Author Topic: Muscle Soreness Needed?  (Read 3092 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: Muscle Soreness Needed?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »
All i know is that since i started stretching a lot, DOMS have been minimal.

Too many people place too much emphasis on DOMS, and seem to determine the effectiveness of a workout by how sore they are the next day.

The stretching prior to a workout could be related to the Z-line theory I mentioned. By applying a smaller force (via stretching) to the muscle before you start training then you could be stretching out the muscle fibres more progressively as you begin training? Therefore you're not just bombing in and causing excessive damage to the fibres

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »
All i know is that since i started stretching a lot, DOMS have been minimal.

Too many people place too much emphasis on DOMS, and seem to determine the effectiveness of a workout by how sore they are the next day.

stretching can help, but after a brutal workout, no amount of stretching is gonna keep you from being sore. my experience anyway
tank u jesus

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »
The stretching prior to a workout could be related to the Z-line theory I mentioned. By applying a smaller force (via stretching) to the muscle before you start training then you could be stretching out the muscle fibres more progressively as you begin training? Therefore you're not just bombing in and causing excessive damage to the fibres

you stretch before ? what about the rubberband in the freezer ???
i only stretch after, sometimes during...but I never stretch cold muscles.
tank u jesus

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 04:15:17 PM »

Interesting.

Admittedly, i only perform minimal stretching pre workout, but between sets and post workout i stretch a lot. Never really got into pre workout stretching, just because of all the stuff you hear about stretching a cold muscle.

stretching can help, but after a brutal workout, no amount of stretching is gonna keep you from being sore. my experience anyway

For me, even after the hardest leg workout, with enough stretching i can feel pretty good the next day. Obviously not 100% pain free, but not as bad as it was before.

I'm training legs today, so i'll see how i go...

No doubt about it...

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
Interesting.

Admittedly, i only perform minimal stretching pre workout, but between sets and post workout i stretch a lot. Never really got into pre workout stretching, just because of all the stuff you hear about stretching a cold muscle.

For me, even after the hardest leg workout, with enough stretching i can feel pretty good the next day. Obviously not 100% pain free, but not as bad as it was before.

I'm training legs today, so i'll see how i go...

Related to another thread, but I've found glutamine really helped me with DOMS.

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »
Lactic acid has nothing to do with DOMS. People believed this like 30 years ago - now we know better.

Agree
JM

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 08:37:50 PM »
Agree
Still PT'ing in Hallandale? Hope not!
I am a big baby

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:52 PM »
I would disagree, DOMS isn't really a measurement of a hard workout, moreso a measurement of a workout that your body wasn't adequately prepared for.

With logic like this you are unlikely to discover anything important in hypertrophy.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »
I would disagree, DOMS isn't really a measurement of a hard workout, moreso a measurement of a workout that your body wasn't adequately prepared for.

Spot on.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 02:37:02 AM »
This topic isn't about opinions but about physical processes that can be observed, measured, tested, etc. Consensus on a musclehead board is hardly exercise science.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 02:37:57 AM »
This topic isn't about opinions but about physical processes that can be observed, measured, tested, etc. Consensus on a musclehead board is hardly exercise science.

Sore loser  :P

But in all seriousness, DOMS isn't necessary for hypertrophy.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 02:39:12 AM »

well what is your opinion on this topic then?
No doubt about it...

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 02:42:19 AM »
i did a back workout only with lots of sets on chins, the soreness is quite painfull.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 02:47:42 AM »

this is 100% true. if you keep getting doms, while doing the same amount of work you are not growing.

here is a post i made on the steroid board last week about this:

its a tough one as there hasn't been any definative scientific conclusions yet, for example this study explains the most logical theorys:

Mechanisms of exercise-induced delayed onset muscular soreness: a brief review.
Armstrong RB.

Delayed-onset muscular soreness (DOMS), the sensation of pain and stiffness in the muscles that occurs from 1 to 5 d following unaccustomed exercise, can adversely affect muscular performance, both from voluntary reduction of effort and from inherent loss of capacity of the muscles to produce force. This reduction in performance is temporary; permanent impairment does not occur. A number of clinical correlates are associated with DOMS, including elevations in plasma enzymes, myoglobinemia, and abnormal muscle histology and ultrastructure; exertional rhabdomyolysis appears to be the extreme form of DOMS. Presently, the best treatment for DOMS appears to be muscular activity, although the sensation again returns following the exercise. Training for the specific contractile activity that causes DOMS reduces the soreness response. The etiology and cellular mechanisms of DOMS are not known, but a number of hypotheses exist to explain the phenomenon. The following model may be proposed: 1) high tensions (particularly those associated with eccentric exercise) in the contractile/elastic system of the muscle result in structural damage; 2) cell membrane damage leads to disruption of Ca++ homeostasis in the injured fibers, resulting in necrosis that peaks about 2 d post-exercise; and 3) products of macrophage activity and intracellular contents accumulate in the interstitium, which in turn stimulate free nerve endings of group-IV sensory neurons in the muscles leading to the sensation of DOMS.

PMID: 6392811 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

however i feel this study rules out the necrosis (cell death) and macrophage activity ( inflamation and clearing of waste) theorys :

Eccentric contractions leading to DOMS do not cause loss of desmin nor fibre necrosis in human muscle.Yu JG, Malm C, Thornell LE.
Department of Integrative Medical Biology, Section for Anatomy, Umeå University, 901 87 Umeå, Sweden.

High force eccentric muscle contractions can result in delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), prolonged loss of muscle strength, decreased range of motion, muscle swelling and an increase of muscle proteins in the blood. At the ultrastructural level Z-line streaming and myofibrillar disruptions have been taken as evidence for muscle damage. In animal models of eccentric exercise-induced injury, disruption of the cytoskeleton and the sarcolemma of muscle fibres occurs within the first hour after the exercise, since a rapid loss of staining of desmin, a cytoskeletal protein, and the presence of fibronectin, a plasma and extracellular protein, are observed within the muscle fibres. In the present study, biopsies from subjects who had performed different eccentric exercises and had developed DOMS were examined. Our aim was to determine whether eccentric exercise leading to DOMS causes sarcolemmal disruption and loss of desmin in humans. Our study shows that even though the subjects had DOMS, muscle fibres had neither lost staining for desmin nor contained plasma fibronectin. This study therefore does not support previous conclusions that there is muscle fibre degeneration and necrosis in human skeletal muscle after eccentric exercise leading to DOMS. Our data are in agreement with the recent findings that there is no inflammatory response in skeletal muscle following eccentric exercise in humans. In combination, these findings should stimulate the search for other mechanisms explaining the functional and structural alterations in human skeletal muscle after eccentric exercise.

this only leaves us with the theory about high tension resulting in structural damage, or some other unhear/undiscovered process.

Personally i think the high tension theory makes the most sense, and that the pain is caused by excessive structural fibre damage as it is simply too much weight/damage for the body to handle ( a bit like sunburn ). This also holds true as everyone knows a light workout helps the pain go away - due to the blood ( carrying nutrients) being pumped into the damaged area ths helping healing/rebuilding.

the next workout there is usually no pain, or at least no where near after a long layoff.

So IMO i think you should not strive for DOMS. Yes you are growing, and yes you can recover, but i just feel its not optimal nor needed. Its certainly not comfortable when its excessive pain and you can barely walk, tand, sit etc

other thoughts: The body produces prostaglandins in response to injury. one of the effects of prostaglandins is to sensitise nerve endings, causing pain (presumably to prevent us from causing further harm to the area) but it also produces inflammation, but if that 2ns study is correct, it can't be that either.
175lbs by 31st July

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 06:39:29 AM »
Most of the work re DOMS is done trying to find ways to lessen or avoid the pain from sport, exertion or exercise. It makes a big difference what the scientists are looking for.

Why are there still questions about this physical process?

Fat Panda wrote
: So IMO i think you should not strive for DOMS. Yes you are growing, and yes you can recover, but i just feel its not optimal nor needed. Its certainly not comfortable when its excessive pain and you can barely walk, tand, sit etc

What has opinion got to do with hypertrophy? What someone feels is needed or optimum doesn't matter, either. Whether it is comfortable or not is irrelevant to rapid growth.

Most of you fellows are merely making your ideas, needs and comfort what exercise should be all about. That is hardly a formula for optimum growth from exercise.

Suppose one wanted to grow as rapidly as possible without drugs or supplements. What would happen if one kept a target muscle quite sore for a month? Would that muscle grow rapidly? Assuming, of course, that sufficient nutrients were provided. Does a muscle have to recover to grow rapidly? What about the repeated bout effect?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 07:59:30 AM »

Most of you fellows are merely making your ideas, needs and comfort what exercise should be all about. That is hardly a formula for optimum growth from exercise.

you have not even mearly made an idea. you have simply added more questions while alluding to some secret that only you know.........

dianabol
175lbs by 31st July

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 08:07:57 AM »
There are a few theories behind DOMS. One is to do with the Z lines of sarcomeres being disrupted and plasma proteins leaking out of the cell, creating an inflammatory response, hence the swollen feeling and pain. In a lot of clinical investigations they use creatine kinase (one of the plasma proteins) as a marker for DOMS. Prostaglandin E2 is also involved in the inflammatory response and this is why a lot of people believe that NSAIDs can help recovery from DOMS.

Another theory is to do with the production of reactive oxygen species and an influx of phagocytes or something  ???
pge2 is produce in response to pga2 ? so maybe doms is in response to pga2 as a result pge2 ass a result doms ?

make sense?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »
Most of the work re DOMS is done trying to find ways to lessen or avoid the pain from sport, exertion or exercise. It makes a big difference what the scientists are looking for.

Why are there still questions about this physical process?

Fat Panda wrote
: So IMO i think you should not strive for DOMS. Yes you are growing, and yes you can recover, but i just feel its not optimal nor needed. Its certainly not comfortable when its excessive pain and you can barely walk, tand, sit etc

What has opinion got to do with hypertrophy? What someone feels is needed or optimum doesn't matter, either. Whether it is comfortable or not is irrelevant to rapid growth.

Suppose one wanted to grow as rapidly as possible without drugs or supplements. What would happen if one kept a target muscle quite sore for a month? Would that muscle grow rapidly? Assuming, of course, that sufficient nutrients were provided. Does a muscle have to recover to grow rapidly? What about the repeated bout effect?

If you want to grow as rapidly as possible without drugs or supplements then by all means train for a week making sure you hurt like hell. You'll be bigger, how much of that is due to actual hypertrophy and not an inflammatory response is debatable. Train consistently like that for months and years without drugs or supplements and you will quickly plateau and will have grown much less than someone else who trains smarter.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2009, 08:15:08 AM »
pge2 is produce in response to pga2 ? so maybe doms is in response to pga2 as a result pge2 ass a result doms ?

make sense?

I'm a little confused. What's the function of pga2? Something in the back of my head is telling me it stops the growth of cells? Anyway, is it released in response to pge2? Didn't know this. Educate me!  ;D

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 08:16:15 AM »

make sense?

If you want to grow as rapidly as possible without drugs or supplements then by all means train for a week making sure you hurt like hell. You'll be bigger, how much of that is due to actual hypertrophy and not an inflammatory response is debatable. Train consistently like that for months and years without drugs or supplements and you will quickly plateau and will have grown much less than someone else who trains smarter.

read that 2nd study i posted, there is no inflammory responce., therefore no prostaglandins ( as this produces inflammation).
175lbs by 31st July

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2009, 08:16:21 AM »
are you saying one should not train hard because of soreness?
tank u jesus

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2009, 08:21:53 AM »
I'm a little confused. What's the function of pga2? Something in the back of my head is telling me it stops the growth of cells? Anyway, is it released in response to pge2? Didn't know this. Educate me!  ;D
well i am only slightly educated about prostaglandins. i know pgf2a is highly anabolic and also highly lipolytic.  i know there is a counter prostaglandin for pgf2a, which is ver anti anabolic and lipogenic.  i assume pge2 is this counter prostaglandin, because when evcer ive seen it written, it was pgf2e. but i doubt theress anydiffere, just a difference in abbreviation.

the anabolic lipolytic prostaglandin is used sometimes by bodybuilders.

http://mesomorphosis.com/steroid-profiles/prostaglandins.htm

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2009, 08:22:28 AM »
I know some pussies that go out of there way to not be sore.less reps,less weight,less sets.If you bust your ass in the gym for an hour and don't feel it the next day then you wasn't busting your ass.
DAWG

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »

however i feel this study rules out the necrosis (cell death) and macrophage activity ( inflamation and clearing of waste) theorys :

Eccentric contractions leading to DOMS do not cause loss of desmin nor fibre necrosis in human muscle.Yu JG, Malm C, Thornell LE.
Department of Integrative Medical Biology, Section for Anatomy, Umeå University, 901 87 Umeå, Sweden.

other thoughts: The body produces prostaglandins in response to injury. one of the effects of prostaglandins is to sensitise nerve endings, causing pain (presumably to prevent us from causing further harm to the area) but it also produces inflammation, but if that 2ns study is correct, it can't be that either.

I can't access the study in bold at the moment. I'll need to see if I can get it somewhere else. The author here seems to be saying that necrosis does not cause DOMS and in turn, therefore prostaglandins can't be involved if I'm reading correctly? ??? I'm not sure how this conclusion was drawn, as the presence of prostaglandins does not always mean necrosis.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2009, 08:27:43 AM »
well i am only slightly educated about prostaglandins. i know pgf2a is highly anabolic and also highly lipolytic.  i know there is a counter prostaglandin for pgf2a, which is ver anti anabolic and lipogenic.  i assume pge2 is this counter prostaglandin, because when evcer ive seen it written, it was pgf2e. but i doubt theress anydiffere, just a difference in abbreviation.

the anabolic lipolytic prostaglandin is used sometimes by bodybuilders.

http://mesomorphosis.com/steroid-profiles/prostaglandins.htm

By that reasoning then if pge2 is present in DOMS then it's counterproductive in terms of muscle-building to induce DOMS?