Author Topic: Any Sumo Wrestling fans here?  (Read 7655 times)

fredrollon

• Getbig III
Any Sumo Wrestling fans here?
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:51:31 AM »
I know,I know....  ;D but the present tournament is very nicely poised with the Mongolian Grand Champions Asashoryu and Hakuho battling for top spot.

I believe ,on this board,onlyme is an acquaintance of the great Hawaiian born Grand Champion Akebono...

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Any Sumo Wrestling fans here?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:00:17 AM »
The guys on here only consider it wrestling if they're oiled up and a limp bizkit song is playing in the background/

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 AM »
The guys on here only consider it wrestling if they're oiled up and a limp bizkit song is playing in the background/

Well they do wear giant thongs.........SO FUCK YEAH!!
No doubt about it...

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:21:44 AM »
Well they do wear giant thongs.........SO FUCK YEAH!!

Yes.They've got those as well......   ;D

The 'thongs' are called mawashi.

I'd love to know getbig's unique perspective on this sacred sport and tradition.  :)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 07:22:23 AM »
I know,I know....  ;D but the present tournament is very nicely poised with the Mongolian Grand Champions Asashoryu and Hakuho battling for top spot.

I believe ,on this board,onlyme is an acquaintance of the great Hawaiian born Grand Champion Akebono...

It is very interesting to watch in person.  The ceremony and procedure of just setting up the ring area is amazing.  It takes tons of dirt and clay to make the ring.  Those guys are huge in person.  I remember when they first came to Hawaii to put on a real event the big man stores in Honolulu started to carry size 10XL shirts.  I bought a couple to work out in.  I was wear 3XL back then and these huge shirts hung below my knees.  They were great to train in.  Chad (Akebono) was a god in Japan.  i got to be friends with him and Jesse Kahalua(?) who was one of the first American Sumo champions I think.  He had a very raspy voice.  The funny thing about Chad was whenever he introduced me to his friends he got all excited.  That picture was taken at the Governors office.  We were requested to meet him.  So before he came in I decided to sit at his desk.  All the media people loved it.  This was before Chad got way to big and was still very healthy

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:55 AM »

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
It is very interesting to watch in person.  The ceremony and procedure of just setting up the ring area is amazing.  It takes tons of dirt and clay to make the ring.  Those guys are huge in person.  I remember when they first came to Hawaii to put on a real event the big man stores in Honolulu started to carry size 10XL shirts.  I bought a couple to work out in.  I was wear 3XL back then and these huge shirts hung below my knees.  They were great to train in.  Chad (Akebono) was a god in Japan.  i got to be friends with him and Jesse Kahalua(?) who was one of the first American Sumo champions I think.  He had a very raspy voice.  The funny thing about Chad was whenever he introduced me to his friends he got all excited.  That picture was taken at the Governors office.  We were requested to meet him.  So before he came in I decided to sit at his desk.  All the media people loved it.  This was before Chad got way to big and was still very healthy

wow onlyme is respected and known everywhere, quite an accomplishment. whats your secret

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
Big fan of Asashoryu myself.
As empty as paradise

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »
Let's get Ron to gives a Sumo wrestling board!
HAHA, RON.....

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 01:23:13 PM »
Let's get Ron to gives a Sumo wrestling board!
;D

spinnis

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 01:23:18 PM »
Mushishamaru or wtf his name wa I liked.

He retired a loong time ago I think

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »
Is that a "sport"?  ::)

fat turds "touching" each other in full contact while wearing giant thongs.

and yes, some people claim bb is not a sport.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »

Those guys are fast, strong and use tons of leverage to move their opponents. True athletes!

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 07:30:04 PM »
It is very interesting to watch in person.  The ceremony and procedure of just setting up the ring area is amazing.  It takes tons of dirt and clay to make the ring.  Those guys are huge in person.  I remember when they first came to Hawaii to put on a real event the big man stores in Honolulu started to carry size 10XL shirts.  I bought a couple to work out in.  I was wear 3XL back then and these huge shirts hung below my knees.  They were great to train in.  Chad (Akebono) was a god in Japan.  i got to be friends with him and Jesse Kahalua(?)

Chad with Jesse

Cool stories ,onlyme.Were you involved in the organization of the June 1993 sumo tour?
Hawaii had so many great sumo wrestlers...Konishiki,Akebono,Musashmimaru...
No longer anymore.... :'(

This was before Chad got way to big and was still very healthy

Yeah. Chad grew too fat and suffered knee injuries,which curtailed his career.The man was really something in his prime though.

Big fan of Asashoryu myself.

Big Fan of Kootoshu!!!

L00n,your Bulgarian boy Kotooshu was fighting Hedgehog's man Asashoryu earlier today.  ;D

Mushishamaru or wtf his name wa I liked.

Huge man of mixed Tongan-Samoan ancestry.
He got married recently....

To a hula-hoop instructor...

:P

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 07:39:21 PM »

Chad with Jesse

Cool stories ,onlyme.Were you involved in the organization of the June 1993 sumo tour?
Hawaii had so many great sumo wrestlers...Konishiki,Akebono,Musashmimaru...
No longer anymore.... :'(

Yeah. Chad grew too fat and suffered knee injuries,which curtailed his career.The man was really something in his prime though.

No but that was when that pic was taken.  he guy who started the No Hope In Dope campaign got me some kind of VIP pass so I got to go in and watch them setup the ring and go backstage and stuff.  He was trying to get me to do an exhibition with them that night and I said no way.  But, we all went to the Governors office.  After the event we went to Chad's house (parents) in Waimanalo and had some great food.  I can't remember the pro baseball players name from Hawaii.  He was a left handed pitcher and was really good.  Anyway he was there too.  I had a picture of a bunch of us at his house. Sid Fernandez was the ball players name.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »
their referees are funny

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »

Spoken like a true non-athlete.  Stick to the books

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
A

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »
Of course it's a sport. It requires athleticism to do it. Only an idiot would think otherwise.... ::)
HAHA, RON.....

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 12:58:04 AM »
after judo class back in the late 90,s in new jersey my judo instructor(a japanese gentleman named yanizuka,we just called him yanni for short)held sumo practice,he had us take off our gi,s,then take our belts and make a circle about 20 ft by 20 ft.i remember they put me in the circle with emanual yarbrough,hes a 700lb sumo guy from rahway new jersey,i charged at him and he threw me with one arm out of the circle and i hit my head on a bench 25ft of the matoff the mat.to be honest i never realized how much technique it took to do sumo,i always thought it was just 2 big fat guys smacking bellies ramming into eachother,lol.but as i started staying for the classes i realized how great your balance and explosive power has to be,i never really got any good at it though,lol

R

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 01:00:26 AM »
after judo class back in the late 90,s in new jersey my judo instructor(a japanese gentleman named yanizuka,we just called him yanni for short)held sumo practice,he had us take off our gi,s,then take our belts and make a circle about 20 ft by 20 ft.i remember they put me in the circle with emanual yarbrough,hes a 700lb sumo guy from rahway new jersey,i charged at him and he threw me with one arm out of the circle and i hit my head on a bench 25ft of the matoff the mat.to be honest i never realized how much technique it took to do sumo,i always thought it was just 2 big fat guys smacking bellies ramming into eachother,lol.but as i started staying for the classes i realized how great your balance and explosive power has to be,i never really got any good at it though,lol

Well said.
HAHA, RON.....

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 08:36:05 AM »
Those guys are fucking rich and very respected!!
They are like rock stars over in Japan, female groupies and everything!  8)
There was a special on it a few months ago on some cable station. The training is brutal

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 09:55:34 AM »

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 11:48:46 AM »
"sacred sport" hahahaha couple of fat tubs dry humping each other....hahaah

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 03:49:37 PM »
"sacred sport" hahahaha couple of fat tubs dry humping each other....hahaah

But they are getting paid for someone you do for free. So there