Author Topic: Openly gay bishop to deliver first inauguration event invocation  (Read 517 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Openly gay bishop to deliver first inauguration event invocation
Posted: 01:00 PM ET

From CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

(CNN) — The first openly gay priest ordained by a major Christian denomination will deliver the invocation at the kickoff inauguration event Sunday at the Lincoln Memorial.

The Rev. Gene Robinson, Episcopal bishop in New Hampshire, has accepted an invitation issued by the Obama team prior to the announcement of the Rev. Rick Warren’s selection to deliver the invocation at the president-elect’s swearing-in, Politico reported Monday.

Robinson had been a critic of Warren’s role, calling his inclusion in the event “really, really unfortunate” because of the California minister's support for California's Prop. 8, which barred same-sex marriage.

“It's about this particular venue and the role that he has in praying for all of America, and I'm just not sure he'd pray to God the same way I would,” Robinson told Beliefnet last month.

“…This particular choice [of Warren] is not about having everyone at the table for a discussion or some sort of general forum. Every choice related to who does what at the inauguration is highly symbolic, and I think the transition team failed to ask the question of what, symbolically, this might say to some of our citizens.”

Robinson said at the time his disappointment would not affect his plans to attend President-elect Obama’s inauguration.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/12/openly-gay-bishop-to-deliver-first-inauguration-event-invocation/#more-35290

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Openly gay bishop to deliver first inauguration event invocation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:14 AM »
now the same repub cockpieces mouthpieces who bitched because Obama has an ANTI- gay speaker will be up in arms because there is a Pro-Gay voice.

Crybabies.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
Obama is smart

I'm looking forward to having someone intelligent in the office again

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )