Author Topic: Which type of cardio?  (Read 4893 times)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Re: Which type of cardio?
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 11:15:03 AM »
jajajaja that slow walking does have some benefits, but is it worth the time? if you got lots of time sure, but when working 40+ hours a week...

4min HIIT vs 40min walk

easy choice, less time & more benefits 8)
tank u jesus

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »
Man ya'll need to mess with that jumprope, I'm telling ya! 8)

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 05:34:22 PM »
Man ya'll need to mess with that jumprope, I'm telling ya! 8)

That requires too much effort.

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »
That requires too much effort.
Haha that is true

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 06:14:43 AM »
Low intensity cardio is the best way to burn bodyfat but retain the muscle. For guys between the ages of 20-40, keeping the heart rate at between 110-130 beats per minute for periods of half an hour at a time three or four times a week is more than beneficial.

Arnold Palmer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • LET ME OUT OF TIME OUT NEED ADVICE GETTING GYNO!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »
Low intensity cardio is the best way to burn bodyfat but retain the muscle. For guys between the ages of 20-40, keeping the heart rate at between 110-130 beats per minute for periods of half an hour at a time three or four times a week is more than beneficial.

See thats exactally where I get confused. When so many people say something along the lines of the above quote. I thought HIIT, Tabata, and other high intensity interval training was best for sparing muscle tissue??? I just want to know whats more effective and I will go balls out no matter which method. But I really don't want to have to try both if I don't have to I want to be cut down as soon as possible. High Intensity short duration / interval OR low intensity longer duration??? WTF no clear cut answers ANYWHERE just the same two approaches claiming to be superior at the same fucking things lol.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 10:18:10 PM »
See thats exactally where I get confused. When so many people say something along the lines of the above quote. I thought HIIT, Tabata, and other high intensity interval training was best for sparing muscle tissue??? I just want to know whats more effective and I will go balls out no matter which method. But I really don't want to have to try both if I don't have to I want to be cut down as soon as possible. High Intensity short duration / interval OR low intensity longer duration??? WTF no clear cut answers ANYWHERE just the same two approaches claiming to be superior at the same fucking things lol.
slow cardio is most definitely better at sparing muscle.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 08:00:36 AM »

The idea behind the Tabata method is to raise metabolism throughout the day.
So while you may burn 200cals during your cardio session, walking on the treadmill, versus 150cals while sprinting in half the amount of time; you will supposedly burn an extra X amount of calories MORE throughout the day using a higher intensity method similar to the Tabata method.
Kind of a numbers game. Bottom line, do what works for you (and somewhat just as importantly) your schedule. I used to break up my aerobics into separate sessions throughout the day. But now, I'm up at 2:30am, in bed @7pm. I have no time to do that anymore. I have to lump it all in together...and in the end this has worked the best for me. But it's not my preference.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:20 AM »

I've written this before in other posts-they all work, the differences aren't huge. There is no established significant difference. Go with what appeals more, or mix it up with different approaches in different workouts. Low intensity is to me boring, a huge time-waster and training for puzzies. ;D

Arnold Palmer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »
I've written this before in other posts-they all work, the differences aren't huge. There is no established significant difference. Go with what appeals more, or mix it up with different approaches in different workouts. Low intensity is to me boring, a huge time-waster and training for puzzies. Grin

Ok, I am starting to think the same. I actually found studies that show both to be more effective. So I am going to take a all encompassing approach and combine both types of cardio.  I know that doing low intensity long duration cardio can get very boring for me so I will try to get it in once or twice a week. But the HIIT type or tabata high intensity short duration is actually fun for me and I can do it 3-4 days a week no problem. I think I will start the HIIT type today after my lifting session. And start the long distance low intensity type of stuff in a month when I go into major cut mode.

Next I will be trying to plan out actually Lifting that might help my cutting. I know high rep seems to do better but I don't know if its worth losing the test and gh secreting effects of doing high weights.

Thanks for the help everyone  ;D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
hahaha walking? elipitcal? are you fuckin kidding me is this the injury and rehab section of the training board? no man if you want a CARDIOVASCULAR WORKOUT then you do some stairmaster, jogging(rough on the joints though but damn gets you winded), racketball(just started this recently, so much fun, any active sport will do), or jump rope (pure awesomeness). those are just a few options but WALKING AND ELIPTICAL???? what the fuck? same rules apply to cardio as to lifting weights in order to get maximum benefits-- be intense!!!

Arnold Palmer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 10:46:38 PM »
I will def have to try some jump roping and also might get a punching bag. Boxers seem to all be pretty ripped so it might be something worth looking into. I think punching the shit out something and not having to go to jail for it this time would also be pretty damn fun.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »
I will def have to try some jump roping and also might get a punching bag. Boxers seem to all be pretty ripped so it might be something worth looking into. I think punching the shit out something and not having to go to jail for it this time would also be pretty damn fun.

punching bag is  awesome i used to have one in my basement it was held down with weights but it made too much noise when hitting it and a pain carrying weights back and forth when i used to work out at home. incredible workout though, fucking incredible.

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »
punching bag is  awesome i used to have one in my basement it was held down with weights but it made too much noise when hitting it and a pain carrying weights back and forth when i used to work out at home. incredible workout though, fucking incredible.
Had a punching bag myself till I punched it wrong and my wrist were screaming for a week. Gladly it didn't last longer than that. It's a workout no doubt. Most guys don't realise they only have bout a minute of pure fight in them and they are done. If ya wanna be good at cardio, I agree, do something physical.