Author Topic: Pete Carroll chastises Mark Sanchez...WTF?  (Read 28353 times)

body88

Re: Pete Carroll chastises Mark Sanchez...WTF?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
One more year of college probably won't be the difference of whether or not Mark succeeds or fails in the NFL.  This is all an individual thing we're talking about here...and Mark made a good decision based off where will be drafted. 

I understand....I am simply basing my opinion on the statistical evidence available over the last ten years.  Maybe Sanchez will be an exception to the rule, but there is an 90% chance that he wont.

As the stats showed additional starts in college make a big difference.  I hope it works out for him.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:08 AM »

I understand....I am simply basing my opinion on the statistical evidence available over the last ten years.  Maybe Sanchez will be an exception to the rule, but there is an 90% chance that he wont.

As the stats showed additional starts in college make a big difference.  I hope it works out for him.

90%?  Where did you get that from? 

body88

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
90%?  Where did you get that from? 

Sorry, 85% or 84.7 is the number (typo).  You guys are right in regards to the money aspect of this whole thing.....but, I doubt Sanchez would want to be known as a bust.  Being a better player makes him more money in the long run.

10 out of 13 QBs drafted in the 1st round between 1998-2005 with less than 35 starts are BUSTS
76.9 % fail rate
23.1 % success rate

2 out of the 13 QBs drafted in the 1st round between 1998-2005 with 35 or more starts are BUSTS
15.3% fail rate
84.7% success rate"

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »

Sorry, 85% or 84.7 is the number (typo).  You guys are right in regards to the money aspect of this whole thing.....but, I doubt Sanchez would want to be known as a bust.  Being a better player makes him more money in the long run.

10 out of 13 QBs drafted in the 1st round between 1998-2005 with less than 35 starts are BUSTS
76.9 % fail rate
23.1 % success rate

2 out of the 13 QBs drafted in the 1st round between 1998-2005 with 35 or more starts are BUSTS
15.3% fail rate
84.7% success rate"

First of all, you can't even quantify what an actual "bust" is.  Why are you referencing statistics when you can't even define what a bust is?

Secondly, statistics are a guide, not a rule.

There are also a good number of QBs who have left early and performed well. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
failed NFL QB = still pretty damn rich, retired at 25, with no real long-term injury.

not too shabby!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
do you know who jimmy clausen is? big prospects don;t mean shit. clausen was touted as the second coming of moses....he came in with one of nd's top recruiting classes EVER. And look at them, barely breaking .500

clausen is a true sophomore

as sophomores he is better than brady quinn was

E
E

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 12:33:44 PM »
failed NFL QB = still pretty damn rich, retired at 25, with no real long-term injury.

not too shabby!

I agree 100%!  Many of these guys are looking to made some coin while they are young and healthy.  Some fans tend to think players hold success on the field as high or higher than financial success.  WRONG!  It all comes down to getting that paycheck...followed by glory on the field.  

I think Mark's success in the NFL depends more on which team drafts him and the players/coaches that surround him than the fact he's leaving school with one year of eligibility left.
 He's also finishing his degree this spring while preparing for the draft!  I think he's going to perform well in workouts and be selected in the top 5.  

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
carroll is being very selfish, sanchez is a projected top 10 pick you should never try to convince a kid like that to come back

E
E

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 12:39:31 PM »
carroll is being very selfish, sanchez is a projected top 10 pick you should never try to convince a kid like that to come back

E

Agreed.  Even if he disagrees with the decision, its in extremely poor taste to speak against a guy who just took you to a rose bowl win and was named the game's MVP.  By the way, Mark should have started TWO years instead of one...starting John David Booty was a total mistake.  Many USC players liked Sanchez better and wanted him to be the starter during the 2007 season.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »
clausen is a true sophomore

as sophomores he is better than brady quinn was

E

what was the point of this? Quinn was a more decorated qb than clausen will ever be. Clausen sucked even harder as a true freshmen....... we were discussing usc's new recuit, not how much worse can clausen get.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »

what was the point of this? Quinn was a more decorated qb than clausen will ever be. Clausen sucked even harder as a true freshmen....... we were discussing usc's new recuit, not how much worse can clausen get.

you brought up clausen, not me

i'm saying it is too early to call jimmy a bust

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »
Agreed.  Even if he disagrees with the decision, its in extremely poor taste to speak against a guy who just took you to a rose bowl win and was named the game's MVP.  By the way, Mark should have started TWO years instead of one...starting John David Booty was a total mistake.  Many USC players liked Sanchez better and wanted him to be the starter during the 2007 season.

carroll convinced leinart to come back and he lost millions

he would've been drafted number 1 overall, fell to 10th the next year

E
E

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 12:44:05 PM »
you brought up clausen, not me

i'm saying it is too early to call jimmy a bust

E

He certainly has not lived up to the hype.  

body88

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »

not too shabby!

Successful NFL QB = crazy rich.  Most guys don't want to be known as a bust playing the game they love.  Anyone who has that mindset is not a winner.  Do you think Leaf is happy with all his money?  He is the punchline for jokes.  The biggest bust ever.  Meanwhile Manning is getting all the glory and swimming in far more cash than his draft deal gave him.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »
I agree 100%!  Many of these guys are looking to made some coin while they are young and healthy.  Some fans tend to think players hold success on the field as high or higher than financial success.  WRONG!  It all comes down to getting that paycheck...followed by glory on the field.  

I think Mark's success in the NFL depends more on which team drafts him and the players/coaches that surround him than the fact he's leaving school with one year of eligibility left.
 He's also finishing his degree this spring while preparing for the draft!  I think he's going to perform well in workouts and be selected in the top 5.  

The average lifespan of an nfl player is what, 54?  something really short like that, I believe?

Maybe that sounds too low.  and that average includes the 350 pound dudes.

But overall, retire by age 27 with a 5 million $ nut in a trust, and live the good life.
And never get married.  Oh god no.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »
carroll convinced leinart to come back and he lost millions

he would've been drafted number 1 overall, fell to 10th the next year

E

THANK YOU!  Leinart slipped big time in the draft and has not done anything worthy of mention in the pros so far.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
Successful NFL QB = crazy rich.  Most guys don't want to be known as a bust playing the game they love.  Anyone who has that mindset is not a winner.  Do you think Leaf is happy with all his money?  He is the punchline for jokes.  The biggest bust ever.  Meanwhile Manning is getting all the glory and swimming in far more cash than his draft deal gave him.

true. but at age 50, leaf won't ache at night, while peyton will.  having a ring would rock though, i'll give ya that.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »
He certainly has not lived up to the hype.  

no he hasn't but most qb's don't start their first two years on campus

E
E

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »

E

What makes you think he will do anything different over the next 2 years?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »
once a guy is projected top 10, all they can do after that is find chinks in his armor and add another year of high level wear and tear.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »
What makes you think he will do anything different over the next 2 years?

he's on a very young team loaded with blue chip athletes, typically juniors and seniors are better than they were as underclassmen

just look at brady quinn :)

E
E

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »
once a guy is projected top 10, all they can do after that is find chinks in his armor and add another year of high level wear and tear.

That's right.  Not entering the draft after having been projected as a top 10 pick is heresy and spitting in the face of reason.  If Mark gets injured or has a bad season next year, his stock will plummet.  

Do you guys think Leinart will ever actually play his way into a contract that would have paid him as much as he would have gotten if turned pro after he won the Heisman and the Rose Bowl?  HUGE MISTAKE.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »
he's on a very young team loaded with blue chip athletes, typically juniors and seniors are better than they were as underclassmen

just look at brady quinn :)

E

Jimmy Clausen = the new Ron Powlus.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »

E

most qb's aren't ranked #1 coming out of highschool.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

And?  What does any of this have to do with Mark Sanchez?