Author Topic: New to Powerlifting  (Read 6687 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: New to Powerlifting
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
Good point, Rip. I take the week before a competition off and use it for full body movements with no more than 135 on the bar. Furthermore, the second week out from a comp I do no more than 60% work and just concentrate on form and stability.

I think exactly what is done the two weeks before a meet will depend exactly on the lifter and how beat up they are.  I actually took my bench openers the week of my last meet and I nailed my benches in the met.  I also take my deadlift openers as far as 3 weeks out.  My lower back recovers slowly and I always want to nail a big squat, so its important that I give it a chance to recover. 

A novice lifter may not notice those things, but I think its important that they make sure to write down notes the two weeks prior to a meet.  The other big thing is don't get goofy with your diet.   Set out a plan for cutting weight if you have too and then follow it. A last minute change will screw you.   My wife missed her weight class by a lb.  I tried sodium manipulation and came in super bloated.   For me its not a big deal, I'm a SHW.  for my wife, it was a huge deal jumping from 132 to 148 and being a really light 148.  Also eat a normal breakfast if its a 24 hour weigh in.  Don't gorge and blow chunks onthe platform or worse yet, don't eat and risk hypoglycemia. 

Final thing, stay calm the day of the meet. The weights feel much heavier if you spend the night pacing the floor.   You've worked for months on this.  You've hit your openers with ease in the gym.  Its just another training day.  Go in, have fun, talk to the other lifters, pick up some hints here and there, and nail your weights.   The mental game will make or break you.   Dont' give it a chance. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 11:01:40 PM »
I think exactly what is done the two weeks before a meet will depend exactly on the lifter and how beat up they are. 

Yes, very true. I dont do PL meets or even strictly PL movements. Strongman takes a serious toll on the body and takes much longer to recover from than normal training. That is more the reason I need to deload as I do and it works really well...for me.

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »
Light warmup light calethetics (example) and stretch before you start warming up foe actual lifts .Helps prevent injury also!!!