Author Topic: Question for Bob Chick  (Read 458 times)

Remo Williams

• Getbig II
  • The Eleventh Commandment
Question for Bob Chick
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »
2 years ago in December I had my apendix removed (not keyhole).

6 weeks after the surgery I was cleared to go back to work (quite a physical job) and the gym.
When I did return to the gym, for about 6 weeks I lifted really really light.. I stuck to machines and didn't strain myself or do compound movements.. I didn't break a sweat at all for that 6 weeks.
Normally I deadlift 405 for reps, and front squat well over 3 plates.. so lifting 15lb dumbells was frustrating.

12 weeks after the surgery I resumed normal training. however for the first month or two I kept everything about 6 reps and above.

For the past 2 years there's been no pain, no strain what so ever.

One month (exactly 2 years after the apendix removal) I woke up in agony, and was taken to hospital where after 4 hours and shitloads of tests the doctors concluded I had suffered from an internal hernia in the area where my apendix was removed.

As most will know, the apendix is an organ about the size of your little finger that is attached to the top of your intestines.
Anyway, apparently when it was removed it didn't heal right inside and formed an 'adhesion' and the internal scar tissue healed to something else it shouldnt have and over 2 years my guts slowly twisted around until a bowel obstruction formed.

This is a rare case that can just happen.. and wasn't caused at all by the gym or work.

Yet again, after 6 weeks of doing nothing but playing video games and sleeping all day, the doctor has cleared me to go back to work and the gym.

I'm following the same recovery and gym work as I did the last time.

My question to Bob is, do you know any pro's that have undergone this surgery, and if so have they encountered any problems.. and what was their recovery and gym work like after the surgery.
I know Dennis James, Melvin Anthony, and George Farah have undergone abdominal surgery.

Thanks for the response(s)

spinnis

Re: Question for Bob Chick
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
thx for the sexy image at least.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:41:06 PM »
Maybe this would have been better served as a PM.

Miss Karen

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »
Bob knows your REAL Question is How does any IFBB Pro use so much Illegal Drugs and get away with it????

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
2 years ago in December I had my apendix removed (not keyhole).

6 weeks after the surgery I was cleared to go back to work (quite a physical job) and the gym.
When I did return to the gym, for about 6 weeks I lifted really really light.. I stuck to machines and didn't strain myself or do compound movements.. I didn't break a sweat at all for that 6 weeks.
Normally I deadlift 405 for reps, and front squat well over 3 plates.. so lifting 15lb dumbells was frustrating.

12 weeks after the surgery I resumed normal training. however for the first month or two I kept everything about 6 reps and above.

For the past 2 years there's been no pain, no strain what so ever.

One month (exactly 2 years after the apendix removal) I woke up in agony, and was taken to hospital where after 4 hours and shitloads of tests the doctors concluded I had suffered from an internal hernia in the area where my apendix was removed.

As most will know, the apendix is an organ about the size of your little finger that is attached to the top of your intestines.
Anyway, apparently when it was removed it didn't heal right inside and formed an 'adhesion' and the internal scar tissue healed to something else it shouldnt have and over 2 years my guts slowly twisted around until a bowel obstruction formed.

This is a rare case that can just happen.. and wasn't caused at all by the gym or work.

Yet again, after 6 weeks of doing nothing but playing video games and sleeping all day, the doctor has cleared me to go back to work and the gym.

I'm following the same recovery and gym work as I did the last time.

My question to Bob is, do you know any pro's that have undergone this surgery, and if so have they encountered any problems.. and what was their recovery and gym work like after the surgery.
I know Dennis James, Melvin Anthony, and George Farah have undergone abdominal surgery.

Thanks for the response(s)

No, I dont