Author Topic: The original Gold's Gym OFFICIALLY gone???  (Read 13112 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: The original Gold's Gym OFFICIALLY gone???
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:42 AM »
The gym is still there as I said. It is owned by a non bodybuilding related older couple. Ken Sparague has nothing to do with the place and hasnt since 1976 when he owned it. Kent Keuhn is practically broke and living like a bum and barely has money to pay rent. All he does is work backstage at local California shows. And do not give your money to any asshole on this or any sight that claims to be taking donations for the gym. It is total bullshit and a scam. This is the final word!

Uhhh... Beef, everyone knew I was joking.  I was poking fun a Iron Age's "rebuilding Gold's" thing they did awhile ago asking for donations.

Sounds like you have a lot of info about the gym scene out there.  All you need now is some good humor.  No one likes a stern bodybuilder.  ;)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: The original Gold's Gym OFFICIALLY gone???
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »
However, it is gradually losing its hardcore feel.

As are most gyms. People now, are training for health, and think that if they get too big (as if it's the easiest thing in the world- throw on 455 on the squat bar for 15 after 2-3 workouts) they will be dead of a heart attack in days.
The days of training "hardcore" and seeing guys like back in the 80's, are long over.
Gyms of today cater to housewives and soccer moms. Where the money is at. Those people cower and are intimidated by hardcore guys lifting a few feet away.

The current Gold's must be must larger (3 separate rooms and an outdoor area) than the first two

The first two gyms were pretty much just two hole in the wall places in comparison to the current Golds. I know the original was one building, and one room in the new Golds is probably larger than the whole building of the original.