Author Topic: The New Stimulus Package Debate  (Read 595 times)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
The New Stimulus Package Debate
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:14:52 AM »
Lets weigh in and have a debate without the blind partisanship.  Our country needs help and it doesn't matter to me who is right.

Read an interesting editorial this AM about Obama's stimulus package.  He wants to create/save 3-4million jobs.  There is a difference between saving and creating, but that aside, there are 800,000+ new government jobs proposed.  Not sure if thats necessarily a good thing since I have seen 'government workers' first hand.  Here is an exerpt of the editorial to start the debate:

"...If the president-elect is correct, the remaining 20% will be government jobs, or 800,000 jobs. What if the economy turns around and job losses slow? Under the Obama stimulus plan, those government jobs might still total 800,000 and the rest (of the jobs promised) may come from the “saved” jobs.

And Now, a Word About Government Jobs

Have you been to the post office lately or the DMV? How do you feel about waiting in bumper to bumper traffic for 40 minutes and finally getting to the source? Ever been held up by a road crew with a guy jack hammering and six crew members standing around sipping coffee? Have you ever sat in line waiting for one bank teller to help you wondering while three others over there are just chatting with each other?

What America needs is productivity. We need jobs that come as a result of free enterprise, free markets and capitalism, not free money. I happened to jot down the following quote as Obama spoke about the economy last week at George Mason University. Toward the end of his speech, he said, “We need to put money into the pockets of Americans.” What does Obama mean when he aims to “put money into the pockets”? Shouldn’t we focus on creating opportunity for Americans to earn money, start and grow businesses, build equity in homes, work, earn, live? There are ways better ways to build a solid economic foundation rather than sponsoring an unmotivated, unproductive work force that has little incentive to create and innovate.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: The New Stimulus Package Debate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »
I just got blasted on another thread for posting something like this. 

These liberal dope addicts need to go down to the DMV and ask if they think those are the type of jobs and people that are going to bring us to prosperity.

They need to cut govt spending, lower taxes across the board, end corporate taxation or bring it to 10%, etc.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:25:02 AM »
The jobs he wants to create aren't really jobs. Public works projects are great but don't stimulate the economy for very long if at all. A better fix is a massive tax break for a given industry to stay and build for the long haul. Besides how many of those public works projects will eventually be sucked up or screwed up by union intervention, costing us more then the project was worth.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:29:47 AM »
The jobs he wants to create aren't really jobs. Public works projects are great but don't stimulate the economy for very long if at all. A better fix is a massive tax break for a given industry to stay and build for the long haul. Besides how many of those public works projects will eventually be sucked up or screwed up by union intervention, costing us more then the project was worth.

The Big Dig anybody???????????????

These jobs are temporary as well.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:13 AM »
I'm from Mass, that thing was the best example of cost over runs and BS back room politics in the history of this country. We need to build industry, long term etc. Not something that greedy politicians or union douchebags can dip their hands into.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »
We need complete transparency and accountability.

Other than that, I'm all for investing in our own country - both the infrastructure and the people.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
We need complete transparency and accountability.

Other than that, I'm all for investing in our own country - both the infrastructure and the people.

Japan tried doing the infrastructure thing and it did not work.  Look it up. 

Yes, we need improvements, but not a bridge to nowhere every ten feet like they are talking about. 

The unions and organized crime should be let nowhere near these projects.   

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:42 AM »
Creating government jobs doesn't count. Creating minimum wage jobs doesn't count either.

Government jobs almost always equate to regulation and administration, rarely do they really add anything to the big picture in the economical sense.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
"We need complete transparency and accountability"

Absolutely.  This is something we didn't get with the Bush years.  I think this will be better under Obama.

I disagree with the idea of mainly creating a bunch of government jobs.  The economy is benefited much more if jobs are created in the private sector.  I worry that the bulk of the new jobs Obama will create will be government jobs.  Not all, of course, but many government workers take advantage of their job, they do not work very hard, take more sick days, and cost the taxpayer more with better benefits and more vacation compared to the rest of us.  Same as unionized workers.  We do not need more of either IMO.

We must stimulate the private sector, cut corporate taxation, keep taxes relatively low and make banks lend to qualified businesses and individuals.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:14:27 AM »
Good grief.  He wants to add 800,000 people to the government payroll?  Re-dang-diculous.  I agree with the editorial.  Overall, I do not have a very high opinion of government workers.  We need more private sector jobs, not a more bloated government. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »
Yes, lets create more jobs by making more government positions.

that's like lowering unemployment by putting more people on welfare.