Author Topic: As Clock Strikes 12, U.S. Hands Iraq Control of Green Zone  (Read 818 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
As Clock Strikes 12, U.S. Hands Iraq Control of Green Zone
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:34:31 PM »
BAGHDAD, Dec. 31 -- The walls of the majestic Republican Palace in Baghdad's Green Zone have been stripped bare. The vaults that secured American cash and classified documents are gone, and the cement blast walls that protected the front entrance were taken down this week. The U.S. military dining facility inside what was once the American Embassy served its last meal New Year's Eve.

"This is the end of the world as we know it," said Sgt. 1st Class Patrick McDonald, 47, who co-authored a guide to historic sites in the Green Zone. "It's not like everyone is shredding documents and fleeing Saigon. But we are stepping away from a building."

Saddam Hussein had the palace compound's main building decorated with giant busts of himself to demonstrate his hold over Iraq. After the 2003 U.S.-led invasion, the palace came to symbolize the American role in the country, first as the headquarters of the U.S. occupation authority and later the U.S. Embassy. American civilians and troops held "salsa night" dances around the pool behind the palace before retiring to trailers sheathed in sandbags.

When the clock struck midnight on Wednesday, the U.S. returned the palace to the Iraqi government and relinquished formal control over the Green Zone, a heavily fortified six-square-mile enclave on the Tigris River where key U.S. and Iraqi bureaucracies are situated.
The handover is a sign of the shrinking footprint and influence of the United States in a country where it has lost thousands of lives and spent billions of dollars. For many Iraqis, the handover represents a significant step forward in their gradual reassertion of dominion over their own affairs.

wash post

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: As Clock Strikes 12, U.S. Hands Iraq Control of Green Zone
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »
people in Iraq yearn for the days of Saddam Hussein, their dreams are broken.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »
Do they? When were u there, must have missed that...idiot.
L

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:21:48 AM »
Saddam knew about how the area worked, usa has not the slightest idea.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »
Saddam knew about how the area worked, usa has not the slightest idea.

::)

I'm sure the fact that he "knew about how the area worked" was greatly reassuring to the tens of thousands of Kurds he had exterminated, in addition to untold numbers of his own enemies.

Idiot.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:37:39 AM »
::)

I'm sure the fact that he "knew about how the area worked" was greatly reassuring to the tens of thousands of Kurds he had exterminated, in addition to untold numbers of his own enemies.

Idiot.

stop whining bitch.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:08:04 AM »
in addition to untold numbers of his own enemies.

are you pissed that saddam killed a lot of ppl in iran?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:09:56 AM »
are you pissed that saddam killed a lot of ppl in iran?

Are you pissed that a lot of Iranians killed Iraqis?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »
Are you pissed that a lot of Iranians killed Iraqis?

i dont care if they kill each other, so be it.

However, Dan-O seems to be acting all offended that saddam killed "untold numbers of his own enemies".

I dont lose sleep because saddam killed iraqis or iranians.  I guess dan-O does ???

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »
i dont care if they kill each other, so be it.

However, Dan-O seems to be acting all offended that saddam killed "untold numbers of his own enemies".

I dont lose sleep because saddam killed iraqis or iranians.  I guess dan-O does ???

Listen spinmeister.  You love to put words in people's mouths.  Mars argued that the Iraqis longed for the good old days under Saddam.  I made the point that the good old days weren't so good for the Iraqi people.  Is that so hard to get or are you just playing stupid?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
Listen spinmeister.  You love to put words in people's mouths.  Mars argued that the Iraqis longed for the good old days under Saddam.  I made the point that the good old days weren't so good for the Iraqi people.  Is that so hard to get or are you just playing stupid?

honestly, I don't care how the iraqi ppl live.

Does it matter to me if they're enjoying democracy, if it means I have to sit here in the USA and enjoy a recession because of the $3 billion a week we've pumped into Iraq for the last 5 years??

Hell, they've received the ultimate stimulus package.  $12 billion per month, being spent on their security and infrastructure.  I wish they were spending that much in the USA.  Our bridges are collapsing, but Iraq has new ones.  Our govt is running a multi-tril deficit and guess what, iraq is sitting pretty with a  $100 billion surplus.

The war is the reason our economy is in the pits.  I couldn't give a rats ass if satan himself was running Iraq.  They didn't fvck with us before.  They're a huge money drain so some hateful idiots I've never met can live better?