Author Topic: Little boy killed by monster truck, but show must go on  (Read 3446 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Little boy killed by monster truck, but show must go on
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:46:11 PM »
Tragic:

TACOMA, Wash. – Debris flew into the grandstands at a monster truck show in Washington state, killing a 6-year-old boy and injuring another spectator, witnesses and city officials said Saturday.

A red truck came apart while doing doughnuts during the freestyle competition of Friday night's Monster Jam show, the witnesses said. Debris from the truck flew 30 to 50 feet over a safety barrier into the stands.

"Parts were falling off and a piece flew up and hit a little boy," Christine Moe told King Television of Seattle.

Police Officer Mark Fulghum said officers serving as security at the Tacoma Dome investigated the accident.

"At this point, there's nothing to indicate that there's anything criminal," Fulghum told The Associated Press on Saturday night. "Right now it looks like a tragic accident."

The Pierce County medical examiner's office identified the boy killed as Sebastian Hizey of Puyallup.

The boy's father, Jessie Hizey, issued a statement to KIRO-TV on Saturday that said his son was hit in the head by a Frisbee-sized piece of metal, weighing between 7 and 12 pounds.

"I cannot get the images" out of my head, the father said.

The man who was injured was taken to a hospital Friday night, but Robert McNair-Huff, community relations manager for the city, said the man's identity was not available Saturday.

Some spectators told the TV station they had to throw cups off the stands to get the attention of medics. The show continued after the two were hurt, and many spectators left.

"They just kept going," Moe said. "We grabbed our kids and just bee-lined out of there."

Laurie Deranleau, 32, a nurse from Westport, told The News Tribune, "Everybody sitting around thought they should have dropped the show and gave the family some respect. Nobody was paying attention to the show."

The Tacoma Dome was continuing with four Monster Jam shows on Saturday and Sunday.

McNair-Huff said the promoter, Feld Motor sports, promised more inspections of trucks in the show and that the truck involved in the accident would be withdrawn.

"All of us at Feld Motor Sports are saddened by the accident that occurred last night at the Monster Jam Show in Tacoma when two of our customers were seriously injured," the Aurora, Ill., company said in a statement Saturday to the AP. "Feld Motor Sports is looking into this tragic accident as the safety of all our customers is our top priority and this type of incident has never happened before in the history of Monster Jam events."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090118/ap_on_re_us/monster_truck_death

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
Re: Little boy killed by monster truck, but show must go on
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:51:09 PM »
Damn.... :'(

Try to take your kid to have some fun, and this shit happens?  :-\
HAHA, RON.....

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:09:11 PM »
that is just horrible... :'(   makes me sick that they just continued the show.

what that kids poor dad must be going thru.  :'(

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »
he died for those monster truck bitches

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:07:08 AM »

That's a horrible thing to say  ;D

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 02:21:09 AM »
DeltsaFarce can make a joke out of this kid dying but yet finds no humor in the Bobby Sly thread?   ::)

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 03:07:16 AM »
American society: all about the show that must go on. Fuckin' brainwashed lunatics.   ::)

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 03:08:57 AM »
American society: all about the show that must go on. Fuckin' brainwashed lunatics.   ::)
liberals I tell ya,,, ::)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 03:13:13 AM »
liberals I tell ya,,, ::)

Yeah I'm sure a lot of liberals hang out at Monster Truck shows...... ::)

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 03:35:03 AM »
Yeah I'm sure a lot of liberals hang out at Monster Truck shows...... ::)
LIBERALS=PEDs

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 04:27:37 AM »

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 04:51:04 AM »
Tragic:

TACOMA, Wash. – Debris flew into the grandstands at a monster truck show in Washington state, killing a 6-year-old boy and injuring another spectator, witnesses and city officials said Saturday.

A red truck came apart while doing doughnuts during the freestyle competition of Friday night's Monster Jam show, the witnesses said. Debris from the truck flew 30 to 50 feet over a safety barrier into the stands.

"Parts were falling off and a piece flew up and hit a little boy," Christine Moe told King Television of Seattle.

Police Officer Mark Fulghum said officers serving as security at the Tacoma Dome investigated the accident.

"At this point, there's nothing to indicate that there's anything criminal," Fulghum told The Associated Press on Saturday night. "Right now it looks like a tragic accident."

The Pierce County medical examiner's office identified the boy killed as Sebastian Hizey of Puyallup.

The boy's father, Jessie Hizey, issued a statement to KIRO-TV on Saturday that said his son was hit in the head by a Frisbee-sized piece of metal, weighing between 7 and 12 pounds.

"I cannot get the images" out of my head, the father said.

The man who was injured was taken to a hospital Friday night, but Robert McNair-Huff, community relations manager for the city, said the man's identity was not available Saturday.

Some spectators told the TV station they had to throw cups off the stands to get the attention of medics. The show continued after the two were hurt, and many spectators left.

"They just kept going," Moe said. "We grabbed our kids and just bee-lined out of there."

Laurie Deranleau, 32, a nurse from Westport, told The News Tribune, "Everybody sitting around thought they should have dropped the show and gave the family some respect. Nobody was paying attention to the show."

The Tacoma Dome was continuing with four Monster Jam shows on Saturday and Sunday.

McNair-Huff said the promoter, Feld Motor sports, promised more inspections of trucks in the show and that the truck involved in the accident would be withdrawn.

"All of us at Feld Motor Sports are saddened by the accident that occurred last night at the Monster Jam Show in Tacoma when two of our customers were seriously injured," the Aurora, Ill., company said in a statement Saturday to the AP. "Feld Motor Sports is looking into this tragic accident as the safety of all our customers is our top priority and this type of incident has never happened before in the history of Monster Jam events."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090118/ap_on_re_us/monster_truck_death

Since the show was completed, there will be no refunds.  However, take your ticket stub to the nearest Taco Bell and get a free soft taco with the purchase of any value meal.
~

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 04:55:46 AM »

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »

Last night's show also had a near-capacity crowd.

I guess they figured there was no way a 7-lb metal frisbee would fly into the stands again, but I heard some of the attendees did wear helmets. 

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 08:30:08 AM »

LOL!

spinnis

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »
His dad must feel like shit :/

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 08:45:46 AM »
Haha. Of course the show must go on. :-\
Cus an indivisual is like shit in front of the society. :-\
We are too many....

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 09:02:21 AM »

We're not all savages here asshole.

What enlightened society do you come from? ::)

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »

write them and let them know how you feel about leaving some little kid to die.
c'mon get active, no use in just complaining about it.

webmaster@monsterjamonline.com

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 09:14:19 AM »

::)
Assholes.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »
So you people are saying they should have stopped the show, refunded hundreds of tickets and lost even more money on top of what the insurance payout would be? People realize there is an inherent danger to attending events like that, they just never think it will happen to them.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 09:20:01 AM »
sad, can't imagine anyhting as painful as losing a child, especially that young.

DeketheCreep

• Getbig IV
  • then does a head stand and spread his ass apart!
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »
P.I.P  :'(

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
sad, can't imagine anyhting as painful as losing a child, especially that young.

Yep. I can't imagine what that poor family is going through.
HAHA, RON.....

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »
So you people are saying they should have stopped the show, refunded hundreds of tickets and lost even more money on top of what the insurance payout would be? People realize there is an inherent danger to attending events like that, they just never think it will happen to them.

Even though this had never happened before, I don't know how you go out the next night and do a show without at least acting like your safety protocol had been re-evaluated.

Freak accidents are a part of life, though. *sigh*