Author Topic: New to Powerlifting  (Read 6665 times)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
New to Powerlifting
« on: January 06, 2009, 08:36:24 PM »
I plan on competing in Feb. I just want to do one meet so I know what to expect in the future and to get my feet wet.

With that said I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect form their past experiences? Do you get to warm up or do you go straight to the lifts, etc. This will be USAPL event in MD. I am competing raw and will be doing all 3 lifts.

Any insight would be appreciated!

John O

• Getbig III
Re: New to Powerlifting
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
Where's the meet at? I live in MD
Get there as early as you can so you won't have to rush. Yes theres a warm up before each lift but can get crowded. What I use to do is right after my last squat attempt, I would rest a few minutes then grap a light warm up set or 2 on the bench before the rush LOL. Same for the deadlift. But I competed in the 132# class, so I had a little extra time.  Read there rules on there website. Just make sure you have all your attempts planned out. If you have anymore specfic questions post um.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:59:58 AM »
I plan on competing in Feb. I just want to do one meet so I know what to expect in the future and to get my feet wet.

With that said I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect form their past experiences? Do you get to warm up or do you go straight to the lifts, etc. This will be USAPL event in MD. I am competing raw and will be doing all 3 lifts.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Plan on doing competition like lifts the next few weeks. Doesn't have to be with heavy weights, you could do it with 135 lbs, but have someone give you all the signals and shit.

Squat:

1.You lift the barbell off and walk it out.
2. Then make sure to stand fully erect. If you're tilted forward you won't get a "start" command.
3. Then squat up and down, no pause or anything.
4. Once you're back up with the weight, WAIT until you get a "rack" command from the head judge.
5. Walk back with the weight.

Benchpress:
1. Lift off the weight with or without a spotter.
2. Wait for the start signal.
3. Then lower the bar and stop it at the chest, wait for a "press" command.
4. Once you're up, wait for a rack command.

Deadlift:
1. Pull the weight (there is no "Start" command!!!)
2. At the top you'll get a "Down" command.
3. Hold on to the bar the whole time until the bar hits the floor.
As empty as paradise

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 05:30:09 AM »
Thanks!

I didn't know about the squat and the no pause on the bottom, and tilting and not getting the squat command.
I read something about the warm up but I didn't think about it being crowded.
Is it cutomairy to eat after the weigh in? and eating through out the meet?
I am looking for a soild black singlet, any suggestions where to look? I have found some but they all rock the giant logos on them, which i don't mind I would just prefer a solid black one (gay, I know).
I have to practice on getting all 3 lights!

Its the navy open in MD.
http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/page.asp?contentID=129

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »
Good luck!

What are your target numbers?

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
http://www.inzernet.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=10&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1

In case that link don't work LOL      http://www.inzernet.com/index.asp

you can get  the singlet without logo as well.

As  Hedgehog said.   Remember to wait for the "rack" signel when you get the weight up in the bench!!  I have lost count of how many lifters get 3 reds because they get so excited lifting the weight they forget to wait for the judge to say "rack"
Masters- 50-54
148#

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:25:45 AM »
Thanks!

I didn't know about the squat and the no pause on the bottom, and tilting and not getting the squat command.
I read something about the warm up but I didn't think about it being crowded.
Is it cutomairy to eat after the weigh in? and eating through out the meet?
I am looking for a soild black singlet, any suggestions where to look? I have found some but they all rock the giant logos on them, which i don't mind I would just prefer a solid black one (gay, I know).
I have to practice on getting all 3 lights!

Its the navy open in MD.
http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/page.asp?contentID=129

If you have been working hard to cut weight I would definitely eat after the weigh in. It's up to yourself really. On a competition day I try to eat consistently, means I'm never short on energy and gives me something to do while I'm waiting about  ;D Just be careful you don't eat too much!

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »
 "Lifters must wear socks that cover the shins when deadlifting" Wow is this new??  Never had to do that before??

One other thing that I just thought about. In the bench, if you come alone ask one of the spotters to give you a hand off (if allowed) if not fine somebody! you would be suprised what a diffrence that makes.

In my very first meet I almost bombed out in the bench!For one I now know I went to heavy LOL. 1st attempt was what should have been my third!   :-[   I was by myself and just unracked the weight myself and missed the first 2 attempts!!  One of the judges came up and said  why don't you take a hand off from one of the spotters? I didn't know you could, so I did on my 3rd and made the lift.
Masters- 50-54
148#

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »
"Lifters must wear socks that cover the shins when deadlifting" Wow is this new??  Never had to do that before??

One other thing that I just thought about. In the bench, if you come alone ask one of the spotters to give you a hand off (if allowed) if not fine somebody! you would be suprised what a diffrence that makes.

In my very first meet I almost bombed out in the bench!For one I now know I went to heavy LOL. 1st attempt was what should have been my third!   :-[   I was by myself and just unracked the weight myself and missed the first 2 attempts!!  One of the judges came up and said  why don't you take a hand off from one of the spotters? I didn't know you could, so I did on my 3rd and made the lift.

Yeh, the socks thing is to stop blood from getting on the bar. Health and safety and all that.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »
Good luck!
What are your target numbers?
@ 198
bench 335
squat 435
dead 455
which numbers are not all that and I am not even sure if i can hit all of them this time around, but the 198 class in MD does not look that threatening looking at that the last 5 of 5

That’s good to know. I thought that would be automatic thing. I should e-mail the area rep about that.

If you have been working hard to cut weight I would definitely eat after the weigh in. It's up to yourself really. On a competition day I try to eat consistently, means I'm never short on energy and gives me something to do while I'm waiting about  ;D Just be careful you don't eat too much!

I am defiantly cutting weight, hopefully to too much. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't frowned upon to eat after weighing in because this is what i will be doing!

http://www.inzernet.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=10&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1

In case that link don't work LOL      http://www.inzernet.com/index.asp

you can get  the singlet without logo as well.

As  Hedgehog said.   Remember to wait for the "rack" signel when you get the weight up in the bench!!  I have lost count of how many lifters get 3 reds because they get so excited lifting the weight they forget to wait for the judge to say "rack"

I even looked at the site and I didn't see it :-\ oh well i know but i think thats the one i will end up getting with out the logo.

The commands and squat depth are what i am most nervous about. i know i will screw some of them up from excitement, but hopefully i can pull it together on the 3rd lift.

also if i miss an attempt because of a command issue but i know i can hit the bigger weight can i still move up in weight in the next lifts. meaning if i go for 315 in the opening squat and i get red lighted for depth but i know i can do more do i have to do the 315 before moving on?

thanks guys. i know it seems like simple shit but i literally have only truly paid attention to power lifting for about week, week and a half. so all the little info helps out big time!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 05:22:52 PM »
I would recommend opening with lifts that you are certain you can get.  You don't want to bomb out at your first meet. 
Spend the rest of the time between now and the meet practicing the commands, squat depth, and getting familiar with the rules.
If you red light a lift, you can attempt it again or go up in weight, but you can't do down.   So again, just try to get through the first lift.
You can always go balls out on the second and third lift once you are IN the meet.

Good luck!
:)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 07:39:48 PM »
I would recommend opening with lifts that you are certain you can get.  You don't want to bomb out at your first meet. 
Spend the rest of the time between now and the meet practicing the commands, squat depth, and getting familiar with the rules.
If you red light a lift, you can attempt it again or go up in weight, but you can't do down.   So again, just try to get through the first lift.
You can always go balls out on the second and third lift once you are IN the meet.

Good luck!

I just read about "bombing", i didn't realize you could DQ'ed from the meet. I am going for a weight I can do 5x and then I am taking it form there.
i just a email stating that they will provide a spotter to lift off for me, but would it be smart to try and bring one myself or do the ones they provide usually do a decent job?

good luck with your training this year!

6 weeks to go :)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »
I just read about "bombing", i didn't realize you could DQ'ed from the meet. I am going for a weight I can do 5x and then I am taking it form there.
i just a email stating that they will provide a spotter to lift off for me, but would it be smart to try and bring one myself or do the ones they provide usually do a decent job?

If you cannot afford a spotter, one will be appointed to you. ;D

The spotter there will be fine but its always good to have some people you know too. Just for support.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:00:26 AM »

I always prefer having someone I know lift me out. It's a trust thing and force of habit. Call me paranoid  ;D

Keep us up to date with how things are going!

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 02:29:21 AM »
The problem is that i don't work out with anyone. i just asked a buddy of mine to come out, he said he would but he hasn't lifted in a couple years, and never for strength.

Well i have 6 weeks to go and i was just going to rock the same training method i am doing now and just lowering the reps in my sets. but i have been reading a lot of literature here on the ole' internet that say when i am this close to focus just on the big 3. So i am thinking of doing a modified russian peaking program. i think my squat will go up a bit once i get comfortable on how low i need to go, with using the PL technique my bench seems to be going up a bit so i may even surprise myself at the meet, my dead sucks and is not moving.

squat monday, bench wednesday, dead friday
warm up
wk 1: 2x5 @ 78.8% of my known max
wk 2: 2x5 @ 84.3%
wk 3: 2x5 @ 86.7%
wk4: 2x5 @ 89.2%
wk5: 2x3 @ 94%
wk6:2x3 @ 97.6%
finish with a lighter weight to practice form
cardio weeks 1-4

i will adjust my schedule in weeks 5 and 6 so i can move days up. i plan on doing a practice meet at 90% of my projected lifts for the meet, take 2 days off of the gym and hopefully go to the meet some what refreshed ::)

any suggestions are welcomed

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 04:21:20 AM »
I would recommend lightening up and taking more than 2 days off the gym before the meet, like pretty much chilling out for most of the week of the meet.  Plan on finishing all of your heavy training at least a week prior...Nail your openers a week before the meet, and then stretch and do a little light cardio the week of the meet, and maybe do very light lifts 3-4 days out to practice form, commands, etc.

Or something like that...

OH, and if you are going to bring in a friend to unrack the weight for you on the bench, make sure he knows that he needs to step aside and get out of the head judge's way before you will get a start signal!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
I would recommend lightening up and taking more than 2 days off the gym before the meet, like pretty much chilling out for most of the week of the meet.  Plan on finishing all of your heavy training at least a week prior...Nail your openers a week before the meet, and then stretch and do a little light cardio the week of the meet, and maybe do very light lifts 3-4 days out to practice form, commands, etc.

Good point, Rip. I take the week before a competition off and use it for full body movements with no more than 135 on the bar. Furthermore, the second week out from a comp I do no more than 60% work and just concentrate on form and stability.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »
I train Squat on Sat, Bench on Sun, and Deadlift on Tue.
This way ( most meets on a Sat) my last workout before a meet is 9 days in the deadlift, 7 in the squat & 6 in the bench  and those consist of my openers, with out gear.
Masters- 50-54
148#

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
i will do my best to take the week before off but i do not think i have given myself enough time to train to take it easy for 2 weeks. i will see how it pans out

so instead of doing mon - wed - fri
i will be try and do a on-on-off-on-off-off repeat
going squat bench and dead

getting a good a squat has been more difficult than i thought it would be, but i am getting there, i am very confident that i will hit my bench goal, and dead is on thursday.

thanks for all the advice!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 02:53:51 AM »
i will do my best to take the week before off but i do not think i have given myself enough time to train to take it easy for 2 weeks. i will see how it pans out

so instead of doing mon - wed - fri
i will be try and do a on-on-off-on-off-off repeat
going squat bench and dead

getting a good a squat has been more difficult than i thought it would be, but i am getting there, i am very confident that i will hit my bench goal, and dead is on thursday.

thanks for all the advice!

If your meet is on a Saturday you could even train up to the Tuesday of that week. On this Tuesday I'd recommend benching and have your last deadlifts and squats on the Monday and Sunday. The key is really just feeling fresh and ready to go come competition day

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »
Just a little update.

I will probably not make the 198 weight this time but I will for December!

Bench is going great, I have been able to get 2 bench workouts a week. But I tweaked my shoulder and elbow a bit this week but its nothing major.

Squats were going kinda dismal till today. I finally figured out my groove with the form. Earlier this I struggled on getting low enough on all 5 reps. Today I worked up to 315 for 5 with no issues.

I am still having a tough time finding my groove with my form on the deads. My gym does not allow chalk so I haven’t had a chance to use this yet.

I have sent in my entry form, I will register with the USAPL on the day of the comp. I went and bought some chuck rip offs, only because they came in wide for my fat feet.

Thanks everyone for the advice, and good wishes.

After the comp I will probably start posting a training log for my next comp.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 06:01:49 AM »
Good luck!  Just try to keep yourself healthy and injury-free till the meet, and focus on learning to comply with the commands, get deep enough, etc.

There are several people with powerlifting logs on the training board...you can get some good feedback there.  :)

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 07:28:12 AM »
Hey,

Good job on the advice guys!!!

11venthhour,

Listen to these guys and you'll do OK, if there is anything I can do holler!!!

Wolfy!!!!

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 12:22:38 AM »
well one to go! well about one week.

i had my last heavy workout today, i will have a light work out on Wednesday just to go over the mechanics of things so my body doesn't forget whats its doing.

my squats blow ass. i have come to the point of breaking parrel everytime now but my strength in this movement has suffered. but hopefully with training a year the right way i will make up the ground lost when i compete again.

bench is going well. i have a little tinge in my shoulder its been kind of nagging me but its doesn't feel serious.

my dead is on and off again, so hopefully i will be on the upstroke at the meet.

thanks for all the advice. it is killing me to take it easy for most past of this week and all of next week, but i am sure it will help with me being rested.

i will start posting on the training board after this meet, so stop by and tell me what i am doing wrong ;D

i will post pics of the meet as well!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »
If you're worried about your squat, go conservative.  For your opener, go with something that you KNOW you can do to the depth you need...go for it more in the second and third attempts, but don't f*ck yourself on the first lift!

Good luck!