Author Topic: Patriots commit $29 million to QBs next season  (Read 1666 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Patriots commit $29 million to QBs next season
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:20:39 PM »
Smart move....if you win it all, which is doubtful.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Patriots commit $29 million to QBs next season
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:24:48 PM »

next season Brady should be back right? if so you never know

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
next season Brady should be back right? if so you never know

Chance he might miss the whole season.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »

wow , no kidding

body88

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:27:58 PM »

Cassel will be tagged and traded and they will likley get a high draft pick to go along with their slew of draft pics next year.  If they pull that off, that will be awesome.  I think the pats have a great shot to win it next year.  The D has been about 75% rebuilt, and they had over 14 players on ir this year and still went 11-5.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »
wow , no kidding

That's the last I heard. 

body88

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 02:29:26 PM »

I wouldn't count on that just yet.  Peter King says the exact opposite, and since tagging and trading players is looked down on by the CBA, this could be a ploy to shut them up. I believe Cassel will be tagged and traded before the season, or play a few games then be traded.  No way they let the guy walk without getting something for him.

NBC DISPUTES NBC REPORT ON BRADY
Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2008, 7:42 p.m. EST
So on Sunday morning, Tom Curran of NBCSports.com reported that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady might miss the 2009 season due to his slower-than-expected recovery from knee surgery.

And on Sunday night Peter King of NBC contradicted the, um, NBC report.

King said on Football Night In America that two people close to Brady dispute the report, claiming that he’s actually ahead of schedule.

Per King, there’s also a theory in the Brady camp that the Patriots are floating a phony story in order to get more value for quarterback Matt Cassel via a trade.

Of course, to trade Cassel, the Patriots would have to slap the franchise tag on Cassel.  But King has previously opined that the Pats won’t franchise Cassel if Brady is healthy.
NBC DISPUTES NBC REPORT ON BRADY
Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2008, 7:42 p.m. EST
So on Sunday morning, Tom Curran of NBCSports.com reported that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady might miss the 2009 season due to his slower-than-expected recovery from knee surgery.

And on Sunday night Peter King of NBC contradicted the, um, NBC report.

King said on Football Night In America that two people close to Brady dispute the report, claiming that he’s actually ahead of schedule.

Per King, there’s also a theory in the Brady camp that the Patriots are floating a phony story in order to get more value for quarterback Matt Cassel via a trade.

Of course, to trade Cassel, the Patriots would have to slap the franchise tag on Cassel.  But King has previously opined that the Pats won’t franchise Cassel if Brady is healthy.

body88

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »

That's the last I heard. 

I live two blocks from Brady on Comm ave in Boston.  I see him a lot around the area, and I happened to see him on Friday night while he was with Giselle (no bullshit).  I saw him at a place called Bricco here in Boston, and he looked fine to me.  I know that you cant tell much from a guy just walking around, but I highly doubt that he would be strolling about if his injury was still really bad.  I think it's all hype so that the CBA can't go after the pats if they tag and trade (as shown above).  If anything he might be behind schedule due to the infection, but I doubt he's out more than a few games in 09 max.  Who knows!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
I live two blocks from Brady on Comm ave in Boston.  I see him a lot around the area, and I happened to see him on Friday night while he was with Giselle (no bullshit).  I saw him at a place called Bricco here in Boston, and he looked fine to me.  I know that you cant tell much from a guy just walking around, but I highly doubt that he would be strolling about if his injury was still really bad.  I think it's all hype so that the CBA can't go after the pats if they tag and trade (as shown above).  If anything he might be behind schedule due to the infection, but I doubt he's out more than a few games in 09 max.  Who knows!

he live on Comm ave? I would have figured him for Beacon Hill

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »
I live two blocks from Brady on Comm ave in Boston.  I see him a lot around the area, and I happened to see him on Friday night while he was with Giselle (no bullshit).  I saw him at a place called Bricco here in Boston, and he looked fine to me.  I know that you cant tell much from a guy just walking around, but I highly doubt that he would be strolling about if his injury was still really bad. I think it's all hype so that the CBA can't go after the pats if they tag and trade (as shown above).  If anything he might be behind schedule due to the infection, but I doubt he's out more than a few games in 09 max.  Who knows!

I obviously never played in the NFL, but even for lower-tiered athletes, there's a major difference between being able to do the regular stuff that people do in their daily lives and doing the things that are required of a starting NFL QB on the field. 

When you've had a serious knee injury, many can walk around with no noticeable limp within a few months...but trying to push off with the injured leg?  Forget about it. 

body88

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »
I obviously never played in the NFL, but even for lower-tiered athletes, there's a major difference between being able to do the regular stuff that people do in their daily lives and doing the things that are required of a starting NFL QB on the field. 

When you've had a serious knee injury, many can walk around with no noticeable limp within a few months...but trying to push off with the injured leg?  Forget about it. 

My point was that Brady was in a very serious situation with his knee, I doubt he would be out partying it up in the public eye.  Couple that with the CBA getting pissed at teams tagging and trading players, plus the king article posted above, and I think there is some exaggeration going on here.  Whats the worst that can happen, the pats get Matt Cassel for a year?

Having torn my acl and my brother tearing both his acl and pcl, I can say for a fact that the injury can be recovered from.  We wont know for sure until a least may.  Rivers had his best year as a pro coming off an acl.

We won't know until next year.  The pats have a great shot to win it all.  They went 11-5 under the worst cirsumstances imaginable this year.

body88

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
he live on Comm ave? I would have figured him for Beacon Hill

Yes.  Welker to.  I see them all the time. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »

Very true.  I'm just basing on the national reports.  Sounds like the infection is the real problem, so they don't want to rush anything.  They really can't lose by signing Cassell.  Insurance if Brady is out and tradebait if Brady plays.  Maybe swing a deal to get the #1 pick from Detroit and then trade down.  Sounds good to me.

body88

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »
Very true.  I'm just basing on the national reports.  Sounds like the infection is the real problem, so they don't want to rush anything.  They really can't lose by signing Cassell.  Insurance if Brady is out and tradebait if Brady plays.  Maybe swing a deal to get the #1 pick from Detroit and then trade down.  Sounds good to me.

Gotcha.  I really don't know whats going to happen, but I think that Brady will be back.  Maybe Detriot could use their second first rounder on him.  Who knows.  I wouldent mind seeing the kid go help a team win a sb.  He took a ton of shit here when he first started.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 05:54:18 AM »

As you know, this has been a very hot topic on the radio up here.  One thing that stood out - there's no way Brady can be ahead of schedule.  The infection alone cost him six weeks of delay on his rehab.

Apparently Curran is very respected, always has reliable sources, and would have never gone to press if he wasn't sure.  Yes, he could be being played by the Pats, but this story was put out with the author believing his story to be entirely fact.

Y

body88

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 05:59:46 AM »
As you know, this has been a very hot topic on the radio up here.  One thing that stood out - there's no way Brady can be ahead of schedule.  The infection alone cost him six weeks of delay on his rehab.

Apparently Curran is very respected, always has reliable sources, and would have never gone to press if he wasn't sure.  Yes, he could be being played by the Pats, but this story was put out with the author believing his story to be entirely fact.

There is no way you can know anything for sure.  Brady's infection came on so early that it might not have effected his return for the regular season and he might infact be behind schedule.  Curran is a respected journalist and so isn't King.  I didn't write the article you qouted....PFT did.  I don't know what is going to happen, but I do know that this story will change 600 times before we find out for sure.  Imo Cassel will be tagged and traded.  I saw Brady at Bricco on Friday night, and he looked to be in good spirits and while you can't tell the status of a knee injury by seeing someone walking, you can tell when someone has a major infection and they look sick.  He looked fine.

Lastly, whats the WORST that can happen?  We have Cassel start the season for us then trade him?  Thats fine with me.  Shit, if Brady could never play again (which he will) we would still be fine.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 06:03:35 AM »
Smart move.look what happened to the Jets las year with Chad.