Author Topic: Match of the Day  (Read 60768 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Match of the Day
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2009, 09:09:34 PM »
Austin v Benoit Smackdown 2001

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2009, 06:11:02 PM »
Dean Malenko vs Ultimo Dragon Starcade

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »
Cena v Umaga Last Man Standing

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2009, 09:13:19 AM »
Jericho v Jeff Hardy 2003

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2009, 06:58:14 AM »
Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Mitsuharu Misawa AJPW 1990

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2009, 10:47:06 AM »
I was never a mark for either of these guys, but this often overlooked match had some strong spots, told a good story, and had an entertaining ending.

They took some hard bumps as well, considering they were only working on a thin little mat.
Lawler’s commentary was also priceless. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2009, 08:47:40 AM »
"Angle vs. Benoit" Mania match:

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2009, 12:04:03 PM »
AJPW. Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson vs. Tiger Mask II & Shinichi Nakano

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2009, 08:03:22 AM »
AJPW. Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson vs. Tiger Mask II & Shinichi Nakano

Good find Mass! The Rock N Roll Express were a phenomenal tag team. If you like traditional tag team wrestling they are the team to watch. Good stuff.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »
RVD VS. Jerry Lynn Living Dangerously 1999

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Hart vs Steamboat Boston Garden

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »
Andre vs Big John Studd

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
Windham v Luger Chitown rumble

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
Flair vs Race Starcade 83

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2010, 05:19:57 AM »
I'm including this because it is the best 'fro vs. 'fro match ever seen, and it's one of my favorite juice shots ever caught on film.

Check out when Brody kicks Superfly in the head at 4:25.
While selling on all fours, you can see Snuka ditch the blade in his trunks - which isn't bad at all.
It's when he gets up at 4:34 and the blood just "squirts" from his head and literally sprays across his brachial & anterior delt.

Even Tarantino could never recreate the perfection in that shot with all of Hollywood's magic!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
I'm including this because it is the best 'fro vs. 'fro match ever seen, and it's one of my favorite juice shots ever caught on film.

Check out when Brody kicks Superfly in the head at 4:25.
While selling on all fours, you can see Snuka ditch the blade in his trunks - which isn't bad at all.
It's when he gets up at 4:34 and the blood just "squirts" from his head and literally sprays across his brachial & anterior delt.

Even Tarantino could never recreate the perfection in that shot with all of Hollywood's magic!

F**k Mont, how the hell do you catch this shit? I'm still trying to catch Orndorff Blading in his cage match with Hogan back in December of 1986. You have a good eye, man.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »
F**k Mont, how the hell do you catch this shit? I'm still trying to catch Orndorff Blading in his cage match with Hogan back in December of 1986. You have a good eye, man.  :)

A lot of guys from the 60's-80's used tiny pockets that were sewn inside the waistband of their trunks as a means of disposing a dirty blade after the act.
Suffice to say that, anytime you see a wrestler with his hand down his pants during a match (unless it's Pat Patterson), that's probably what he's doing.

I've also seen footage of guys stuffing them into their (or their opponent's) trunks, kneepad...even a turnbuckle pad, although I can't recall at the moment exactly who that was.
Triple H once juiced during a match and simply kept the blade in his closed fist.
I'm not sure why; it looked kind of strange that he kept his fist clenched for the last 3-4 minutes of the match.

In the match where Curt Hennig defeated Nick Bockwinkle for the AWA title, you can tell Bockwinkle stole (retrieved) his blade from the tape on his wrist.
The camera didn't catch the steal, but a lengthy end of the tape was left dangling; a dead give-away as to the blade's origins.
Even worse was that, as Nick was cutting himself, a fan towards center frame noticed the act and began signaling in no uncertain terms to EVERYONE in the audience - and watching at home - that Nick was doing the deed.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »

A lot of guys from the 60's-80's used tiny pockets that were sewn inside the waistband of their trunks as a means of disposing a dirty blade after the act.
Suffice to say that, anytime you see a wrestler with his hand down his pants during a match (unless it's Pat Patterson), that's probably what he's doing.

I've also seen footage of guys stuffing them into their (or their opponent's) trunks, kneepad...even a turnbuckle pad, although I can't recall at the moment exactly who that was.
Triple H once juiced during a match and simply kept the blade in his closed fist.
I'm not sure why; it looked kind of strange that he kept his fist clenched for the last 3-4 minutes of the match.

In the match where Curt Hennig defeated Nick Bockwinkle for the AWA title, you can tell Bockwinkle stole (retrieved) his blade from the tape on his wrist.
The camera didn't catch the steal, but a lengthy end of the tape was left dangling; a dead give-away as to the blade's origins.
Even worse was that, as Nick was cutting himself, a fan towards center frame noticed the act and began signaling in no uncertain terms to EVERYONE in the audience - and watching at home - that Nick was doing the deed.

Christ, that would be pretty dangerous. Imagine they took a bad bump with that blade in their trunk pocket hole and it stabbed themselves inevitably.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2010, 12:42:29 PM »
I may have mentioned this in another thread, but…

IMO, the “safest” (while not always practical) way to blade is to use a somewhat newer method:
The dangerous part is completed prior to going out.

Using a mirror, good light, a freshly sanitized razor, and other amentities not available in the ring, you carefully cut your forehead in the desired location/manner.
You next apply a dab of New-Skin liquid Band-Aid over the incision.
If you want, you can even put makeup over the New-Skin to really touch it up.

Now, you go out, get hit, and - while selling - you simply open the wound, which is quite easily accomplished using the base of your palm, or wrist, etc.  
It’s nice for use in a promo or early in the match, but may not hold up to wrestling for a substantial length.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2010, 04:24:22 AM »
I may have mentioned this in another thread, but…

IMO, the “safest” (while not always practical) way to blade is to use a somewhat newer method:
The dangerous part is completed prior to going out.

Using a mirror, good light, a freshly sanitized razor, and other amentities not available in the ring, you carefully cut your forehead in the desired location/manner.
You next apply a dab of New-Skin liquid Band-Aid over the incision.
If you want, you can even put makeup over the New-Skin to really touch it up.

Now, you go out, get hit, and - while selling - you simply open the wound, which is quite easily accomplished using the base of your palm, or wrist, etc.  
It’s nice for use in a promo or early in the match, but may not hold up to wrestling for a substantial length.

I wonder if anyone in the WWE has ever bladed this way. Seems easier rather than doing it in the ring with an actual blade for a lesser experienced guy.

Hey Mont, In the Savage vs Hogan match at WM5, do you think Hogan really bladed himself? If you watch the match, he was already cut prior to bending over and getting kicked in the head where he sold the cut. I couldn't catch Hogan actually blading there so i'm wondering if maybe it was an accident.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2010, 05:20:54 AM »
I'd have to watch it again.
I've got a second generation VHS of it somewhere in my basement, but I've never really "studied" any Hogan matches - no offense to the "big dude upstairs." :)

The forehead is very vascular & thin-skinned, so it‘s quite possible that Hulkster was legitimately busted open.
Sometimes, an old cut would inadvertently open on a guy during a match, but I doubt this was the case here since blading was not common practice in WWF - even house shows - at that time.

A few years later, it seemed like a lot of guys got juice during their high-profile matches.
Hogan bladed during his Mania feud with Slaughter,  Bret juiced in his Mania I-C match with Piper, and Flair got LOTS of color that same night against Savage (they also got hell for it, too, afterwards).

If you have the WM5 footage handy, watch it again and pay close attention to maybe the last 2 or 3 things the camera caught before the blood was noticeable.
Oftentimes, you can catch it, but not always.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2010, 08:15:09 AM »
I'd have to watch it again.
I've got a second generation VHS of it somewhere in my basement, but I've never really "studied" any Hogan matches - no offense to the "big dude upstairs." :)

The forehead is very vascular & thin-skinned, so it‘s quite possible that Hulkster was legitimately busted open.
Sometimes, an old cut would inadvertently open on a guy during a match, but I doubt this was the case here since blading was not common practice in WWF - even house shows - at that time.

A few years later, it seemed like a lot of guys got juice during their high-profile matches.
Hogan bladed during his Mania feud with Slaughter,  Bret juiced in his Mania I-C match with Piper, and Flair got LOTS of color that same night against Savage (they also got hell for it, too, afterwards).

If you have the WM5 footage handy, watch it again and pay close attention to maybe the last 2 or 3 things the camera caught before the blood was noticeable.
Oftentimes, you can catch it, but not always.
I heard that Bret was legitamtely busted open at WM8 but Flair's was a blade job.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »
I heard that Bret was legitamtely busted open at WM8 but Flair's was a blade job.

Okay, maybe I’m mistaken.
I thought that, in his book, Bret confessed to blading in his match with Piper.

IIRC, he was quite pleased with himself because his juice looked legit and only Flair & Savage were reprimanded afterwards.
This was during one of those times when WWF brass was very much against blood in matches - moreso than usual.

Quite interesting that ECW alumnus Steve Austin had never done the deed until his Mania submission match with Bret a few years later.
Austin was so green about the whole thing that Bret supposedly did everything from concealing the blade to the actual cutting.

And, to answer your question from two posts ago, I believe that Hogan used the New-Skin method in a WWF promo shortly after his first post-WCW comeback.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »
You've got to log a lot of hours watching matches to get good at spotting things like blading.
It's probably best to start with "slightly" easier instances like this:

;D