Author Topic: "Why Do Jews and Arabs/Muslims Hate Each Other?"  (Read 3289 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
"Why Do Jews and Arabs/Muslims Hate Each Other?"
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:16:33 AM »
Comments from gotquestions.org

I'm interested if anyone agrees w/the following and in other viewpoints as well....thanks!

Question: "Why do Jews and Arabs / Muslims hate each other?"

Answer: First, it is important to understand that not all Arabs are Muslims and not all Muslims are Arabs. While a majority of Arabs are Muslims, there are many non-Muslim Arabs. Further, there are significantly more non-Arab Muslims (in areas such as Indonesia and Malaysia) than Arab Muslims.

Second, it is important to remember that not all Arabs hate Jews, that not all Muslims hate Jews, and that not all Jews hate Arabs and Muslims. We must be careful to avoid stereotyping people. However, generally speaking, Arabs and Muslims have a dislike and distrust for Jews and vice-versa.

If there is an explicit biblical explanation for this animosity, it goes all the way back to Abraham. The Jews are descendants of Abraham’s son Isaac. The Arabs are descendants of Abraham’s son Ishmael. With Ishmael being the son of a slave woman (Genesis 16:1-16) and Isaac being the promised son who would inherit the promises to Abraham (Genesis 21:1-3), animosity between the two sons was almost inevitable. As a result of Ishmael mocking Isaac (Genesis 21:9), Sarah talked Abraham into sending Hagar and Ishmael away (Genesis 21:11-21). Likely this caused even more contempt in Ishmael’s heart toward Isaac. An angel even prophesied to Hagar that Ishmael would “live in hostility toward all his brothers” (Genesis 16:11-12).

The religion of Islam, of which a majority of Arabs are adherents, has made this hostility more profound. The Qur'an contains conflicting instructions for Muslims regarding Jews. At one point it instructs Muslims to treat Jews as brothers, but at another point it commands Muslims to attack Jews who refuse to convert to Islam. The Qur’an also introduces a conflict as to which son of Abraham was truly the son of promise. The Hebrew Scriptures say it was Isaac. The Qur’an says it was Ishmael. The Qur’an teaches that it was Ishmael that Abraham almost sacrificed to the Lord, not Isaac (in contradiction to Genesis chapter 22). This debate over who was the son of promise contributes to the hostility today.

However, the ancient root of bitterness between Isaac and Ishmael does not explain all of the hostility between Jews and Arabs today. In fact, for thousands of years of Middle Eastern history, Jews and Arabs lived in relative peace and indifference toward each other. The primary cause of the hostility has a modern origin. After World War II, when the United Nations gave a portion of the land of Israel to the Jewish people, the land was at that time primarily inhabited by Arabs (the Palestinians). Most Arabs protested against the nation of Israel occupying that land. Arab nations united and attacked Israel in an attempt to wipe them out of the land, but they were defeated by Israel.

Ever since, there has been great hostility between Israel and its Arab neighbors. If you look on a map, Israel has one tiny little sliver of land and is surrounded by much larger Arab nations, i.e. Jordan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Egypt. It is our viewpoint that, biblically speaking, Israel has a right to exist as a nation with its own land because God gave the land of Israel to the descendants of Jacob, grandson of Abraham. At the same time, we strongly believe that Israel should seek peace and display respect for its Arab neighbors. Psalms 122:6 declares, "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: May those who love you be secure."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Resource: Understanding the Arab-Israeli Conflict: What the Headlines Haven't Told You, Revised and Updated, by Michael Rydelnik.

R

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
Re: "Why Do Jews and Arabs/Muslims Hate Each Other?"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:11:40 PM »
Haven’t posted in a while but this topic intrigued me.

Although many scholars believe the conflict between Isaac and Ishmael can be connected to the Jew/Muslim quarrels of today some Biblical theologist of today, and I will include myself in this too, believe the following story in Genesis to be the basis for what we see today:

Genesis 25:19-34

19 This is the account of Abraham's son Isaac.
 Abraham became the father of Isaac,
20 and Isaac was forty years old when he married Rebekah daughter of Bethuel the Aramean from Paddan Aram and sister of Laban  the Aramean.
21 Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was barren. The LORD answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant.
22 The babies jostled each other within her, and she said, "Why is this happening to me?" So she went to inquire of the LORD.
23 The LORD said to her,
       "Two nations are in your womb,
       and two peoples from within you will be separated;
       one people will be stronger than the other,
       and the older will serve the younger."

24 When the time came for her to give birth, there were twin boys in her womb.
25 The first to come out was red, and his whole body was like a hairy garment; so they named him Esau.
26 After this, his brother came out, with his hand grasping Esau's heel; so he was named Jacob.  Isaac was sixty years old when Rebekah gave birth to them.
27 The boys grew up, and Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the open country, while Jacob was a quiet man, staying among the tents.
28 Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob.
29 Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished.
30 He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom.)
31 Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright."
32 "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?"
33 But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.
34 Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.  So Esau despised his birthright.

Though his brother Jacob took advantage of him, the Bible gives Esau little sympathy for his role as victim: he “despised his birthright” (verse 34) by letting his hunger overwhelm his concern for things of lasting value.  Because of this he was later labeled “godless”.  (Hebrews 12:16)

If you continue to read in Genesis, you’ll see Jacob flatly lied to his father Isaac to receive the birthright.  And Jacob spent most of his life in exile for his choices.

But God chose Jacob, even before his born.  God’s choice did not depend on how a person behaved.  He chose the one he wanted- it was as simple as that.
Is this fair, Paul asked in Romans 9?  He concluded that we have no right to find fault with God’s choices, knowing little as we do compared to his infinite understanding.

W

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »
*Falls asleep*

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50:58 AM »
Night night Eisenherz ;D

mightymouse, thank you, interesting comments!
R

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
Haven’t posted in a while but this topic intrigued me.

Although many scholars believe the conflict between Isaac and Ishmael can be connected to the Jew/Muslim quarrels of today some Biblical theologist of today, and I will include myself in this too, believe the following story in Genesis to be the basis for what we see today:

Genesis 25:19-34

19 This is the account of Abraham's son Isaac.
 Abraham became the father of Isaac,
20 and Isaac was forty years old when he married Rebekah daughter of Bethuel the Aramean from Paddan Aram and sister of Laban  the Aramean.
21 Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was barren. The LORD answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant.
22 The babies jostled each other within her, and she said, "Why is this happening to me?" So she went to inquire of the LORD.
23 The LORD said to her,
       "Two nations are in your womb,
       and two peoples from within you will be separated;
       one people will be stronger than the other,
       and the older will serve the younger."

24 When the time came for her to give birth, there were twin boys in her womb.
25 The first to come out was red, and his whole body was like a hairy garment; so they named him Esau.
26 After this, his brother came out, with his hand grasping Esau's heel; so he was named Jacob.  Isaac was sixty years old when Rebekah gave birth to them.
27 The boys grew up, and Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the open country, while Jacob was a quiet man, staying among the tents.
28 Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob.
29 Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished.
30 He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom.)
31 Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright."
32 "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?"
33 But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.
34 Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.  So Esau despised his birthright.

Though his brother Jacob took advantage of him, the Bible gives Esau little sympathy for his role as victim: he “despised his birthright” (verse 34) by letting his hunger overwhelm his concern for things of lasting value.  Because of this he was later labeled “godless”.  (Hebrews 12:16)

If you continue to read in Genesis, you’ll see Jacob flatly lied to his father Isaac to receive the birthright.  And Jacob spent most of his life in exile for his choices.

But God chose Jacob, even before his born.  God’s choice did not depend on how a person behaved.  He chose the one he wanted- it was as simple as that.
Is this fair, Paul asked in Romans 9?  He concluded that we have no right to find fault with God’s choices, knowing little as we do compared to his infinite understanding.

I was just talking about this not too long ago. The sermon in church I heard last week talked about Jacob and Esau, but the subject wasn’t the Jewish/Arab conflict. It was about dysfunction in the family, how to recognize it, and how to combat it.

The whole family is at fault here: Jacob, for lying to get his birthright; Rebekah for assisting Jacob in the deception; Esau for belittling the value and importance of it (notwithstanding the fact that it wasn't his to give away at that point).......AND one other guy, whom many seem to let off the hook, ISAAC.

He quickly forgets the Lord’s providence in his own life; after all, he is the product of a 90-YEAR OLD WOMAN (who was barren during what should have been her child-bearing years). Also slipping the mind of Isaac was the fact that, had tradition been followed, it would have been Ishmael, not him, that received Abraham’s covenant.

Dysfunction is what happens when you mess with God's plan and design. The whole reason there was a conflict between Ishmael and Isaac, in the first place, is because Abraham and Sarah tried to produce an heir by having Abe marry Hagar, resulting with Ishmael. God made it clear that Abe's promised seed would come THROUGH SARAH.

One generation later, we see the same thing occuring. Instead of Isaac, heeding the word of the Lord (Rebekah is told that two nations are in her womb and that the older will serve the younger. No doubt, Isaac knows this, as well), he goes with his ego and with tradition and prepares to give the birthright to Esau, because Esau is his favorite (one of the signs of dysfunction in a family: playing favorites with the children).

Jacob did NOT have to deceive his father to get the birthright. God promised it to him; and He would have delivered (The mere fact that he and Esau exist is a testament to God keeping His word). But, because he obtained it in that fashion, it severed him from his family. He fled for his life, not even able to be with his dying father orgrieving mother, as his brother sought to kill him. And, as we later learned, he gets deceived himself by his Uncle Laban BIG TIME ("You reap what you sow!").

Jacob eventually sees the error of his ways and humbles himself before his brother. They reconciled, to a degree. But a lot of time passed and lot of unneccesary pain and suffering occured, because they screwed up the path that the Lord made for them.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:56:49 PM »
I was just talking about this not too long ago. The sermon in church I heard last week talked about Jacob and Esau, but the subject wasn’t the Jewish/Arab conflict. It was about dysfunction in the family, how to recognize it, and how to combat it.

The whole family is at fault here: Jacob, for lying to get his birthright; Rebekah for assisting Jacob in the deception; Esau for belittling the value and importance of it (notwithstanding the fact that it wasn't his to give away at that point).......AND one other guy, whom many seem to let off the hook, ISAAC.

He quickly forgets the Lord’s providence in his own life; after all, he is the product of a 90-YEAR OLD WOMAN (who was barren during what should have been her child-bearing years). Also slipping the mind of Isaac was the fact that, had tradition been followed, it would have been Ishmael, not him, that received Abraham’s covenant.

Dysfunction is what happens when you mess with God's plan and design. The whole reason there was a conflict between Ishmael and Isaac, in the first place, is because Abraham and Sarah tried to produce an heir by having Abe marry Hagar, resulting with Ishmael. God made it clear that Abe's promised seed would come THROUGH SARAH.

One generation later, we see the same thing occuring. Instead of Isaac, heeding the word of the Lord (Rebekah is told that two nations are in her womb and that the older will serve the younger. No doubt, Isaac knows this, as well), he goes with his ego and with tradition and prepares to give the birthright to Esau, because Esau is his favorite (one of the signs of dysfunction in a family: playing favorites with the children).

Jacob did NOT have to deceive his father to get the birthright. God promised it to him; and He would have delivered (The mere fact that he and Esau exist is a testament to God keeping His word). But, because he obtained it in that fashion, it severed him from his family. He fled for his life, not even able to be with his dying father orgrieving mother, as his brother sought to kill him. And, as we later learned, he gets deceived himself by his Uncle Laban BIG TIME ("You reap what you sow!").

Jacob eventually sees the error of his ways and humbles himself before his brother. They reconciled, to a degree. But a lot of time passed and lot of unneccesary pain and suffering occured, because they screwed up the path that the Lord made for them.

You bring up some good points.

But if may slightly disagree on one point. 

IMO:

Technically, Ishmael was Abraham’s first born- but not from Sarah.

Abe knew God’s promise was to come from Sarah so his covenant had to be made to Isaac.
I don’t believe the Bible clearly states why the birthright didn’t go to Ishmael.  This is just my opinion. 

I think this story also lends itself to another avenue to look at.
God does not look for perfection to carry out his work.  Abraham was far from it.  As also was Isaac.  But in the decisive moments they listened to God and obeyed. 

As dysfunctional (by our standards) as that family was, they were God’s choice.  And they proved faithful by ways I can’t comprehend. 
King David is another good example.
W

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »
That's easy. Because Israel stole the Palestinians land from them. I'd be pissed too if someone came and strongarmed my house from me.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 08:29:44 AM »

You bring up some good points.

But if may slightly disagree on one point. 

IMO:

Technically, Ishmael was Abraham’s first born- but not from Sarah.

Abe knew God’s promise was to come from Sarah so his covenant had to be made to Isaac.
I don’t believe the Bible clearly states why the birthright didn’t go to Ishmael.  This is just my opinion. 

I think this story also lends itself to another avenue to look at.
God does not look for perfection to carry out his work.  Abraham was far from it.  As also was Isaac.  But in the decisive moments they listened to God and obeyed. 

As dysfunctional (by our standards) as that family was, they were God’s choice.  And they proved faithful by ways I can’t comprehend. 
King David is another good example.

Agreed!!!

But, a lot of the bickering between Sarah and Hagar dealt with that issue.

No, Ishmael wasn’t born of Sarah. But, he was Abe’s firstborn, so Hagar undoubtedly felt that Ishmael should get the birthright (per the laws and traditions of that time). Sarah likely felt that way too, until she finally had Isaac. Then, all of a sudden, she wanted to go back to the covenant that God promised her and Abraham (which is ironic, considering that this whole Hagar-Ishmael thing was HER IDEA).

It was in her impatience, that she conjured up the idea about Abe and Hagar. After all, I think was about 10 years between the time God promised Abraham that he would be the father of a great nation and the time Operation-Ishmael was hatched. Overall, it took about 20-25 years, between the time God made the covenant with Abe and the time Isaac was acutally born.

Back to the whole birthright thing with Jacob and Esau, I re-emphasized that this whole thing started because, contrary to the edict of God, Isaac decided to give Esau the birthright, as he was Isaac’s favorite son (and, technically, the firstborn as well).

That's easy. Because Israel stole the Palestinians land from them. I'd be pissed too if someone came and strongarmed my house from me.

First, I think you got that backward. The Palestinians stole Israel’s land; the Israelites simply got back what was theirs.

Second, this issue goes WAAAAAAAAY back, before there ever was a “Palestine”. This goes beyond a simple piece of land-mass property. Abraham is considered the patriarch of many nations of the Ancient Near East. Affiliation with him is a BIG deal, both from a spiritual and ancestral perspective.

Third, you could give the Palestinians every single square inch of that land and stick the Jews in the middle of Antartica. The Palestinians would still be screaming “Death to Israel!!!”

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
Agreed!!!

But, a lot of the bickering between Sarah and Hagar dealt with that issue.

No, Ishmael wasn’t born of Sarah. But, he was Abe’s firstborn, so Hagar undoubtedly felt that Ishmael should get the birthright (per the laws and traditions of that time). Sarah likely felt that way too, until she finally had Isaac. Then, all of a sudden, she wanted to go back to the covenant that God promised her and Abraham (which is ironic, considering that this whole Hagar-Ishmael thing was HER IDEA).

It was in her impatience, that she conjured up the idea about Abe and Hagar. After all, I think was about 10 years between the time God promised Abraham that he would be the father of a great nation and the time Operation-Ishmael was hatched. Overall, it took about 20-25 years, between the time God made the covenant with Abe and the time Isaac was acutally born.

Back to the whole birthright thing with Jacob and Esau, I re-emphasized that this whole thing started because, contrary to the edict of God, Isaac decided to give Esau the birthright, as he was Isaac’s favorite son (and, technically, the firstborn as well).

First, I think you got that backward. The Palestinians stole Israel’s land; the Israelites simply got back what was theirs.

Second, this issue goes WAAAAAAAAY back, before there ever was a “Palestine”. This goes beyond a simple piece of land-mass property. Abraham is considered the patriarch of many nations of the Ancient Near East. Affiliation with him is a BIG deal, both from a spiritual and ancestral perspective.

Third, you could give the Palestinians every single square inch of that land and stick the Jews in the middle of Antartica. The Palestinians would still be screaming “Death to Israel!!!”

Operation Ishmael!  Nice.

Man, you make some really good observations.

Sarah did become "jealous" with Hagar and Ishmael
21:10- "....get rid of that slave woman and here son, for that slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with my son."

And God agreed.
21:12- But God said to him (Abraham), " Do not be distressed about the boy and your maidservant.  Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."

And a verse later Abe kicked'm to the curb!

I think it's interesting too that this was concieved in Sarah's mind.  That quite possibly you could lay this whole Jew/Arab conflict at her door. 
Now, go back about 20 chapters or so in Genesis and who did the serpent decieve in the Garden?? 
A woman.
And you could quite possibly lay the entire sin in the history of the World at Eve's door. 

Just making an observation.  I don't want anyone freak out over that.
W

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »

Operation Ishmael!  Nice.

Man, you make some really good observations.

Sarah did become "jealous" with Hagar and Ishmael
21:10- "....get rid of that slave woman and here son, for that slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with my son."

And God agreed.
21:12- But God said to him (Abraham), " Do not be distressed about the boy and your maidservant.  Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."

And a verse later Abe kicked'm to the curb!

I think it's interesting too that this was concieved in Sarah's mind.  That quite possibly you could lay this whole Jew/Arab conflict at her door. 
Now, go back about 20 chapters or so in Genesis and who did the serpent decieve in the Garden?? 
A woman.
And you could quite possibly lay the entire sin in the history of the World at Eve's door. 

Just making an observation.  I don't want anyone freak out over that.

You could. But then again, Abe's the one who actually had to do the deed. And, it doesn't appear that Sarah had to twist his arm to do it. Imagine your wife telling you to have sex with a young cute little French maid.....Abe really took one for the team, there  ;D .

As for the Genesis thing, keep in mind that the New Testament charges ADAM with the trangression, "For by one man did sin enter into all the world".

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »

You make another good point....my wife certainly wouldn't have to put a gun to my head on that one!

I was kind joking around about Sarah and Eve. 

IMO, if I were to ask God who would he blame for sin I feel his answer would be mankind.  Not male or female.
Because it's everyone who suffers the consequences of sin and just not a sex.
W