Author Topic: Sex Offender Wins...  (Read 349 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Sex Offender Wins...
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:24:36 AM »
Sex Offender Wins Lottery Benefiting Charity That Fights Rape And Sexual Crimes
Monday January 12, 2009
CityNews.ca Staff

This is one of those weird 'you wouldn't believe it if it hadn't really happened' kind of stories. But it did, in the city of Anchorage, Alaska.

The lottery rules in that state specify that profits from games of chance have to be used to help charitable organizations. And so it was that the money raised from a "Lucky Times" draw on Friday night was going to a group called Standing Together Against Rape, an entity designed to fight sexual abuse and help victims of attacks against the innocent.

Some 150,000 people bought a $5 ticket, but only one of them won the big prize. A 53-year-old named Alec Ahsoak emerged on Saturday, coming into the lottery office to collect his prize of $350,000 after taxes.

But while everyone was all smiles at the ceremony, a revelation that came afterwards left many in shock. It turns out the winner of the top jackpot is a registered sex offender. Records show Ahsoak was convicted of assaulting a minor in 1993 and that he repeated the act with another victim in 2000.

But despite his record and the irony of who benefits, the winner will get to keep his money because the final choice was based purely on random luck.

The convicted child molester claims he's changed his ways and has undergone therapy since he committed his crimes. He plans to donate $100,000 of his cheque to the charity and use some of the rest to build a new house.

The organization remains non-plussed by the outcome, noting the origin of the donation isn't as important as what it will eventually be used for - fighting the scourge of sexual abuse for people of all ages.

Registered Sex Offender Wins $57 Million Lottery Jackpot

Fred Topous Jr. is a very, very rich man. And that's not necessarily going to make a lot of people - possibly including those behind a big lottery in the U.S. - happy.

The 45-year-old won $57 million in the Mega Millions draw last week, opting to take a $34 million lump sum immediate payment. Normally, a big winner is greeted with a big fanfare and the lottery entity that runs the game in Topous's home state of Michigan made the usual to-do about his victory.

But since then, they - and the public - have learned a lot more about him.

It turns out Topous is a registered sex offender who was released from jail under supervision in 2006. The new multi-millionaire pleaded guilty to assault with intent to commit sexual penetration in 1999. He'd previously admitted to breaking and entering in both 1984 and 1988.

Topous wasn't even aware of the win until hearing the winning ticket was sold at the same place he'd bought his. He stopped by the store, asked the clerk to check the numbers and was floored when it was confirmed he won the major prize.

He's aware of his past but thinks the money will help him make amends, allowing him to buy a house and put his kids through college. "We thought we were going to end up working until we died, but not any more," he smiles. "I want to enjoy a little bit of life. We're plain folks. We've struggled all our lives. Now I don't have to wait until Friday to get groceries or put gas in the truck."

Despite his now notorious past, lottery officials confirm anyone can play their game as long as they're over the age of 18.

Topous has tried to turn his life around since his release from prison and is anxious for the chance to redeem himself now that he's hit the jackpot.

"He's had some tough breaks," friend and co-worker Jan Westcott told The Grand Rapids Press. "I know some of his secrets, and he knows some of mine. I'm not going any further."

===================================

I think I liked it better when it was illegal aliens and old farts about to kick the bucket who always won.  :-\

w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Sex Offender Wins...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:37:28 AM »
what kinda shitty governor would allow shit like that to go on in her state? ???

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Sex Offender Wins...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »
what kinda shitty governor would allow shit like that to go on in her state? ???

You mean like the forty nine others as well that have criminals in their states?