Author Topic: Obama reverses abortion-funding policy  (Read 2574 times)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: Obama reverses abortion-funding policy
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »
It was a done deal. Long before Obama came into power. Although I wish he would have spit on it. Warren makes tons o money today, as of yesterday, in Africa. Nobody even knows how much money he makes from africa.  ::)

It's not about clinics. Or giving people condoms. Or being a good shepard. It's abput money.

We give money and that's just it.  Don't worry about the giving of money, just think about how it's spent.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
It's not simple at all.  Millions of people believe abortion is murder.  The president cannot simply sign an EO and make the issue go away.  There are too many people who are either pro life or have problems with abortion on demand.  These people, whether their beliefs are religious based or not, are all part of "society."     

I read the other day that the Freedom of Choice Act may not get out of the House, because it is not supported by a majority of Democrats.  Even liberals in Congress aren't unified on this issue.   

people who believe abortion is murder are free to choose to abstain

The EO he signed was about lifting the restriction on speech

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »

It was about helping finance abortions overseas. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

I think you are arguing the free speech issue, whereas some of us are arguing the taxpayer dollar funded abortions as part of the stimulus program.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
It was about helping finance abortions overseas. 

what EO are you talking about?  Is it the one the Bush1, Clinton and Bush II are reversed each other on.

If so, that's pretty much only about free speech.  Any NGO that wanted to keep their funding had to restrict their speech and could not discuss or give advise on abortion.   As you would expect, most restricted their speech in order to keep receiving funds.

Maybe we're talking about 2 different EO's

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »
what EO are you talking about?  Is it the one the Bush1, Clinton and Bush II are reversed each other on.

If so, that's pretty much only about free speech.  Any NGO that wanted to keep their funding had to restrict their speech and could not discuss or give advise on abortion.   As you would expect, most restricted their speech in order to keep receiving funds.

Maybe we're talking about 2 different EO's

We are talking about Pelosi and Stimulus program Obama is asking the congress to support.    This contained taxpayer FUNDED abortions and contraception as part of the stimulus program.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »
I think you are arguing the free speech issue, whereas some of us are arguing the taxpayer dollar funded abortions as part of the stimulus program.

The EO that Obama signed is different from teh  the 200 million which was part of the stimulus plan (which Obama took out over the objection of Pelosi) which was a provision to provide contraceptives to low income families.  At least that's my understanding of that part of it (the part that was in the stimulus package).   Does anyone here really have a problem with low income families getting free contraceptin (which they can choose not to use)?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »
Yes, I have a problem with it.  This is just more wasteful spending by the government that wont work and never does work. 

What will work is . . . .  putting these people to work as a condition of welfare in the first place. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
Yes, I have a problem with it.  This is just more wasteful spending by the government that wont work and never does work. 

What will work is . . . .  putting these people to work as a condition of welfare in the first place. 

that's fine too.

It would be easier for them to work if they didn't have to take care of small children

Frankly, I'm still amazed anyone can make it to adulthood and not understand the need for contraception for health and birth control on a personal level.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »
that's fine too.

It would be easier for them to work if they didn't have to take care of small children

Frankly, I'm still amazed anyone can make it to adulthood and not understand the need for contraception for health and birth control on a personal level.

Look, there are plenty of things these people can do, the rest is just more irresponsible excuses by lazy and slothful people that need to be put to work. 

Im not saying its easy, but welfare and social assistance is waste of money if it encourages and assists in irresponsible behavior. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »
Look, there are plenty of things these people can do, the rest is just more irresponsible excuses by lazy and slothful people that need to be put to work. 

Im not saying its easy, but welfare and social assistance is waste of money if it encourages and assists in irresponsible behavior. 

I think we're in agreement somewhere

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 01:34:53 PM »
I think we're in agreement somewhere

My biggest issue is not with the idea of contraception, but the failure to tell people on social assistance to get off their lazy asses and to make something happen.

Bill Cosby was lambasted for telling the truth, and I dont hear anyone speaking the truth like he did, black or white.