Author Topic: Anyone been to Israel?  (Read 1988 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Anyone been to Israel?
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »
Has anyone been there in any capacity?  Thanks!
R

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
Re: Anyone been to Israel?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »
Has anyone been there in any capacity?  Thanks!
Yes I have been to Israel 5 times (Haifa was the port) when I was in the US Navy. A very beautiful country, the people were very nice and fortunately no fighting took place during my visits.

I lost my wallet in a night club in Tel Aviv and the person that found it mailed it back to the address on my driver's license with the money still in the wallet; I thought that was cool.

HM (Traveler of the Seven Seas)

W

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
Thanks for the input Hustle Man!  And thanks for serving our country :)
R

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
A bit late, but yah i've been, born there, why?

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:37:46 PM »
Every fucking time someone mentions that country the asshole asks if it's real!   >:(

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:29:42 AM »
Thanks for the input Hustle Man!  And thanks for serving our country :)

Some of my relatives been there in those christian tours, its like praying all the way to israel and crying for jesus :(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:59:51 AM »
I have been invited to go to Israel more than once, but I do not want to get caught in any crossfire, blown up, or otherwise killed.  I am told there are parts of the country where that stuff simply does not happen; I'd like to believe that is true, but it would be just my luck to go over there in an ostensibly safe part of the country have a bomb go off in my face. 

I understand legitimate grievances on both sides, but as a black American, I don't have a dog in the fighting over there.  I don't want to get blown up by mistake...  so I have declined all invitations to go to Israel.  Am I being paranoid?  :-[

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:57 AM »
I have been invited to go to Israel more than once, but I do not want to get caught in any crossfire, blown up, or otherwise killed.  I am told there are parts of the country where that stuff simply does not happen; I'd like to believe that is true, but it would be just my luck to go over there in an ostensibly safe part of the country have a bomb go off in my face. 

I understand legitimate grievances on both sides, but as a black American, I don't have a dog in the fighting over there.  I don't want to get blown up by mistake...  so I have declined all invitations to go to Israel.  Am I being paranoid?  :-[

Actually you shouldnt try to go, my relatives saw the security at the airport asking a LOT of questions to all of those looking brown/black, not that jews are racist but they just dont think any colored person is trusteable. Also, if you are black/brown, never carry a guitar, they will think you are going there to start protests.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »
Assuming one is not Jewish, or particularly religious, what is the appeal of going to Israel?  If I had to list 10 places around the world I'd like to visit Israel would not be one of them.  Ditto if I were to list 20 or 30 places.  I have heard the spiel from Jewish friends and in-laws, but can an unbiased person give me the sales pitch of going to a country like Israel where innocent civilians/tourists are routinely killed in random fighting/terror attacks? 

btw, I am far from anti-semitic; one of my degrees is from a Jewish university; my hubby is Jewish (Jewish guys seem to like me for some reason); I have been to services at synagogue, bar mitzvahs, etc.  I'm sure Rowanda and Liberia are beautiful places too, but I'm not anxious to go to either.  I know bad things can happen anywhere, and I'm all for living life and taking adventures but why (potentially) compromise my personal safety if I don't have to? ???

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments.

We were considering going w/a church group but we've decided against it this time.

And Bay, apparently the places they are scheduled to go are not near conflict at this time and they said they'd change destinations if they were.  One of the head guys said that no tourist on a Christian tour group had ever been killed in a terrorist attack there....and I was surprised to hear that as you might be.

I would want to go as a person who would like to see places that the bible describes.  But if I weren't a Christian, NO WAY would I consider taking that long plane trip.  We have been invited to go to China several times.   I have no desire for that.  
R

residue

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »
Actually you shouldnt try to go, my relatives saw the security at the airport asking a LOT of questions to all of those looking brown/black, not that jews are racist but they just dont think any colored person is trusteable. Also, if you are black/brown, never carry a guitar, they will think you are going there to start protests.

Actually treatment of passengers is fairly uniformed, the airlines especially EL AL are notorious for being overly cautious. Even as an Israeli national, with 3 years in the idf, I have to show up 4hrs before departure for checks\questioning. Being coloured has nothing to do with it, most Israelis are brown.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 05:00:23 PM »

We were considering going w/a church group but we've decided against it this time.

And Bay, apparently the places they are scheduled to go are not near conflict at this time and they said they'd change destinations if they were.  One of the head guys said that no tourist on a Christian tour group had ever been killed in a terrorist attack there....and I was surprised to hear that as you might be.

I would want to go as a person who would like to see places that the bible describes.  But if I weren't a Christian, NO WAY would I consider taking that long plane trip.  We have been invited to go to China several times.   I have no desire for that.  Forget that long plane trip noise..plus I have a relative who went there and had trouble getting out (only harassed for a few hours but still)!

1.- if you go in one of those catholic tours, you will go to all of the biblical places, its great, thats what my relatives told me. Actually, they met the pope, it was part of the tour lol

2.- As for your relatives that had troubles getting out in china....i think they just didnt treat the chineses right (Get the fuck off my way idiot, thats what i tell them).
 :)

residue

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »

Most of the current conflict happens in southern Israel along the gaza border, the closest big city there is Beersheba and unless u have an affinity for middle eastern culture you'd have little interest in going there. The cool touristy shit is more north

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »

And Bay, apparently the places they are scheduled to go are not near conflict at this time and they said they'd change destinations if they were.  One of the head guys said that no tourist on a Christian tour group had ever been killed in a terrorist attack there....and I was surprised to hear that as you might be.

I would want to go as a person who would like to see places that the bible describes.  But if I weren't a Christian, NO WAY would I consider taking that long plane trip.  We have been invited to go to China several times.   I have no desire for that.  

A part of me understands the impulse of Christians to visit “the Holy Land” but a bigger part of me eschews the very idea of a Holy Land.  If one really subscribes to Judeo-Christian values, is one part of the earth more sacred than another?  Is one part Holy while another part isn’t?  I do not believe that.

Which is why I do not understand people fighting and killing one another over land that they claim to regard as sacred.  Would you have a fist fight in a church? ???  I have heard some of these fighters (on both sides) and they really seem to think that “God” is on their side and the taking of lives over (in some cases) ancient squabbles is justified.  

I’m much more interested in going to China than to Israel.  The Great Wall!  A billion people!  Hong Kong!  Helloooo!   :D