Author Topic: Good Wrestling Books (threads merged):  (Read 28248 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Good Wrestling Books (threads merged):
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 04:17:28 AM »
Foley's first book is the standard.

Piper's was good at showing how the promoters manipulate wrestlers.

Oh, yeah; Have a Nice Day started it all.
There were maybe six or so top WWF players who were contracted to write books, and through some unexpected turn of events, Foley’s ended up being first - and IMO, the best.
There’s lots of interesting history, too, about obstacles they faced in publishing the book, and the fact that he didn’t use a ghostwriter.

My only gripe with Piper’s book is that he wrote so much of it in kayfabe.
There’s no need, I don’t think fans today want that, and I believe it damages his credibility a bit.

QED: Heenan writes about how they used to wrestle a bear in some of the Northwest territories. He mentioned how the bear was trained to react to certain things, and also how - as a rib - they used to apply honey to the ass of rookies’ trunks so that the bear would go after it.

On the other hand, Piper’s account of wrestling the bear was literally like, “That huge bear was trying to kill me!”
 :-\

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »

Oh, yeah; Have a Nice Day started it all.
There were maybe six or so top WWF players who were contracted to write books, and through some unexpected turn of events, Foley’s ended up being first - and IMO, the best.
There’s lots of interesting history, too, about obstacles they faced in publishing the book, and the fact that he didn’t use a ghostwriter.

My only gripe with Piper’s book is that he wrote so much of it in kayfabe.
There’s no need, I don’t think fans today want that, and I believe it damages his credibility a bit.

QED: Heenan writes about how they used to wrestle a bear in some of the Northwest territories. He mentioned how the bear was trained to react to certain things, and also how - as a rib - they used to apply honey to the ass of rookies’ trunks so that the bear would go after it.

On the other hand, Piper’s account of wrestling the bear was literally like, “That huge bear was trying to kill me!”
 :-\
WTF  :o

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 08:37:50 AM »

Does he write any of it in character?

As best I can remember, it's more of a behind the scenes and talks a lot about road travels, etc....  It also gets very personal about his insecurities, etc...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
Flair's book is a good read too.
flair's book and superstar billy graham's also.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »
WTF  :o

Yeah.
Anytime a new and/or young guy came into the territory, one person was assigned to go to the local McDonalds & get a bunch of packets of honey to bring to the venue.
The guys would open the packs and lace their hands with it.

Then, right before the rookie went out for his big match with Ted (the bear), the guys would all pat him on his ass - similar to the way football players do.

Well, as soon as the bear smelled the honey, he went for it.
He’d often pin the guy to the mat, trapping him.
The poor guy usually panicked and screamed bloody murder, thinking he was about to be mauled as the bear just continued harmlessly licking his ass.

The fans found it hilarious.
It was a perfect rib!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 04:37:31 AM »

Yeah.
Anytime a new and/or young guy came into the territory, one person was assigned to go to the local McDonalds & get a bunch of packets of honey to bring to the venue.
The guys would open the packs and lace their hands with it.

Then, right before the rookie went out for his big match with Ted (the bear), the guys would all pat him on his ass - similar to the way football players do.

Well, as soon as the bear smelled the honey, he went for it.
He’d often pin the guy to the mat, trapping him.
The poor guy usually panicked and screamed bloody murder, thinking he was about to be mauled as the bear just continued harmlessly licking his ass.

The fans found it hilarious.
It was a perfect rib!
That's insane! Can you imagine if that bear went a-wall and just started tearing the guy apart? I wonder if any accidents happened as a result.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
That's insane! Can you imagine if that bear went a-wall and just started tearing the guy apart? I wonder if any accidents happened as a result.

No, not that’s been documented, anyway.
They usually had the bear’s handler/trainer on hand along with plenty of tranquilizers just in case.

As it should be, too.
Animals are unpredictable; look at the queers in Las Vegas.
The tiger they’d had & raised since birth went for the jugular!

Animals are meant to harvest.
They are meant to be made into food and nice jackets.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »

They usually had the bear’s handler/trainer on hand along with plenty of tranquilizers just in case.

As it should be, too.

Lol...I hear you! Thats like that kid in Indonesia with the pet 27ft Burmese python. Kid had it his whole life, partents said and did nothing....didn't care. Snake grows....kid goes missing.....large lump found in sleeping snake.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »
Lol...I hear you! Thats like that kid in Indonesia with the pet 27ft Burmese python. Kid had it his whole life, partents said and did nothing....didn't care. Snake grows....kid goes missing.....large lump found in sleeping snake.

Yeah, but animals are "people," too.

FUCK YOU, PETA!!!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

As it should be, too.

tranquilizers?!?! I'd have a godamn M60 pointed at that thing at all times.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »
Bear meat is very greasy & fatty, but can be quite tasty when prepared right.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »
Bear meat is very greasy & fatty, but can be quite tasty when prepared right.

i grew up around bear hunting and eating......you are right, the key is to cook it and pour the fat off several times.  Makes a really good stew.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »
I've found that most people who dislike wild game meats do so because they've never experienced it in a good recipe.
Deer & turkey are among my favorites, but both really suck if you don't prepare them properly.

Still, with some people, it's psychological.

My Mum prepares all kinds of dishes with wild game for my Dad, my Uncles, and me, but she won't touch it herself at the dinner table.
She claims she doesn't like it, but she's eaten it by accident on a few occasions - usually in things like rigatoni or chilli - and she'll go on & on about how damn good it is until somebody tells her what she's eating.
Not another bite after that.
 :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2010, 05:11:31 PM »
I've found that most people who dislike wild game meats do so because they've never experienced it in a good recipe.
Deer & turkey are among my favorites, but both really suck if you don't prepare them properly.

Still, with some people, it's psychological.

My Mum prepares all kinds of dishes with wild game for my Dad, my Uncles, and me, but she won't touch it herself at the dinner table.
She claims she doesn't like it, but she's eaten it by accident on a few occasions - usually in things like rigatoni or chilli - and she'll go on & on about how damn good it is until somebody tells her what she's eating.
Not another bite after that.
 :)

It's always funny when that happens.....haha.....my mom did that to my brothers wife, I think it was deer and she raved about how good it was.  She still thinks it was a beef cut... ;D 
I grew up with my mom c oking all types of game....I've had squirrel gravy, groundhog (which sucked) and rabbit on a regular basis.....yes I was/am a hillbilly !  8)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »
It's always funny when that happens.....haha.....my mom did that to my brothers wife, I think it was deer and she raved about how good it was.  She still thinks it was a beef cut... ;D 
I grew up with my mom c oking all types of game....I've had squirrel gravy, groundhog (which sucked) and rabbit on a regular basis.....yes I was/am a hillbilly !  8)
You F*****N guys are makingmy hungry now.  :(

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
You F*****N guys are makingmy hungry now.  :(

Hunting season just began... good timing!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 12:43:17 PM »
Hunting season just began... good timing!

I got a craving for deer.  :)

My uncles are going up north to kill a couple. They are serious hunters.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
Do they do their own butchering?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
Do they do their own butchering?
They split it up between four of them and gut it on the spot. Then my aunt makes a stew out of it and it is amazing with fresh bread.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »
One of my fav ways to fix venison was lightly breaded and cut into smaller nuggets.  It was delicious.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2011, 05:15:05 AM »

True about Race....but i think thats because they were scared shitless of Harley, not necessarily that they don't respect Flair.

Someone should come out with a book that is nothing but the road stories.  That would be an awesome read !!!!

Supposedly Dutch Mantel has a book or 2 that is an interesting read.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »

I'll keep an eye out for those.  Thanks.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »

Hey, I hope you don't mind...
I moved your post to the books thread, which I just stickied, to give it a good bump.

I try to cycle different threads up top to catch the eyes of our regular posters and the casual passers-by.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »
i read several, and i liked bret harts book the best,couple stories in there about his dad and reg park.

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 11:57:34 PM »
Some of them are available (with some pages missing) on google books. No surprise  Mick Foleys aren't.

I went looking for wrestling books a while back here in Oz but they are insanely expensive here. Not paying $45 for a paperback book.

I've read "If They Only Knew" by Chyna. Found it a good read although it foreshadows the weirdness with XPac with the benefit of hindsight. It was cool how protective the other wrestlers were towards her and highlighted the grunginess backstage compared to the glamour once they hit the lights. She portrays that desperation some wrestlers showed when they sat and waited for the story lines to remember them and how depressed they were when they weren't. She is rather mean about Killer Kowalski who's wrestling school she attended. Paints him as a stingy character all about the money, who wouldn't spring for heating in winter with a backyard ring that was hard as anything. I really connected with her description of how spiteful they other students were towards her when they sparred. I've done some martial arts, and as the only female was hurt a few times by wannabes trying to be Bruce Lee. I remember the spite they had towards women. I don't think wrestling is kind to women unless someone with clout is shagging them. We all saw Chyna's status once her fiance moved on to the bosses daughter. That said, I don't think Stephanie has too much fun either, hence the meaner than usual backstage vibe during her tenure.

Chyna describes her matches and what they meant to her which gave me a different view of them. I found that really cool and also noted not a lot was said about her surgery beyond the breast implants and the experience of one rupturing in a match which made my eyes water. It hurts like anything to get a natural boob hit, so I can only imagine how it would feel to have a foreign body under sensitive skin whacked. :-X

The book highlighted what creepy nut bars her parents were. I don't think anyone could have come through her Mum and then her Dads tender care and be remotely normal. She describes having broken something and her brother taking the blame on her behalf and her Mum's over the top reaction. Tragic stuff that seemed to ring true, well as true as anything you didn't see yourself can be. Her Dad used her identity to get thousands of dollars in student loans she was then stuck with. Let alone the medical insurance bills he volunteered his ex wife for without her knowledge. It painted a sad and frightening picture for a child to live through.

The book ends on a high note with her freshly broken up with Nostrildamus but optimistic about her future. I was left with a sad feeling as I knew she hit the skids and went on to fall into many of the traps folks leaving the spotlight who can't do anything else fall into.

I found it a realistic portrayal of the path one woman faced in the wrestling business in that era of wrestling. I admire her taking the BB look and bringing it to the masses. When she wrestled I believed a woman can be strong and participate, not carry the heavy weight title the way she thought she could. I wanted more dirt on Sable who has a mean reputation among the women but the book was written during her time in the WWE. She was condescending about the other women though and felt in a different league altogether. As a fan I believe she was.

She should have looked at how the WWE treated Nicole Bass and I hope she gets herself together, even now.

I found the book in a bargain bin for $3AU.

;D
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy