Author Topic: "farve should have been benched"  (Read 6945 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
"farve should have been benched"
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »
I have no idea who the jets back up was but its kinda funny that this is coming out now

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txjetsjonesfavre&prov=st&type=lgns

NEW YORK (TICKER) —New York Jets running back Thomas Jones earlier this week told a local radio station that future Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre should have been benched at some point during the season.

Jones told Hot 97 FM on Tuesday that Favre’s mistakes hurt the Jets down the stretch.

New York lost four if its last five games, and the 39-year-old Favre tossed nine interceptions with just two touchdowns in that span. Favre finished with 22 touchdowns and a league-worst 22 interceptions, but still somehow made the Pro Bowl.

“We’re a team and we win together. … But at the same time, you can’t turn the ball over and expect to win,” Jones told the radio station two days after Favre tossed three interceptions in the season-ending loss to Miami.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: "farve should have been benched"
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
He's right.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 07:03:47 PM »
Interesting reflection of true locker room sentiment i'm guessing.

In practical terms the more imporatant thing IMO was the fact that right around the time their losing streak started, Favre had convinced the coaches to "open up the offense". This guy's ego is unbelievable, essentially he contributed mightily to the coach's dismissal, even though it was the coaches faults were agreeing to the request. If they hadn't done as he'd asked, being benched might not have mattered as much.

Favre aloof in locker room, created resentment

If Brett Favre wants to play another year with the Jets, he'll have to work a lot harder to win over his teammates than he did this season.

"There was a lot of resentment in the room about him," a Jets player told Newsday yesterday. He requested anonymity because team owner Woody Johnson has stated publicly that Favre is welcome to return next season if he wants to. (Favre reportedly will take until the end of February to decide about returning.)

The 39-year-old quarterback is not as welcome with his teammates, according to this veteran. After the Jets traded for Favre Aug. 6, the sure Hall of Famer made no effort to ingratiate himself with the already assembled team, the veteran said. He said Favre spent most of his down time at the practice facility in an office specially designated for him near the equipment room, not with teammates in the locker room, even after the media departed.

"He never socialized with us, never went to dinner with anyone," the player said. Asked to describe Favre in a word, he said: "Distant."

On Monday, Kerry Rhodes said: "If he's dedicated and he wants to come back and do this, and do it the right way ... and be here when we're here in training camp and the minicamps and working out with us ... then I'm fine with it. But don't come back if it's going to be halfhearted or he doesn't want to put the time in with us."

A foxsports.com report Sunday said Favre wasn't happy being called out by Eric Mangini in front of the team, as the coach did with all of his players when they made mistakes. But the Jet who requested anonymity said that didn't seem to be the case.

"If he was hurt by that stuff, I'd be shocked, because Eric barely said anything to him," the player said. "Guys would be getting called out for missed assignments or blown coverages, and Brett would have three picks and no one would say a word." Mangini addressed the team for the last time Monday. The player said the former coach revealed a much different side than he showed before, telling players he'd been tough and aloof only to get the most out of them.

According to the player -- and he was backed by very supportive comments about Mangini from other Jets -- very few in the room thought Mangini deserved to be fired, and that the acquisition of Favre and his subsequent "me-first" attitude hurt the Jets more than anything.

"Eric," he said, "wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs."

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »
i've been saying for 5 years that this overrated qb is nothing but trouble

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
The irony is that in trying to keep his career alive and increase his legend he's diminished it significantly, considering both the Packers drama and now this one.

It's cast him in a very different light than that created by the media over the years. Essentially they gave him a pass i'd guess on various things, and it was always favorable press. Some of the behavior mentioned above must've been seen in GB for years but was never mentioned, i'm guessing.

Even in his peak years i'd never have wanted him on a team to be honest.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:24:42 AM »
The rats start to scurry when they think the ship is sinking.

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 06:49:40 AM »
As a Dolphins fan, I am loving everything that has happened. 

Brett Favre really is the best thing to happen to Miami in a while.  :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:28:55 AM »
The irony is that in trying to keep his career alive and increase his legend he's diminished it significantly, considering both the Packers drama and now this one.

It's cast him in a very different light than that created by the media over the years.
Essentially they gave him a pass i'd guess on various things, and it was always favorable press. Some of the behavior mentioned above must've been seen in GB for years but was never mentioned, i'm guessing.

Even in his peak years i'd never have wanted him on a team to be honest.
So true, I always had respect for farve but after this year and all that happend the shit in green bay and everything else it really does taint his legacy he acted like a little bitch with the green bay situation in my honest opinion

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
I never thought Brett was a media whore or thought he was better than everyone else but the last couple of years I am starting to think
he is nothing but a phony.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »
Favre is a drama queen and his last few years he has stunk in the playoffs, but that's not how he will be remembered.  Many aging veterans play a year or three too long and stink up the field.  Anyone remember Marino's last year?  He could barely throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. 

Favre will be remembered for the following:

- Winning a Super Bowl
- Winning more games than any QB in NFL history
- Throwing more TDs than any QB in NFL history
- Throwing for more yards than any QB in NFL history
- Making the Pro Bowl 9 times
- Being an all pro 3 times
- Being league MVP 3 times

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »
i'll remember him for holding the packers hostage for many offseasons and his poor playoff performances

E
E

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
All that and Rivers has the leagues best rating at 105.5 and he doesnt make the Pro Bowl either.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »
All that and Rivers has the leagues best rating at 105.5 and he doesnt make the Pro Bowl either.
those qb ratings dont mean shit, david carr had always had great qb ratings and so did rex grossman. those dont always translate into great games or wins for your team.

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 09:41:01 AM »
those qb ratings dont mean shit, david carr had always had great qb ratings and so did rex grossman. those dont always translate into great games or wins for your team.

I agree with you totally, I am just trying to make the point that Brett had 22 touchdowns and 22 interceptions and that Rivers was more deserving to go to the PB than Brett was.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »
I agree with you totally, I am just trying to make the point that Brett had 22 touchdowns and 22 interceptions and that Rivers was more deserving to go to the PB than Brett was.
I agree whole heartedly its horse shit, but like i said earlier when they voted for the pro bowl rivers was sucking it up and farve was kicking ass. They should wait till the end of the season and it is a fan based vote so are you really suprised farve got in?

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Amen to that!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »
I agree Farve has been overrated in the last few years.  He seemed to always throw interceptions when under pressure and behind in games trying to force the ball too much.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »
Favre is a drama queen and his last few years he has stunk in the playoffs, but that's not how he will be remembered.  Many aging veterans play a year or three too long and stink up the field.  Anyone remember Marino's last year?  He could barely throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. 

Favre will be remembered for the following:

- Winning a Super Bowl
- Winning more games than any QB in NFL history
- Throwing more TDs than any QB in NFL history
- Throwing for more yards than any QB in NFL history
- Making the Pro Bowl 9 times
- Being an all pro 3 times
- Being league MVP 3 times

Farve is the most debatable QB when the term "over rated" comes into play, and its not by accident. None of the other Greats get mentioned with the term over rated like Farve does.  People forget that Reggie White had more to do with the Packers winning the SB, their defense that year was very good.
You forgot to mention that Marino's last year he dealt with a severe nerve problem in his neck and arm which affected his play, at least the Dolphins were in the playoffs Marino's last year..
are you including this year in the 9 Pro Bowl appearances you mentioned??  ::)  yeah cause he deserves to go to Honolulu this year..

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
Farve is the most debatable QB when the term "over rated" comes into play, and its not by accident. None of the other Greats get mentioned with the term over rated like Farve does.  People forget that Reggie White had more to do with the Packers winning the SB, their defense that year was very good.
You forgot to mention that Marino's last year he dealt with a severe nerve problem in his neck and arm which affected his play, at least the Dolphins were in the playoffs Marino's last year..
are you including this year in the 9 Pro Bowl appearances you mentioned??  ::)  yeah cause he deserves to go to Honolulu this year..

There have always been QBs like Favre, many who are highly aclaimed-Elway's a good example. He only won the SB in the last few years, when the coaching changed and he was open to or forced to learn some lessons on how to be a better QB from previous loses. Not quite Favre like stupidity but similar in many ways until later. Same applies to Peyton Manning. Favre's late-season meltdown happened after he went to the coaches and demanded that they "open up the offense" ie revert to his old ways. It was the coaching staff's fault for allowing it, but we don't know how much ownership pressure there was to go with his wishes.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »
Actually there have always been QBs like Favre-Elway's a good example. He only won the SB in the last few years, when the coaching changed and he learned some lessons on how to be a better QB from previous loses. Not quite Favre like stupidity but similar in many ways until later. Same applies to Peyton Manning. Favre's late-season meltdown happened after he went to the coaches and demanded that they "open up the offense" ie revert to his old ways.

elway didn't learn new lessons, he finally had a running game

those teams elway lost to in the super bowl were vastly superior, although the packers led by favre were 13 point favorites over the broncos and they lost

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 01:02:12 PM »
elway didn't learn new lessons, he finally had a running game

those teams elway lost to in the super bowl were vastly superior, although the packers led by favre were 13 point favorites over the broncos and they lost

E

Wrong, that's the simple, convenient excuse for him. You're ignoring the fact that he had completely different coaches at that point, telling him how to play better.

Montana won his first SB with RBs about as good as Denvers, learn the game better dood. ;)

Also, if he was smarter he'd have pushed management and coaching for a better running game all those early years, which he clearly didnt.

Same mistakes apply to Marino BTW.

Only the best of the best QBs understood how to work it right out of the box-Montana, Bradshaw for example.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 01:07:26 PM »
Wrong, that's the simple, convenient excuse for him. He also played differently in terms of running the offense later in his career. Montana won his first SB with RBs about as good as Denvers, learn the game better dood. ;)

Also, if he was smarter he'd have pushed management and coaching for a better running game all those early years, which he clearly didnt.

ok terrel davis made no difference whatsoever ::)

davis was a 6th round pick, it's not always easy to find elite running backs

john elway was thought of as an all time great qb before he won a super bowl because he carried mediocre teams to the game, davis was the mvp of the super bowl against the packers and was the league mvp the next year

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:22 PM »
ok terrel davis made no difference whatsoever ::)

davis was a 6th round pick, it's not always easy to find elite running backs

john elway was thought of as an all time great qb before he won a super bowl because he carried mediocre teams to the game, davis was the mvp of the super bowl against the packers and was the league mvp the next year

E

It's not just having a great RB-there are plenty of teams that won without that.

Most of the highly aclaimed QBs are selfish bastards until forced to change by defeats or different coaches. Elway and Manning changed after losing, Marino never did. Jimmy Johnson's biggest mistake was not trading Marino early for a load of draft picks.

All of those guys if they'd understood the game better could've pressured coaching and managemenet for better RBs and recievers, never did. That would've been part of the solution, along with playing differently.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »

It's not just having a great RB-you haven't addressed montana winning SBs without that.

Most of the highly aclaimed QBs are selfish bastards until forced to change by defeats or different coaches.

roger craig was very good and the 9ers defense was great, not to mention montana had jerry rice

the 89 team that went 15 - 1 and crushed the broncos is arguably the best team ever

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
roger craig was very good and the 9ers defense was great, not to mention montana had jerry rice

the 89 team that went 15 - 1 and crushed the broncos is arguably the best team ever

E

You're really losing it, i said first SB, 1981. Were you even aware of football then? LOL