Author Topic: In basketball battle of alma maters, Obama beats Palin  (Read 495 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
In basketball battle of alma maters, Obama beats Palin
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »
I bet the Barracuda would have run circles around Obama.   :)

In basketball battle of alma maters, Obama beats Palin
By Paul Honda

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jan 01, 2009

At the St. Francis Merv Lopes Classic, Wasilla (Alaska) took the court and lost 47-41 to defending Hawaii state champion Punahou on the morning after the big blackout.

The significance? Wasilla is the alma mater of former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin, who was a point guard on the school's girls state championship team. Punahou, of course, is alma mater of president-elect Barack Obama, who happens to be vacationing right down the highway from the tournament at King Armory in Kaneohe.

None of the current players were born when Palin played on Wasilla's 1982 title team. This year's tallest player, 6-foot-7 John Knowles, was a Palin supporter.

"I would've voted for McCain," the junior said. "But I don't think any of us really think about it."

David Green, a 6-4 sophomore, straddled the fence.

"My parents voted for Obama. They thought his stance was the best," he said, pointing out that he is neutral when it comes to politics. "I didn't really study it much."

Green has an older sister attending the University of Hawaii, and he dreams of playing football for the Warriors. He was stunned to learn, however, that UH doesn't use tight ends, his natural position.

A foot of snow was on the ground when they boarded their plane in Anchorage, delaying their departure for an hour. By the next day, another 16 inches fell. The temperature when they boarded the flight from Anchorage: 13 degrees.

Punahou reached the semifinals of the tourney before losing to powerful De La Salle (Calif.). Wasilla was 3-1 in the tourney.

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/20090101_in_basketball_battle_of_alma_maters_obama_beats_palin.html