Author Topic: how did good guys become bad guys and vice versa?  (Read 6002 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
how did good guys become bad guys and vice versa?
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »
when i was a fan in the 80's, hulk hogan was the most popular wrestler

he told fans to train, say their prayers, and take their vitamins

then in the 90's the bad guys became the good guys, the nwo were basically a gang that cheated to win and the fans loved it

stone cold steve austin gave the finger to authority, the rock was the epitomy of arrogance

the fans loved it

how did the bad guys become the ones people cheered?

E
E

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: how did good guys become bad guys and vice versa?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:50:39 PM »
I think part of it was the whole "attitude" of the 90's. People could relate to Austin hating his boss and lived vicariously through him. I think with the internet played a role as well.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »
true,i don't follow wrestling today,but the times your talking about are gone,fans today need full story lines and need to or seem to know with internet when wrestlers flip to good or bad side.back n the day it would be series of managers talking down to his wrestler negative over weeks or slapping a wrestler during big match then crowd would side with wrestler or tag team partner flipped during match then bboed voila bad guy,old days were golden.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
I think part of it was the whole "attitude" of the 90's. People could relate to Austin hating his boss and lived vicariously through him. I think with the internet played a role as well.

most people could relate

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »
is it that people don't want to be good?

they say women love the bad boy, men do too?

E
E

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »

then in the 90's the bad guys became the good guys, the nwo were basically a gang that cheated to win and the fans loved it

stone cold steve austin gave the finger to authority, the rock was the epitomy of arrogance

the fans loved it

E

I think there are several factors. For one, look at how music changed from the 80's to the 90's. You go from happy pop and gay-rock (hair bands) to hip hop and grunge/metal. The lyrics got darker, so did the mentality. It became cool to tell the "authority" to fuck off. The "rebel" mentality was welcomed.

However, you've got to give credit to guys like Austin and Rock. They (especially Dwayne) had lots of charisma, which shone through. It's hard not to like guys that are entertaining, whether they play heels or faces.
HAHA, RON.....

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
is it that people don't want to be good?

they say women love the bad boy, men do too?

E
A huge part of wrestling IMO was/is the suspension of belief. You watch it to lose yourself in the action, so yeah i agree with that. Also i think people were tired of kayfabe in some respects, so it was refreshing and new to see a slightly more "real" product.

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
A huge part of wrestling IMO was/is the suspension of belief. You watch it to lose yourself in the action, so yeah i agree with that. Also i think people were tired of kayfabe in some respects, so it was refreshing and new to see a slightly more "real" product.

Right. Part of that was, the "kids" that had watched during the 80's, were now in their 20's, and didn't care for childish story lines. Drinking beer, and smoking, banging chicks, et cetra was more appealing.
HAHA, RON.....

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »

the fans loved it

E

Sometimes It's just time in a wrestlers career to switch also.  
my dad was on a plane to Australia had been a huge heel his whole career and Jim Barnett told him hey when we get Australia we are turning you babyface.  He was shocked.He said it would never work, but it did . He turned out to be a huge face.  When he got there he did a interview about how his mom had died and asked him to change his ways on her death bed.  It brought some fans to tears and they bought it.   They sent the footage back here to the states and he was a huge face here as well. Thats when he was tag partners with a very young Jimmy Garvin.  Finally he turned on Garvin and was heel again and all the fans would say what about your mother. Ha ha . Thats the way it goes.

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:02:39 PM »

Sometimes It's just time in a wrestlers career to switch also.  
my dad was on a plane to Australia had been a huge heel his whole career and Jim Barnett told him hey when we get Australia we are turning you babyface.  He was shocked.He said it would never work, but it did . He turned out to be a huge face.  When he got there he did a interview about how his mom had died and asked him to change his ways on her death bed.  It brought some fans to tears and they bought it.   They sent the footage back here to the states and he was a huge face here as well. Thats when he was tag partners with a very young Jimmy Garvin.  Finally he turned on Garvin and was heel again and all the fans would say what about your mother. Ha ha . Thats the way it goes.

That's fucking great! Only is wrestling, baby!
HAHA, RON.....

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
That's fucking great! Only is wrestling, baby!

ha ha I know. Little did the fans know my dads mom died when he was 14 LOL