Author Topic: Pumping Iron George Butler - alive and well  (Read 1032 times)

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
Pumping Iron George Butler - alive and well
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:56:37 AM »
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/142440/TV-host-Charlie-Rose-mistakenly-declares-friend-dead

NEW YORK – Filmmaker George Butler, whose 1977 film "Pumping Iron" featured a then-unknown bodybuilder named Arnold Schwarzenegger, wants his friends to know he's very much alive, despite a premature obituary on a TV talk show this week.

During "The Charlie Rose Show's" annual New Year's Eve tribute on PBS to notable figures who during the year, he included Butler. The screen even flashed a Butler tombstone, 1943-2008.

The PBS show had confused him with another George Butler, a longtime jazz record executive who signed Wynton Marsalis, who died April 9.

What's odd about the mistake is that Rose and Butler are old friends through Rose's first wife, meeting shortly after they graduated from college in North Carolina.

Butler, who lives in Holderness, New Hampshire and is making a film on Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans, didn't see his obit but learned about it when a fellow filmmaker called. He found out that some friends in New York were even planning a wake.

"I am bemused," he said. "Charlie did a great job in retracting the huge error. Still, it's very disconcerting."

At least he was in good company, Butler said, noting that he was featured with Paul Newman, Tim Russert and William F. Buckley. A contrite Rose was on the phone with him three times on New Year's Day to apologize, he said.

Rose, who did not immediately respond to e-mail messages seeking comment, apologized at the opening of Thursday's show.

"The George Butler who is my friend is alive and well and living in New Hampshire," Rose said. "We apologize to him and his friends, and look forward to having him on the program in the new year." - AP

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
Re: George Butler is still alive and well
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:22:53 AM »
(pic courtesy of AP Photo/Jennifer Graylock)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »
Good to see George flexin' it up. But what about Charles Gaines?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »
Is that a suit from the 70s?
Z

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
Pumping Iron Director Dies: George Butler
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:06:22 AM »
 Pumping Iron Director Dies: George Butler     
Written by The Roving Reporter   
Monday, 05 January 2009

As has been widely reported, Charlie Rose made a terrible faux pas during his annual New Year's Eve tribute on PBS to important people who died in 2008 when he included filmmaker George Butler among the dead.

Butler's best known film is Pumping Iron, which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger during his bodybuilding days.

Unfortunately, the talk-show host had confused the moviemaker George Butler with jazz record executive George Butler -- a driving force behind Wynton Marsalis -- who had died April 9.

What makes the mistake unusual is that filmmaker Butler and Rose are friends!

"The George Butler who is my friend is alive and well and living in New Hampshire," Rose said on his show last Thursday. "We apologize to him and his friends, and look forward to having him on the program in the new year."

As for Butler, he told the Washington Post, "I am bemused. Charlie did a great job in retracting the huge error. Still, it's very disconcerting."

Army of One

• Getbig V
Re: Pumping Iron Director Dies: George Butler
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 06:06:57 AM »
Monster 2 week old news.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 06:30:15 AM »
Monster 2 week old news.

I was thinking the same thing.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:33 AM »
musclecenter is always at the forefront with he latest man in thong news.