Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 757022 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Industry News & Notes:
« Reply #1600 on: January 12, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »
…WWE wants to stick with only having WrestleMania at stadiums from here on out. Madison Square Garden is expected to continue to get big pay-per-views like it did with Survivor Series this past year.

Wow, that's pretty ambitious!
I wonder if Vince has some "big" plans and expectations on his business improving, as stadiums are pretty big shoes to fill, and it’s almost a paradigm that Mania SELLS OUT; even though the Fed has fallen short a couple of times.

MSG was always a safe bet for a successful house because it’s ALWAYS been extremely easy to sell out.
Also, that’s quite a tradition to break since all past landmark WM’s have been held there.
This may turn out to be a little pretentious on WWE’ part, but anything can happen.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #1601 on: January 13, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »
wrestlezone:

After speaking with sources, WZ can confirm that WrestleMania 29 is going to take place at MetLife Stadium, home of the New York Giants and Jets football teams.
This will be the first time this venue has held a professional wrestling event. WrestleMania 29 will also beat the NFL to the punch of having a major event there because WrestleMania 29 will take place in late March or early April of 2013 and the NFL is going to hold the Super Bowl there in February of 2014.
This is reportedly a huge success for Vince McMahon as he is wanting to hold the first big event at MetLife stadium and set an attendance record before the Super Bowl takes place there. Sources said McMahon had a big smile on his face for getting WrestleMania 29 at MetLife Stadium.
WrestleMania 29 taking place at MetLife Stadium will also give the New York market a WrestleMania which has some significance because WrestleMania 30 is not going to be held in New York's Madison Sqaure Garden as tradition would have it. WrestleMania 30 is going to take place at the Dallas Cowboys stadium located in Arlington, Texas.
WrestleMania 30 will not be at MSG because WWE wants to stick with only having WrestleMania at stadiums from here on out. Madison Square Garden is expected to continue to get big pay-per-views like it did with Survivor Series this past year.

Good luck sitting there at that time of year and freezing your ass off to watch on a big screen TV, geeez, what has happened to the business. Give me Koloff - Buno in a steel cage match or chain match please lol

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1602 on: January 16, 2012, 03:29:35 AM »
Here's a pic of Stacy Keibler with current beau George Clooney from last night's Golden Globe "ceremony."
I normally detest Hollywood and most of what goes with it, but since it's sort of wrestling-related:

side bar: I'm surprised she still hasn't bought tits.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1603 on: January 16, 2012, 03:37:54 AM »
Current TNA Wrestling star Ric Flair recently informed The Charleston Post and Courier that WWE Superstar Triple H phoned him this past Monday to inform him that "The Four Horsemen" would be inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame this year.

Flair also notes in the article how he watched the Hall Of Fame video package backstage at the TNA Impact Wrestling television tapings.

"It's amazing," Flair stated. "It's very cool. The whole TNA crew was watching the vignette. I started crying when they aired it."

credit: http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/248059-ric-flair-speaks-on-watching-wwe-hof-video-at-tna-tapings

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________

I presume they're inducting the ORIGINAL incarnation of the 4H, especially because, to induct the other "thirty-two" guys who've been in it, they'd have to acknowledge Benoit, which will forever be taboo.
Apparently, though, Ole's inclusion is still up in the air with a better chance of neigh.
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=408921.msg5866318#msg5866318

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1604 on: January 16, 2012, 05:33:57 PM »
In Miami for the last month. I have seen Vladimir Kozlov a few times in the gym I train at. Also did a party and Torrie Wilson was there. Didn't speak to either. Kozlov knew what was up though because the first day he saw me I was wearing my 3:16 shirt.

Ha, ha...
You should have gone up to Torrie and, with every ounce of sincerity you could muster, ask her if she could get you the Bella Twins' autographs!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1605 on: January 17, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »

STAMFORD, Conn., January 17, 2012 – In accordance with its Talent Wellness Program, WWE (NYSE:WWE) has suspended Matthew Korklan (Evan Bourne®) for 60 days effective Tuesday, January 17 for his second violation of the company’s policy.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1606 on: January 17, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
STAMFORD, Conn., January 17, 2012 – In accordance with its Talent Wellness Program, WWE (NYSE:WWE) has suspended Matthew Korklan (Evan Bourne®) for 60 days effective Tuesday, January 17 for his second violation of the company’s policy.

F'n idiot.
Do they tell you anywhere the specifics of the violation, i.e. substance(s)?

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #1607 on: January 17, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »

What a dick.  Smallest guy on the roster, already needs to work double hard to keep himself in a job, and goes and does stupid shit like this.  Didn't he go straight to HHH and apologise after the first suspension?  That'll look sincere now.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1608 on: January 18, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »
c/o LOP

TNA May Be Able to Sue WWE for Using Ric Flair at the Hall of Fame This Year
By Marc Middleton
Jan 18, 2012 - 6:16:53 PM

- The argument could be made that TNA has the legal right to sue WWE since they are using a contracted TNA performer to draw ticket sales and DVD sales for the 2012 WWE Hall of Fame with Ric Flair being inducted with The Four Horsemen.

No word yet if TNA will pursue any kind of action against WWE but as of earlier this week, they had not made any decision. It's possible TNA could work out a deal where WWE would pay them a settlement for their usage of Flair.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1609 on: January 18, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »
The argument could be made that TNA has the legal right to sue WWE since they are using a contracted TNA performer to draw ticket sales and DVD sales for the 2012 WWE Hall of Fame with Ric Flair being inducted with The Four Horsemen.

Shit, that's right!
I never even thought about that.

Not that it matters all that much.
Whatever TNA could sue for is a drop in the bucket to the McMahon's, I'm sure.
Linda blew something like $86 million on her senate campaign last year and is now planning another one.

I'd be fascinated to know what their total assets are.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1610 on: January 18, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
After seeing Foley on RAW the other night saying he was gonna be in the Rumble. I have a funny feeling he's gonna be #20 against the Undertaker this year at Mania.

Foley's account of that match is hilarious.
I believe he describes that second fall as being the best AND worst choke-slam in wrestling history.
It's the worst because he didn't go high at all for the lift; in fact, his one foot never even left the ground (cage).
But, it was also the best because of the impact the sequence had as a result of the cage giving way, which supposedly had little to do with him and Taker, and more to do with structural design.

Oddly enough, although that match earned him much respect from the WWF fans, it still didn't quite get him "over" with the fans.
That's when he reinvented his character as a comedic, lovable loser.
I think the sock is actually what got him over the most.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1611 on: January 18, 2012, 06:38:41 PM »
Also, if they go that route, I hope they don't make it a HITC.
They'd have to gaff the hell out of the cage, ring, etc. - like in the one that Mick did with HHH.
That was a good match, but seems somehow tainted when compared to the one in '98.

I'd rather they leave that legacy alone, and just have Mick & Taker do some other match.
I firmly believe they could put on a hell of a show.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1612 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:09 AM »
for lack of a better place to put this not wanting to start a new thread, i saw this on ironhistory and put it here for your persusal
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1613 on: January 19, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »
Nice.
Pat Patterson had one with a few extra, strategically-placed holes.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1614 on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
Timmy doesn't watch TNA at all. May I ask those who do, what does Flair do on the show? Is he still wrestling every week? When does his contract finally run out so he can come home to the Federation?

It'll be interesting to see if Vince would take him back.
He was quite pissed about Ric signing with TNA after the tremendous send-off WWE gave him for his "official" retirement.
I suspect this thing with the Horsemen/HOF is more about Vince making money than honoring Ric and co.

Although, the old man has a weird history of rekindling business relationships with guys I never thought we'd see again in the Fed: Hogan (several times), Piper (several times), Bret, and Graham, just to name a few.
So, I wouldn't rule it out.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1615 on: January 21, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »
Chris Jericho is co-owner of the new D1 Sports Training and Therapy facility in Tampa, along with the NFL's Derrick Brooks, MLB All-Star Chipper Jones.
I've always heard that Y2J is very business-focused.
A lot of people - including "non-entertainers" - can learn from him.

source: http://www.d1sportstraining.com/trainerfinder/websites/60037/tampa/index.html

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1616 on: January 21, 2012, 06:35:30 AM »
Sam Roberts of After Opie and Anthony Live recently interviewed WWE Legend Mick Foley, and spoke with him on a number of topics including his recent comedy tours and his return to WWE. The following are highlights from the interview, which you can listen to in its entirety by clicking on the above link:

-Foley says that he might stop doing comedy for awhile after the current set of dates he's booked for, likely so he can focus on his WWE return.

-Foley reveals that he would need about 3 months to get back into ring shape for a return match, and that it will not be at WrestleMania, but likely a couple months after that.

credit: www.wrestlezone.com

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1617 on: January 22, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »
Despite Ric Flair claiming on a number of occasions that he will be present for the induction of The Four Horsemen at this year's WWE Hall of Fame ceremony, The Wrestling Observer is reporting that in reality Flair being allowed to appear is far from a done deal.

Flair has admitted privately that he has a long way to go in making sure that all legal issues are avoided with TNA. It should be noted that although Flair did attend the ceremony last year, he was not shown on WWE TV as he was under contract to TNA.

credit: www.wrestlezone.com

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1618 on: January 24, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
He's a wrinkly old man... He's now the old man of the roster making himself look silly.

He ain't the only one, Chef:

Sure, I could have posted pics of Bret, Hogan, or Flair, but it was a rough day, and this is how I get my jollies.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1619 on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
Bret, Hogan, Flair, HBK. You throw 3:16 in there you have the top five best. Jericho is the new oldest guy on the roster. Jericho is a balogna sandwich that is so close to being a memory. Remember rough days always seem to bring out the best in us! Drink a cold one, have a bite to eat, and figure out how we're gonna be better tomorrow. Life is good!

Eh, it's only opinion - he wasn't the best, but I liked most of Jericho's work; at least his earlier stuff.
But, you've got to learn to fight fire with fire, Timmy.

See, if I were to do "web battle" with an asshole like myself, I'd counter with unflattering pics of all my idols.
For instance:
Davey Boy - tombstone
Hennig - tomstone
Dynamite - wheelchair
Savage - tombstone

Keeping it real...

;D ;D ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1620 on: January 24, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
Although I do like your bologna sandwhich reference.
It's somewhat analogous to The Brain's "ham & eggers."
Gold, baby...GOLD!!
 ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1621 on: January 25, 2012, 02:06:21 AM »
It's a battle I can't win, plus I don't wanna fight with anyone. Timmy is a fan for life but knows zero about anything except what they show on TV. I have learned so much from you guys and really appreciate everyones posts. Finally Chris Jericho is just about finished. Those close ups last night were really not working for him. His broke down chest and that silly blinking jacket, the guy is done. Jericho will not appeal to the crowd looking the way he does. His days are numbered. 

Opinions are just that.
I also believe that, as paying fans, we're entitled to any opinion we want, and none are wrong.

There are current and past performers in this business who blast the fans' criticisms, but it seems to me that the FANS' opinions matter MOST.
Here's why:
Fans don't need wrestling...but, WRESTLING NEEDS FANS.
That also means that wrestlers need fans.
But, I guess everybody likes to bitch about their boss.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1622 on: January 27, 2012, 06:48:31 AM »
WBAL TV in Baltimore reports that 25 year old Quentin V. Jackson died on January 20th at former WWE star Gillberg's Pro Wrestling Academy. Jackson died from injuries he sustained while training. Police say that Jackson struck his head during a fall and no foul play is suspected.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #1623 on: January 27, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
WBAL TV in Baltimore reports that 25 year old Quentin V. Jackson died on January 20th at former WWE star Gillberg's Pro Wrestling Academy. Jackson died from injuries he sustained while training. Police say that Jackson struck his head during a fall and no foul play is suspected.

Wow. That's sad.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1624 on: January 27, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »
Wow. That's sad.

The biggest illusion in wrestling is NOT the action in the ring, but that some guys think it's a good business to get into.