Author Topic: Good Wrestling Books (threads merged):  (Read 28225 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Good Wrestling Books (threads merged):
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
I did.  I enjoyed it a good deal but you could see at times where he was coming across as whining and still being butt hurt over things.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2012, 04:48:18 AM »
It was a good book, I enjoyed it.. But ya, he takes himself way too seriously. Needs to get over some things..

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2012, 05:53:28 AM »
Haven't read it yet but what "superstar" doesn't take himself serious. Look at Hot Rod......man cannot come out of character...

Max

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
Yeah!
Here are links to some good discussions we had on it a while back: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=404872.msg5777540#msg5777540 & http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=261091.msg5919539#msg5919539

What do you think of it?
I found it very interesting. Im not totally sure he isnt a sociopath. Seemed to have such extreme morals when it came to certian things like portraying his charachter right yet cheated on his wife and wrote about it the same way he talked about driving a car or going to the shops.

He really didnt seem to like Shawn.

Davey and Dynamite didnt fare too well either. I found it an interesting read but it did seem very subjective at times.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
Haven't read it yet but what "superstar" doesn't take himself serious. Look at Hot Rod......man cannot come out of character...

That, to me, was the most disappointing aspect of his autobiography.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
I found it very interesting. Im not totally sure he isnt a sociopath. Seemed to have such extreme morals when it came to certian things like portraying his charachter right yet cheated on his wife and wrote about it the same way he talked about driving a car or going to the shops.

He really didnt seem to like Shawn.

Davey and Dynamite didnt fare too well either. I found it an interesting read but it did seem very subjective at times.

Every story told is biased to some degree.
But Bret, at times, comes off somewhat delusional; don't you think?

Max

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »

Every story told is biased to some degree.
But Bret, at times, comes off somewhat delusional; don't you think?
Imnot sureif its delusional.Having never met the guy It's hard to say. He does seem to put himself acrossaswhiter tha white and its everyone else thats wrong.
It would be interesting to read Dianas book and also Dynamites.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »
Imnot sureif its delusional.Having never met the guy It's hard to say. He does seem to put himself acrossaswhiter tha white and its everyone else thats wrong.
It would be interesting to read Dianas book and also Dynamites.

Dyno's was a fun read. It was my first wrestler autobiography, and is still my favorite.

Don't waste your time on Dana's books. She truly IS delusional and has zero credibility.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »
iread his and jesses both were real good reads.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »

That, to me, was the most disappointing aspect of his autobiography.

Did you ever read Linda Hogan's book and if so, what were your impressions?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
Did you ever read Linda Hogan's book and if so, what were your impressions?

I have not; nor do I plan to.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »

I have not; nor do I plan to.

That's what I figured. :)

But it did somehow get an average rating of 3.5 out of 5 on amazon. I thought by some miracle maybe there was some interesting non slandering tidbits here and there but yeah more than likely it's just an out and out rip job.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »
That's what I figured. :)

But it did somehow get an average rating of 3.5 out of 5 on amazon. I thought by some miracle maybe there was some interesting non slandering tidbits here and there but yeah more than likely it's just an out and out rip job.

I won't knock it, because it may be a good book for all I know. However, based on what I know of the Hart's - and especially Diana - I have doubts.

When looking for a wrestling school back around 2002, I exchanged some correspondence with Bruce Hart via Stampede Wrestling. Those emails were amazing. There was so much about this guy (and other siblings who were operating the school & promotion) that rubbed me the wrong way. And, this was before the era of shoot interviews and tell-all autobiographies became big.
I formed my opinions of them independently. Years later, I found out just how screwed up they really are.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »

I won't knock it, because it may be a good book for all I know. However, based on what I know of the Hart's - and especially Diana - I have doubts.

When looking for a wrestling school back around 2002, I exchanged some correspondence with Bruce Hart via Stampede Wrestling. Those emails were amazing. There was so much about this guy (and other siblings who were operating the school & promotion) that rubbed me the wrong way. And, this was before the era of shoot interviews and tell-all autobiographies became big.
I formed my opinions of them independently. Years later, I found out just how screwed up they really are.

Stu could've tied you in knots and made you say uncle all day.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »
Stu could've tied you in knots and made you say uncle all day.

Ha-ha-ha... at the time, I'm sure that the mark in me would have given my left nut and part of the right for the chance to be stretched by the legendary Stu Hart in the infamous "Dungeon." I was such a mark for the old-time shooters.

The problem is that, by that point, Stu had handed over most of the business and operations to Bruce and one of his other boys. I thought I was being unfair and unreasonable judging Bruce so harshly based on my limited interaction with him. Years later, I felt MORE than justified...and accurate.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »
My photography has been featured in several books. I normally don't shoot wrestling but went a few times since we are friends with Johnny Ace.  We usually get front row or second and I bring in either a 70-200mm or a 300mm prime.  To be honest....its a good time. I still prefer the old days of Georgia. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »
I still prefer the old days of Georgia. 

So do most people who watched it; I dare say everyone.