Author Topic: States Look to Prisons for Ways to Save Money, Including Letting Some Inmates Go  (Read 967 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
This is crazy.

States Look to Prisons for Ways to Save Money, Including Letting Some Inmates Go
Saturday, January 10, 2009

AP

FILE: Inmates sit in crowded conditions at the California Institute for Men in Chino, Calif.
NEW YORK —  Their budgets in crisis, governors, legislators and prison officials across the nation are making or considering policy changes that will likely remove tens of thousands of offenders from prisons and parole supervision.

Collectively, the pending and proposed initiatives could add up to one of biggest shifts ever in corrections policy, putting into place cost-saving reforms that have struggled to win political support in the tough-on-crime climate of recent decades.

"Prior to this fiscal crisis, legislators could tinker around the edges — but we're now well past the tinkering stage," said Marc Mauer, executive director of the Sentencing Project, which advocates alternatives to incarceration.

"Many political leaders who weren't comfortable enough, politically, to do it before can now — under the guise of fiscal responsibility — implement programs and policies that would be win/win situations, saving money and improving corrections," Mauer said

In California, faced with a projected $42 billion deficit and prison overcrowding that has triggered a federal lawsuit, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to eliminate parole for all offenders not convicted of violent or sex-related crimes, reducing the parole population by about 70,000. He also wants to divert more petty criminals to county jails and grant early release to more inmates — steps that could trim the prison population by 15,000 over the next 18 months.

In Kentucky, where the inmate population had been soaring, even some murderers and other violent offenders are benefiting from a temporary cost-saving program that has granted early release to nearly 2,000 inmates.

Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine is proposing early release of about 1,000 inmates. New York Gov. David Paterson wants early release for 1,600 inmates as well as an overhaul of the so-called Rockefeller Drug Laws that impose lengthy mandatory sentences on many nonviolent drug offenders.

"These laws have neither curbed drug use nor enhanced public safety," said Donna Lieberman of the New York Civil Liberties Union. "Instead, they have ruined thousands of lives and annually wasted millions of tax dollars in prison costs."

Policy-makers in Michigan, one of four states that spend more money on prisons than higher education, are awaiting a report later this month from the Council of State Governments' Justice Center on ways to trim fast-rising corrections costs, likely including sentencing and parole modifications.

"There's a new openness to taking a look," said state Sen. Alan Cropsey, a Republican who in the past has questioned some prison-reform proposals. "What we'll see are changes being made that will have a positive impact four, five, six years down the road."

Even before the recent financial meltdown, policy-makers in most states were wrestling with ways to contain corrections costs. The Pew Center's Public Safety Performance Project has projected that state and federal prison populations — under current policies — will grow by more than 190,000 by 2011, to about 1.7 million, at a cost to the states of $27.5 billion.

"Prisons are becoming less and less of a sacred cow," said Adam Gelb, the Pew project's director. "The budget crisis is giving leaders on both sides of the aisle political cover they need to tackle issues that would be too tough to tackle when budgets are flush."

In contrast to past economic downturns, Gelb said, states now have better data on how to effectively supervise nonviolent offenders in their communities so prison populations can be reduced without increasing the threat to public safety.

Safety remains a potent factor. In California, for example, the state correctional officers' union contends Schwarzenegger's proposals will fuel more crime.

In Idaho, a combination of budget cuts and prison overcrowding contributed to an uprising Jan. 2 in a former prison workshop that was converted into a temporary cell block. Inmates who engaged in vandalism and arson had been placed there as part of a cost-cutting effort to move other prisoners back to Idaho from more expensive quarters at a private prison in Oklahoma.

Thomas Sneddon, a former Santa Barbara, Calif., prosecutor who is now executive director of the National District Attorneys Association, said he and his colleagues support reappraisals of corrections policies yet worry constantly that dangerous criminals will be released unwisely.

"I don't think the public at large has any idea of who's in these prisons," Sneddon said. "If they went and visited, they'd say 'My God, don't let any of these people out."'

He noted that many states are seeking to send fewer offenders back to prison for technical violations of parole conditions. Some of these violations are indeed relatively minor, Sneddon said, but often they are accompanied by more serious criminal behavior that warrants a return to prison.

As budgetary pressures worsen, some advocacy groups are concerned that spending cuts will target the very programs needed to help inmates avoid re-offending after release — education, vocational and drug-treatment programs.

"The idea that we'd cut programs and then release inmates early is a toxic combination," said Pat Nolan, vice president of Prison Fellowship. "Just opening prison doors and letting people out with no preparation — that's cruel to the offender and dangerous to public."

However, Nolan, a former California legislator who served time in a federal prison on a racketeering charge, sees the current climate as ripe for the kind of reforms Prison Fellowship has advocated with its Christian-based outreach programs.

"It's forcing the legislators to see the actual costs of imprisonment, because it's coming out of the budget for schools, roads, hospitals," he said.

The Council of State Government's Justice Center has been working with 10 states to develop options for curbing prison populations without jeopardizing public safety. Tactics used in Texas and Kansas have included early release for inmates who complete specified programs, more sophisticated community supervision of offenders, and expanded treatment and diversion programs.

"There's an unprecedented level of interest in this kind of thinking," said the Justice Center's director, Michael Thompson. "It's a combination of fiscal pressure and a certain fatigue of doing the same thing as 20 years ago and getting the same return."

In Florida, where prisons are so crowded that the state has acquired tents for possible use to house inmates, officials say 19 new prisons may be needed over the next five years. As an alternative, Corrections Secretary Walter McNeil told lawmakers they should re-evaluate the state's hard-line sentencing policies and look at ways to help released inmates avoid returning to prison.

One important variable is the role of private prisons, which some advocacy groups consider less accountable that state-run prisons. Elizabeth Alexander of the American Civil Liberties Union's National Prison Project expressed concern that fiscally struggling states would rely increasingly on private operators.

The largest private prison firm, Nashville, Tenn.-based Corrections Corporation of America, operates in 20 states and says some of them have asked if CCA can expand its capacity so more beds don't need to be added to the state-run system.

"Of the states we do business with, none have made prison construction a priority in this economic environment," said Tony Grande, CCA's executive vice president. "Our partnership with the states will become even stronger. ...We want to be a part of their financial solution."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479102,00.html

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Let everyone charged with Marijuana "crimes" out.  Problem solved, case closed.
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Not sure why you put the word crimes in quotation marks.  If people break the law they deserve whatever punishment the law calls for. 

In any event, I doubt those convicted of marijuana-related crimes make up a significant enough portion of the prison population to make a difference.  The more important issue is how the economy is causing states to contemplate irrational options.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
speaking of marijuana - a friend of mine was looking to apply to the FBI and I was checking out their website and thought it was interesting that they delineate marijuana usage from other types of drugs:

http://www.fbijobs.gov/52.asp

Criteria

Under the FBI's current Employment Drug Policy, an applicant will be found unsuitable for employment if they:

Have used any illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991), other than marijuana, within the past ten years, or engaged in more than minimal experimentation in their lifetime. In making the determination about an applicant’s suitability for FBI employment, all relevant facts, including the frequency of use, will be evaluated.
Have used marijuana/cannabis within the past three years, or have extensively used marijuana/cannabis or over a substantial period of time. In making the determination about an applicant’s suitability for FBI employment, all relevant facts, including the recency and frequency of use, will be evaluated.
You can easily determine whether you meet the FBI's illegal drug policy by answering the following questions:

Have you used marijuana at all within the last three years?
Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
Have you ever sold any illegal drug for profit?
Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?

If you answered Yes to any of these questions, you are not eligible for employment with the FBI.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Could be because of medical marijuana.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Could be because of medical marijuana.

for some reason I doubt it.

it's not even legal as medicine in most states

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
If it's legal in any state then they should distinguish between marijuana and things like cocaine, at least until they determine whether the applicant uses it for medical purposes with a medical certificate. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
If it's legal in any state then they should distinguish between marijuana and things like cocaine, at least until they determine whether the applicant uses it for medical purposes with a medical certificate. 

The Feds don't even recognize the states authority to make legal for medical use

heck, steroids are legal for legitimate medical purposes yet the FBI lumps them in with all other drugs.

The only one they segregate is marijuana and it's probably becaue they know they infrequent use is very common and totally benign. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The Feds don't even recognize the states authority to make legal for medical use

heck, steroids are legal for legitimate medical purposes yet the FBI lumps them in with all other drugs.

The only one they segregate is marijuana and it's probably becaue they know they infrequent use is very common and totally benign. 

What do you mean the feds don't recognize it?  Some states allow medical marijuana use. 

I'm sure the FBI distinguishes between prescription drugs that contain steroids and the "illegal" nonprescription use at 100 times the recommended dose.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
What do you mean the feds don't recognize it?  Some states allow medical marijuana use. 

I'm sure the FBI distinguishes between prescription drugs that contain steroids and the "illegal" nonprescription use at 100 times the recommended dose.   

you're aware that the Feds have busted medical marijuana facilities on the premise that the Federal law supercedes  any state laws.   Interesting development:  http://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=5614

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
Not sure why you put the word crimes in quotation marks.  If people break the law they deserve whatever punishment the law calls for.

...that's terribly unthinking. That's the black-n-white obedience of a simpleton... no offense intended.

In any event, I doubt those convicted of marijuana-related crimes make up a significant enough portion of the prison population to make a difference.  The more important issue is how the economy is causing states to contemplate irrational options.   

...not true.
If memory serves I believe the MAJORITY of those incarcerated in the US are serving sentences for non-violent drug crimes.

The Luke

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
...that's terribly unthinking. That's the black-n-white obedience of a simpleton... no offense intended.

...not true.
If memory serves I believe the MAJORITY of those incarcerated in the US are serving sentences for non-violent drug crimes.

The Luke

I'm not sure where you live, but in this country, the way our system works is we put laws on the books and when people violate the law they suffer the consequences the law calls for.   

Regarding my comments about drugs, if you're going to try and insult someone, at least get your facts straight.  Go back and read what I said and see if you can figure out your error. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Let everyone charged with Marijuana "crimes" out.  Problem solved, case closed.

Non-violent criminals should be given alternatives to incarceration. 

Jails cost the taxpayer way too much $$$$$ to house non-violent people. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Isolated marijuana offenses should never go to prison.  Same with steroids.  They can be punished but should never include jailtime.  We have overcrowded prisons and the user places their own health in some risk but not necessarily the lifes of others (unless another crime has been committed).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

you're aware that the Feds have busted medical marijuana facilities on the premise that the Federal law supercedes  any state laws.   Interesting development:  http://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=5614

Did you read the link? 

For Immediate Release: December 1st, 2008

U.S. Supreme Court: State Medical Marijuana Laws Not Preempted by Federal Law

Medical marijuana case appealed by the City of Garden Grove was denied review today

Washington, DC -- The U.S. Supreme Court refused to review a landmark decision today in which California state courts found that its medical marijuana law was not preempted by federal law. The state appellate court decision from November 28, 2007, ruled that "it is not the job of the local police to enforce the federal drug laws." The case, involving Felix Kha, a medical marijuana patient from Garden Grove, was the result of a wrongful seizure of medical marijuana by local police in June 2005. Medical marijuana advocates hailed today's decision as a huge victory in clarifying law enforcement's obligation to uphold state law. Advocates assert that better adherence to state medical marijuana laws by local police will result in fewer needless arrests and seizures. In turn, this will allow for better implementation of medical marijuana laws not only in California, but in all states that have adopted such laws.

"It's now settled that state law enforcement officers cannot arrest medical marijuana patients or seize their medicine simply because they prefer the contrary federal law," said Joe Elford, Chief Counsel with Americans for Safe Access (ASA), the medical marijuana advocacy organization that represented the defendant Felix Kha in a case that the City of Garden Grove appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court. "Perhaps, in the future local government will think twice about expending significant time and resources to defy a law that is overwhelmingly supported by the people of our state."

California medical marijuana patient Felix Kha was pulled over by the Garden Grove Police Department and cited for possession of marijuana, despite Kha showing the officers proper documentation. The charge against Kha was subsequently dismissed, with the Superior Court of Orange County issuing an order to return Kha's wrongfully seized 8 grams of medical marijuana. The police, backed by the City of Garden Grove, refused to return Kha's medicine and the city appealed. Before the 41-page decision was issued a year ago by California's Fourth District Court of Appeal, the California Attorney General filed a "friend of the court" brief on behalf of Kha's right to possess his medicine. The California Supreme Court then denied review in March.

"The source of local law enforcement's resistance to upholding state law is an outdated, harmful federal policy with regard to medical marijuana," said ASA spokesperson Kris Hermes. "This should send a message to the federal government that it's time to establish a compassionate policy more consistent with the 13 states that have adopted medical marijuana laws."

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Did you read the link? 

Of course I read the link.

That why I used "have busted" and then wrote INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT next to my link

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Of course I read the link dipshit.

That why I used "have busted" and then wrote INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT next to my link

I know you have trouble following discussions, and maybe that's related to you being a pothead, but the link you provided contradicts your earlier statement:

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Bum - are you aware of how "time" works?

That post preceded the one where I posted INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT and the link