Author Topic: Freezing Food  (Read 705 times)

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
Freezing Food
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »
How many of you freeeze your cooked chicken - asparagus - brown rice.

I am always so busy and now have to cook for longer periods of time.

I did this once before and then defrosted and heated the food in a skillet. It tasted good, but when you are dieting everything tastes good.

Any opinions?
O

Exal

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Freezing Food
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
If it's properly cooked it can probably last a good while, but only 1 freeze!! once it's thawed you have to eat it right away or it'll go bad very fast

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »
Thanks! The things we do  ;D
O

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:32:49 AM »
If a piece of chicken will last 3 days before freezing, it'll still last 3 days after thawing.

I wouldn't freeze veggies.  It'll do bad things to the texture of most of them.  Store bought frozen veg are 'crash frozen' so that the ice doesn't form crystals large enough to rupture the cell walls and ruin (much) the texture.

Learning how to prep food for quick cooking is preferable to freezing.  You get to eat it fresh (freezing affects the texture of everything to some extent) and you don't have to do the defrosting dance.

Toaster oven is preferable to microwave for reheating most things imo.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
best way to freeze fruits and veg is to use dry ice and a cooler.  It freezes the food faster not allowing it to form the long ice crystals normal freezing produces and preserves the texture.  After they are frozen in the cooler, transfer to a freezer bag and they are good to go in the freezer.