Author Topic: This weekend's best playoff games are on Sunday  (Read 5081 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
This weekend's best playoff games are on Sunday
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »
At least on paper..

-1 pm Giants/Eagles

-445 pm Steelers/Chargers

BUT
-Sat 415 Ravens/Titans has good potential.

Usually one of the best football weekends of the year. ;)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: This weekend's best playoff games are on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »
they always put the best matchups on sunday

E
E

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
Sundays are always a good day to watch the steelers get eliminated

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »
says a chargers fan

i will meltdown if the chargers beat the mighty steelers, they don't even belong in the playoffs

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
For One Night, GIs in Iraq Get a Taste of Home: Football and Beer

The waiver, issued Wednesday by Gen. Ray Odierno, marks the first time all American service members in Iraq will be allowed to break the ban on liquor in combat zones without risking being court-martialed.

"Feels good to be trusted!" rejoiced Spec. Justin Roark, 23, of Little Rock, who is stationed in Baghdad. "Keeping in touch with an American tradition."

The Super Bowl, which will be held Feb. 1 in Tampa, occurs during a 40-day period of religious discipline observed by Iraq's majority Shiite Muslim community. Perhaps mindful of that, Odierno instructed commanders to "keep in mind all host nation laws and customs regarding alcohol use."

Troops in Iraq wishing to watch the game will have to stay up late. It will be 2 a.m. in Baghdad when the live broadcast starts. For that reason, the grace period will be in effect Feb. 1 and 2.

Odierno played tight end at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. The general , 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds, is a huge football fan.

"No doubt about that," said his spokesman, Lt. Col. James Hutton. No doubt also about the team favored by the general, a northern New Jersey native. Added Hutton: "New York Giants, man!"

Odierno's memo didn't say what kind of beer the military will bring in; virtually all goods made available to U.S. troops are imported. Iraq is largely dry, but beer is available on the local market.

The soberly written memo didn't leave much wiggle room on a paramount issue for beer lovers: quantity. "Consumption of alcoholic beverages pursuant to this waiver is limited to two 12-ounce beers per individual," it said.

The ban on drinking alcohol in combat zones is covered by General Order No. 1, which also prohibits service members from proselytizing and having sex with Iraqis, among other proscribed activities.

Several service members said Thursday that the only other time the ban was lifted was in 2005, for troops operating under the Baghdad command.

The military in recent months has begun closing some small outposts and moving a larger percentage of its troops to large bases that have more and better amenities. Most military bases have recreation centers with large-screen TV sets and televise American shows. The Super Bowl always draws huge crowds, despite the inconvenient hour.

The only other reprieve from soberness U.S. troops in Iraq can get is a four-day excursion to the Persian Gulf state of Qatar, and not all are entitled to such trips. Service members there can have three drinks per night under close supervision.

Troops in combat zones caught drinking can face reduction in rank and pay and, in extreme cases, a court-martial.

Odierno asked commanders to "exercise discretion and good judgment in enforcing these guidelines and restrictions."

First Lt. James McGuire, 29, of Queens, who has been stationed in Mosul, in northern Iraq, for more than 11 months, said he has watched nearly every Super Bowl with his dad, throwing back beers.

"I'm Irish, sir," he said in a phone interview. "It'll be nice to have a beer and -- even if it's just for three hours -- feel like I'm back home."

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »
says a chargers fan

i will meltdown if the chargers beat the mighty steelers, they don't even belong in the playoffs

E
For that reason.....GO CHARGERS!!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:30:22 AM »
Sundays are always a good day to watch the steelers get eliminated

hahahahahaha...youre jokin right

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:27:03 AM »
i'm having bad feelings

i worry about ben's head, kick and punt return team fumbling, and our punter giving up field positioning :-\

E
E

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:27:52 AM »
i'm having bad feelings

i worry about ben's head, kick and punt return team fumbling, and our punter giving up field positioning :-\

E

DEFENSE WINNS GAMES

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
DEFENSE WINNS GAMES

there was a good column in the pittsburgh pos gazette that said since heinz field opened, there have been 7 touchdowns against the steelers with the defense being on the sidelines

plus some big punt and kick returns that put the opposing team in field goal range :-\

E
E

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »
there was a good column in the pittsburgh pos gazette that said since heinz field opened, there have been 7 touchdowns against the steelers with the defense being on the sidelines

plus some big punt and kick returns that put the opposing team in field goal range :-\

E

But i think the big problem is going to be establishing the run game. And i think we will win the the turnover battle. with fumbles. and is it me or is our secondary (corners) playing better than they have been in a few years.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »
Ben's had several concussions now, once they start piling up they can end a career. He doesn't want to wear a different helmet that might afford more protection, don't know why. His condition and any possibly reinjury coupled with the Chargers' up and down performances adds alot of volatility to this game.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 03:28:11 PM »
says a chargers fan

they don't even belong in the playoffs

E

we watched a 10-6 team run the table last year....

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
we watched a 10-6 team run the table last year....

chargers are 8 -8

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 05:46:09 PM »
Chargers are far more dangerous than their record indicates, because the Chargers chose a mediocre coach who doesn't get the best from his teams.

Expect classic cold and wintry conditions in both Pittsburgh and NY. The storms should have passed by the morning of gametime i think.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 06:07:48 PM »
other than the colts, their last 4 wins came against really bad teams

E
E

body88

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »
other than the colts, their last 4 wins came against really bad teams

E

It means nothing....the pats were ten times better than the Giants all season, and they lost.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »
chargers are 8 -8

E

no earl...

the chargers WERE 8-8.....but they're 1-0 NOW !

;D

body88

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »
no earl...

the chargers WERE 8-8.....but they're 1-0 NOW !

;D

Really they are 5-0 over the last 5 games.  They have a lot of talent on that team, and no one has an answer for Sproles right now....I can see the Steelers getting offed.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 11:18:43 PM »
It means nothing....the pats were ten times better than the Giants all season, and they lost.

my point is 8 - 8  teams don't belong in the playoffs

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 11:22:53 PM »

Really they are 5-0 over the last 5 games.  They have a lot of talent on that team, and no one has an answer for Sproles right now....I can see the Steelers getting offed.

5 - 0 doesn't mean much when some of the teams were the chiefs, raiders, broncos, and bucs

steelers are 4 - 1 beating much better teams

if the steelers lose the game, it will not be because darren sproles ran the ball well

E
E

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 06:20:47 PM »

E

oh I agree especially with an 11-5 team sitting home and watching,but considering the type of season we've had, (losing on the last play to carolina, and the debacle in denver) we'll take whatever we can get as far as gettin into the big dance !

p.s I can't believe I'm watching AZ crush Carolina

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 06:26:07 PM »

E

And an 11-5 team deserves to be in the playoffs, Earl. That's just the way it goes in this league.

Deal with it.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
And an 11-5 team deserves to be in the playoffs, Earl. That's just the way it goes in this league.

Deal with it.

something needs to change

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 06:05:29 AM »
something needs to change

E

Like what? What would you propose?

The field would have to change to a 14 team playoff format. Four division winners and three wildcards per conference. Explain to me how that would work, as far as playoff rounds.

The current format dictates that you need to win your division outright to ensure a playoff spot, regardless of season record. When you don't have control of your own playoff destiny, then the chips have to fall where they may when it comes to wildcard seedings versus teams' wins and losses. (hence the word, 'wild'.)

Simply put, win your division to control your future. Get it?