Author Topic: Gym Business Has Changed!  (Read 3177 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Gym Business Has Changed!
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:59:15 PM »
I've had the honor of seeing and training in Zuver's Gym in Costa Mesa, California when there were about 8 guys who were  considered to be the only real bodybuilders in Southern California (early 60's era).

Those who recall Zuver's will agree that it was beyond the imagination of anyone who lifted weights back then.

And today ... We have gyms such as Gold's in Simi Valley, California (just north of LA a bit) where the interior looks like an ultra fancy hotel/spa with very impressive equipment, including an almost true to life movie theater called "The Cardio Theater" constructed just like an actual movie house with ultra wide screen and the ultimate sound system.

But instead of seats, you are shown to the aerobic equipment of your choice where you can pedal way while watching the latest Hollywood production.

But don't expect the popcorn!

And everyone seems to be loving it! Shaved muscle-heads and little gray haired ladies sharing equipment side by side.

Then trip on over to Las Vegas and visit the newest 85,000 square foot Las Vegas Club - am amazing space of muscle enhancing, metal appropriations of various sorts .... or whatever! One room filled with teenaged kids lifting weights far heavier that their dads ever contemplated and buffed up for those Saturday nite excursions along the Strip before getting hauled away by the LV security forces..

Gym sre no longer as they used to be. They are no longer the smelly sweat-boxes of yesterday.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
Re: Gym Business Has Changed!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
I've had the honor of seeing and training in Zuver's Gym in Costa Mesa, California when there were about 8 guys who were  considered to be the only real bodybuilders in Southern California (early 60's era).

Those who recall Zuver's will agree that it was beyond the imagination of anyone who lifted weights back then.

And today ... We have gyms such as Gold's in Simi Valley, California (just north of LA a bit) where the interior looks like an ultra fancy hotel/spa with very impressive equipment, including an almost true to life movie theater called "The Cardio Theater" constructed just like an actual movie house with ultra wide screen and the ultimate sound system.

But instead of seats, you are shown to the aerobic equipment of your choice where you can pedal way while watching the latest Hollywood production.

And everyone seems to be loving it! Shaved muscle-heads and little gray haired ladies sharing equipment side by side.

Then trip on over to Las Vegas and visit the newest 85,000 square foot Las Vegas Club - am amazing space of muscle enhancing, metal appropriations of various sorts .... or whatever! One room filled with teenaged kids lifting weights far heavier that their dads ever contemplated and buffed up for those Saturday nite excursions along the Strip before getting hauled away by the LV security forces..

Gym sre no longer as they used to be. They are no longer the smelly sweat-boxes filled with schmoes and gays that I love to suck off for kicks and cash.

You're right stuntmovie...it seems things have changed...

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
they have had cardio-theater in the gold's in mcallen,tx for years now. ;)
A

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »
Buncha pussy ass mutherfukers!!!   >:( The first gym I ever lifted in smelled like ass feet and sweat!!!!!! No women ever dared come in there and if they did which was rare they looked like guys anyway. Plush ass carpeting?????? WTF!!!!   >:( The only thing on the floor of a gym back then was blood sweat and spit from a hard ass workout!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( Oh and maybe a needle or two on the bathroom floor.  ;D

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »
I was pissed about this, so I cleared out a room in my basement...

I then ripped out the carpet so that the floor was concrete and put up 4 4'X8' mirrors (one centered on each wall) and changed the lighting so that it gave favorable shadows. Then, I set the whole thing up as a free weight gym, with only my power rack, a bench, parallel bars, my weights, chalk and bars. The room is hardcore, rugged, and sure as fuck isn't fancy. I love it! It raises my test and makes me train hard.

The Coach

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »

Gym sre no longer as they used to be. They are no longer the smelly sweat-boxes of yesterday.

Thats why I'm opening a warehouse gym.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:39:37 PM »
are gyms getting hit in this economy, i would think it would be the first to go.

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
are gyms getting hit in this economy, i would think it would be the first to go.
Your moral judgement is on the line, nycbull. Just like before.  ;) You know what the fuck I'm talking about.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:59 AM »
yeah, it sucks the stuff people demand of gyms these days. every time they ask for something new my first thought is "did Arnold need this crap?"

i do end up buying alot of tne new cardio stuff that all the other gyms have, but i draw the line at the cardio theatre. no one actually asks for it, and a lot of members have thanked me for not having it.

i have world class athletes training along side 80 year old women, and it is a very interactive, cohesive (SP?) mix of people.

when i got in my best shape for shows, the gym i trained at had 2 monarch bikes as the entire cardio section. everyone wants a shortcut or an easier way.

my gym website is     www.probodies.ca           if anyone is curious.

rik

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:41:22 AM »

Insane. Just like how you can't just get a month to month membership anymore. Or how you have to pay a down or a processing fee. You go to a gym now (especially the big chains), and you gotta sit down with some fucking two-bit salesman, who himself doesn't workout, but tells you how great this gym is. It's like buying a fucking car now, absolutely ridiculous.

Gym is big business, these days. The old style, Mom and Pop hardcore gyms, where people greeted you and were genuinely glad to have you there, are a thing of the past. A dying breed. Such a shame. Corporations are now in charge.....now I'm just member # 2990873-63534.
HAHA, RON.....

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:52:03 AM »

I agree with you.

I mean : it's nice that is clean but the old gyms is what drew us all to train .... it feels so much better. It has caracter and iron not plastic and carpet.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:50:24 AM »
Thats why I'm opening a warehouse gym.
With CRAZY warehouse prices!?    'C'mon down to Joe Loco's..?'    :D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 05:02:34 AM »
"Where prices are insane"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL  :)

JasonBourne22

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:23:07 AM »
I have never considered my gym hardcore until I found out that were the only gym in our area of atlanta with 150 lb dumbells! WTF is that about. Now we got more bodybuilders and hard trainers cause they can't go anywhere else or they get kicked out.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 05:32:52 AM »
yeah, it sucks the stuff people demand of gyms these days. every time they ask for something new my first thought is "did Arnold need this crap?"

i do end up buying alot of tne new cardio stuff that all the other gyms have, but i draw the line at the cardio theatre. no one actually asks for it, and a lot of members have thanked me for not having it.

i have world class athletes training along side 80 year old women, and it is a very interactive, cohesive (SP?) mix of people.

when i got in my best shape for shows, the gym i trained at had 2 monarch bikes as the entire cardio section. everyone wants a shortcut or an easier way.

my gym website is     www.probodies.ca           if anyone is curious.

rik
nice gym! I like that you have equipment of different colours so it doesn't look like a hospital

frankpt

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 05:38:43 AM »
This hits home with me. I first went to the gym in high school. Early 80's. Now everything is about "how much stuff" a gym has. They shouldn't be called gyms either,but rather health spas where everyone,especially the guys should wear spandex. Anyway, I have found a small place nearby with a weight room "separate" from the rest of the club. A family owned club,where the owner actually trains there too.I think this is at least better than most of everything you might find. Today I think most people are at the gym so they can say they go to the gym. Years ago people went to the gym only if they were regulars. You still have your regulars today though,few however. Another thing is that most,and really most people in the gym don't lift correctly because they only care about how much they can lift or"bench". Almost all gyms today are all about business and making money,signing people up and hooking them up with a trainer who really won't be able to help them anyway so they can drain as much money out of them as possible.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 06:43:44 AM »
Gyms are no longer "gyms".....they're recreation centers, fitness centers, fitness facilities or any other new noun you want to use, but they aren't gyms anymore. It's a bar without alcohol. Social watering holes. Most are completely clueless in this setting. The people who come there for "fitness purposes" scoff and stare at people who want to actually "lift" instead of tiptoe from machine to machine. It's like the new place my university just opened. The guy who runs it apparently got onto the staff (a few guys I happen to know as well) for not enforcing the "No dropping weight policy" when I was doing deadlifts a week ago. Real lifting/gyms are a dying breed.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 06:59:25 AM »
I bet you get more people training hard core at some dungeon dump than the fancy chrome palace.  It's nice to train in a fancy gym but  what determines your results is the work you put in.  Blue collar gyms have it all over the white collar gyms in terms of hard core membership. 

Those fancy pants places won't even let you join unless they have direct access to your checking account or credit card. Try to pay with cash and they throw you out.  Another ploy they use is that their rates are never in print.  Each member joining is hit up with the maximum they can extract from them.  In other words if 40 guys are in the gym there could be 40 different membership rates. 

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »

;D ;D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 07:43:52 AM »

didn't Zuver's have 200 pound db's for door handles?

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 08:06:38 AM »
Due to the hard economic times caused by President elect Obama Joe Loco has prices so low its loco.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 08:12:59 AM »
Yea, Oats, something like that. His gym was extra extraordinary. Heavy metal plates even covered a good majority of the gym floor too and the front door weighed over a ton but I can't recall all the exact details. I just wish it was still there.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »
Yea, Oats, something like that. His gym was extra extraordinary. Heavy metal plates even covered a good majority of the gym floor too and the front door weighed over a ton but I can't recall all the exact details. I just wish it was still there.
hahahhaa, can you imagine some of the fagggots and wimps you see "training" in gyms these days working out there?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:37 AM »
You know, in all truthfulness, it was evident that the gym business was initially changing when "Personal Training"  came into vogue.

Before "PT" it was simply a matter of politely asking, "Can I work in with you?" and finding a training partner who was a bit stronger than yourself.

No one ever expected to be paid for showing the newbies how to do curls or squats.  And it was evident that all those "helpers" knew what they were talking about.

Nowadays newbies think that they have to pay big bucks for a training program and how to use the equipment properly.

And the things that today's PT's teach their clients!!!!.......  It seems that lifting tea-bags would produce superior results.

"Here! Sit on this big round ball and curl these five pound dumbbells."

But it did create a new "industry" and additional income for the insurance companies and job opportunities for some of us who would have troubles working elsewhere.

That's GOOD!

But the BAD usually overcomes the Good and now I believe that the gyms themselves are demanding 50% of the Trainers' income.

That's BAD!

Anyone here use a PT outside of using a real expert to prep for an upcoming contest?

The Coach

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 08:31:55 AM »

*SIGH* :-\