Author Topic: Type of potassium to use with diuretics  (Read 1541 times)

bigguns175

• Getbig II
Type of potassium to use with diuretics
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:59:14 AM »
I just thought I would ask if any of you know or believe that one type of potassium is better than the other to prevents cramps during comp while using diuretics. 

Last time I just used potassium gluconate, but I saw of course theres a wide variety of types and substituents such as potassium iodide, potassium chloride, potassium and magnesium, potassium citrate.  Also they have liquid potassium, is that quicker absorbing?  Can anyone vouch for the effectiveness of one of these over the other.

Thanks

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: Type of potassium to use with diuretics
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:44:55 AM »
Just plain potassium will work fine. Or you could opt for a potassium sparing diuretic

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »
I just thought I would ask if any of you know or believe that one type of potassium is better than the other to prevents cramps during comp while using diuretics. 

Last time I just used potassium gluconate, but I saw of course theres a wide variety of types and substituents such as potassium iodide, potassium chloride, potassium and magnesium, potassium citrate.  Also they have liquid potassium, is that quicker absorbing?  Can anyone vouch for the effectiveness of one of these over the other.

Thanks

Any is fine, however, AJ is right, use a potassium sparing diuretic if possible.

I would also start loading the potassium early in the week before the comp.

There is also a cramping product out there too I saw on musclemayhem.com I believe. Sorry, cant remember the name of it and worked well for my last show.  :-\

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
Any is fine, however, AJ is right, use a potassium sparing diuretic if possible.

I would also start loading the potassium early in the week before the comp.

There is also a cramping product out there too I saw on musclemayhem.com I believe. Sorry, cant remember the name of it and worked well for my last show.  :-\

Just out of curiosity, how do you propose "loading" potassium? The GI tract pretty much only absorbs what is needed, so taking excess early won't do any good, you won't absorb it.  Thats why oral potassium administration works with dehydrated animals and you don't have to worry about  killing them.  And if you are taking it IV, you are really playing with fire because IV potassium can and will result in a fatal heart arrhythmia if you overdose it.    IV Potassium is a means of euthanasia for that reason. 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
Quinine or even tonic water is supposed to be great for cramping. Anyone use either of these?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »
Quinine or even tonic water is supposed to be great for cramping. Anyone use either of these?

I have...it didn't seem to help too much.

I was having some major cramping issues a little over a year ago. It would always start with my arms and in a few minutes it would spread to my legs, back, and even abs. So pretty much whole body cramps...the abs were unbearable.

Basically what had happened is that my electrolytes in my body had gotten completely out of whack...took about a month for the problem to clear up. Talk about a pile of suck.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »

Thanks

As baby Arnolds said, go with the potassium sparing diuretic.

Dyazide works well.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:50:16 PM »
I have...it didn't seem to help too much.

I was having some major cramping issues a little over a year ago. It would always start with my arms and in a few minutes it would spread to my legs, back, and even abs. So pretty much whole body cramps...the abs were unbearable.

Basically what had happened is that my electrolytes in my body had gotten completely out of whack...took about a month for the problem to clear up. Talk about a pile of suck.

What kind of diuretic schedule lead to this?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
What kind of diuretic schedule lead to this?

None, I was simply getting horrible cramps.