Author Topic: The original Gold's Gym OFFICIALLY gone???  (Read 13136 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: The original Gold's Gym OFFICIALLY gone???
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 07:08:28 AM »
:'(

Bodybuilding is a state of mind Pollux!  Buildings will crumble, but the spirit endures!

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 08:00:07 AM »
So out of curiosity I used Google's MAPS and typed in Gold's Gym address (1006 Pacific Ave. Venice, Ca.) where Arnold Schwarzenegger use to train, and when checking out Goggle's "street view" it shows the building covered with a tarpaulin as if it has FINALLY seen it's last days.

No longer can you drive by or visit this historical building.  :'(
Hello Pollux. I can assure you that the original Golds gym on Pacific ave is still there. The sign on the top front of the building is still visable. It still looks just like the pictures posted below. The inside of the building is actually a post modern home. The entrance is in the back alley. The owners are a husband and wife that really love the Golds logo and they know that it is legendary, so dont worry.
      How do I know this. Because I live 3 blocks from the place and I drive past it every day. And the owners were interviewed in a local Venice magazine last year about their new home. Fuck all of these morons who are posting bullshit info on your question. They dont know shit.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »
Hello Pollux. I can assure you that the original Golds gym on Pacific ave is still there. The sign on the top front of the building is still visable. It still looks just like the pictures posted below. The inside of the building is actually a post modern home. The entrance is in the back alley. The owners are a husband and wife that really love the Golds logo and they know that it is legendary, so dont worry.
      How do I know this. Because I live 3 blocks from the place and I drive past it every day. And the owners were interviewed in a local Venice magazine last year about their new home. Fuck all of these morons who are posting bullshit info on your question. They dont know shit.

Thanks! I knew about a couple owning the building and preserving the Gold's Gym lettering, but how do you know it's a "home" now?  ???

I mean, even the front of the building is covered with concrete and no windows.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 08:33:54 AM »
WE ARE RENOVATING GOLD'S GYM TO REINSTATE THE MAJESTY OF YESTERYEAR.  ALL DONATIONS OVER $100 WILL HAVE THEIR NAME INSCRIBED ON A PLAQUE. 

DONATIONS OVER $1000 GET THEIR OWN PLAQUE.

DONATIONS OVER $5000 WILL BE INVITED TO THE OPENING TO MEET ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER AND THEIR PHOTO WILL REMAIN ON THE WALL!

PM ME FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO CONTRIBUTE.

Don't bullshit me. Is this what's REALLY going on?  ???

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »
Thanks! I knew about a couple owning the building and preserving the Gold's Gym lettering, but how do you know it's a "home" now?  ???

They have sky lights on the roof. You can see it on Google Earth or other satelite map programs. There are windows in the back over the parking area. Like was mentioned the owners spoke of their home in the magazine article.

I've driven by it in 2009.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »

I remember someone on IronAge, stating that he bought Golds and wanted to turn it into a house- this was a year or two ago. I think his names was "GoldsGymGuy" or similar. Don't quote me on that.
Could be my memory, but I seem to remember the guys real ID as being Ken Kuehn...spelling may be off, but the desk guy from one of the Golds Gyms.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 09:07:45 AM »
I remember someone on IronAge, stating that he bought Golds and wanted to turn it into a house- this was a year or two ago. I think his names was "GoldsGymGuy" or similar. Don't quote me on that.
Could be my memory, but I seem to remember the guys real ID as being Ken Kuehn...spelling may be off, but the desk guy from one of the Golds Gyms.

Former Gold's owner Ken Sprague is 'Oldgoldsguy'. I don't know if he ever wanted to re-buy it.  It's a non-bodybuilding related couple that owns it.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 09:09:22 AM »
Former Gold's owner Ken Sprague is 'Oldgoldsguy'. I don't know if he ever wanted to re-buy it.  It's a non-bodybuilding related couple that owns it.

That's it. I'm getting old, gotta start drinking prune juice I guess. :(
Waws it Sprague that started the conversion to the house though>?

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »
That's it. I'm getting old, gotta start drinking prune juice I guess. :(
Waws it Sprague that started the conversion to the house though>?

Yes, he mentioned that his family lived there in the late 70s. I think he said his son's room was where the squat rack (Corney/Arnold PI squat workout scene) was.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »

I used to check IA daily.....then got bored with it for a few reasons. Last time I checked in, that was the stuff going on- Sprague talking about how he was converting the gym and whatnot.
Good stories.

gymguy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »
Just goes to show how bad this board has become.  One would think that there would have to be some members who actually live in or near the mecca who would be able to confirm whether or not the Gold's is still there.  I live in Miami, but travel to LA 5 or 6 times a year. Next time I am there, I will investigate for myself.  The jokers on this site have no idea.  After all, most of them aren't even old enough to drive.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
Just goes to show how bad this board has become.  One would think that there would have to be some members who actually live in or near the mecca who would be able to confirm whether or not the Gold's is still there.  I live in Miami, but travel to LA 5 or 6 times a year. Next time I am there, I will investigate for myself.  The jokers on this site have no idea.  After all, most of them aren't even old enough to drive.

Read through all the posts. I drove by there 5 days ago. It is still there.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »
Read through all the posts. I drove by there 5 days ago. It is still there.

As did BeefyHeavyWeight, ro 5 other posters.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 01:29:30 PM »

Of course.  And Arnold has reported that he will be, repeat: WILL BE, back on the dbol for the grand re-opening.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »
The gym is still there as I said. It is owned by a non bodybuilding related older couple. Ken Sparague has nothing to do with the place and hasnt since 1976 when he owned it. Kent Keuhn is practically broke and living like a bum and barely has money to pay rent. All he does is work backstage at local California shows. And do not give your money to any asshole on this or any sight that claims to be taking donations for the gym. It is total bullshit and a scam. This is the final word!

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »
How long has Gold's been at the Hampton location? Since 1980 or so?

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
How long has Gold's been at the Hampton location? Since 1980 or so?
It has been on Hampton since 80 or 81.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »
The original Gold's opened in the fall of 1965.  Joe sold it in 1970 to Bud Danitz and Dave Sachs.  The new owners moved to a new location in  Santa Monica in 1975.  Gold's moved to its current location in 1981.  The second location was torn down to make way for the Santa Monica Place shopping mall.

Here is a MS Live map.  Click on the bird's eye view and zoom in.  Note the orange icon is really pointing to the building next door.  The original Gold's is in a residential area.  It is very small and there is no parking anywhere nearby.  It can't really be used for anything other than a residence.  It has been someone's home for at least 10, maybe 20 years.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 04:50:53 PM »
The original Gold's opened in the fall of 1965.  Joe sold it in 1970 to Bud Danitz and Dave Sachs.  The new owners moved to a new location in  Santa Monica in 1975.  Gold's moved to its current location in 1981.  The second location was torn down to make way for the Santa Monica Place shopping mall.

the original Gold's is in a residential area.  It is very small and there is no parking anywhere nearby.  It can't really be used for anything other than a residence.
The second location of Golds gym in Santa Monica was on 2nd street. It is still there. It was not torn down. The mall was 1 block south from it. The gym is now a design firm. But the original wooden beam ceiling and brick front still exist and can be viewed. I frequent an italian restaurant a few stores down from the 2nd Golds. So I can attest to it still being there.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »
The second location of Golds gym in Santa Monica was on 2nd street. It is still there. It was not torn down. The mall was 1 block south from it. The gym is now a design firm. But the original wooden beam ceiling and brick front still exist and can be viewed. I frequent an italian restaurant a few stores down from the 2nd Golds. So I can attest to it still being there.

davedraper.com lists the address as 1452 2nd St,  MS Live shows a parking structure there.   was it the first floor of one of those old  4-5 story office buildinds?

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
davedraper.com lists the address as 1452 2nd St,  MS Live shows a parking structure there.   I don't see any old buildings on that block.

The parking structure is directly across the street from the former gym. I park in it everytime I am going to the restaurant. Mike Mentzer used to run the stairs of the parking structure for his cardio when he trained for the 79 and 80 Olympia. But the Golds location is still there. I can assure you of that because I drove by it this morning.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »
The parking structure is directly across the street from the former gym.

further south I see a building with 1442 on top.  is it the little one story just to the north?

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2009, 05:52:36 PM »
The gym is still there as I said. It is owned by a non bodybuilding related older couple. Ken Sparague has nothing to do with the place and hasnt since 1976 when he owned it. Kent Keuhn is practically broke and living like a bum and barely has money to pay rent. All he does is work backstage at local California shows. And do not give your money to any asshole on this or any sight that claims to be taking donations for the gym. It is total bullshit and a scam. This is the final word!

Trust me, I was NEVER gonna give any donation to any organization or anyone. Just was wondering if that was true or not.

You, BEEFY, I tend to believe more. Thanks for the info!  8)

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
Kent Keuhn is practically broke and living like a bum and barely has money to pay rent.

Really, or is that just speculation? I did see him on one of Jay's DVDs where in fact he was working backstage at the Jr. California, I believe.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 11:07:53 PM »

Here is a MS Live map.  Click on the bird's eye view and zoom in.  Note the orange icon is really pointing to the building next door.  The original Gold's is in a residential area.  It is very small and there is no parking anywhere nearby.  It can't really be used for anything other than a residence.  It has been someone's home for at least 10, maybe 20 years.

I've been training at the current Gold's since 2003. It is a very good gym with a tremendous variety of equipment. However, it is gradually losing its hardcore feel. The current Gold's must be must larger (3 separate rooms and an outdoor area) than the first two