Author Topic: Reasons bodybuilding will never go mainstream  (Read 3781 times)

wnybodybuildingfan

• Getbig II
Reasons bodybuilding will never go mainstream
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »
How can bodybuilding ever become mainstream?  As if bodybuilding didn't have enough going against it.  What other sport rewards their top teams or top players with a complete season bye? 

It is absolutely ridiculous that the top 6 of the Olympia get an automatic entry into the Olympia.  Will Jimmy Johnson not have to race a single race until the chase begins?  Will the Yankees be automatically put into the playoffs because they have the most titles of any major sports team?  Imagine the NFL giving the 4 teams that played for the conference championships this year a free spot in the playoffs next season! 

The so called sport of bodybuilding is long overdue for a change in policy.  Start fresh each season with every bodybuilder starting at the same level.  Make every competitor compete and qualify via the IronMan Pro, Arnold, Europa etc to make the Olympia. 

It isn't fair to the promoter's, fans, sponsors, or the other athletes for that matter to just give free passes.  You should have to prove yourself time and time again like other sports do that you belong in the finals or the biggest stage of Mr Olympia. 

I think these smaller shows would get larger turn outs as well as the promoters being able to pay more to the winner as well if they were able to promote the top tier bodybuilders being at their show.  The quality of these shows would improve immensely instead of being watered down with second and third tier bodybuilders taking qualifying positions many of which never crack the top 10 on an Olympia Stage. 

Just my 2 cents.....

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
cliffs?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
tiger woods can play in the masters every year and not compete anywhere else. same type of deal.

anyway, i think theres some truth and also some error in what your sayin.the idea is to have the best possible line up on the olympia stage, t have the best show, to let te best in the world go pose-for-pose and to find out whos truly the champ. 

if dexter or victor or phil or kai or dennis w ort any of these top guys for some reason had to miss half a year, or fucked up their prep.... it would suck it they couldnt c ompete in the mr.o...   because we know they will bring one of the top packages..or at least the have the potential too..

then theres the other end...fairness to the athletes... 'best man wins'...well...some truth in that.... but... these guys who have already qualified dont take anyone elses place...the top 5 at the iron man arnold and whatever else qualifying shows...they all get into the mr.o..... and just because someone didnt qualify this year, doesnt mean they will place ahead of anyone who did qualify this year. the fact they get a "full season bye"  wont effect the judging of the mr. o ... or at least it shoudlnt.. so its not really "unfair"...

wnybodybuildingfan

• Getbig II
tiger woods can play in the masters every year and not compete anywhere else. same type of deal.

That is true but Tiger Woods also plays in more tournaments during the year than just the Masters.  Also you have to be in the top 30 money list I believe in order to play in the players championship at the end of the year.     

anyway, i think theres some truth and also some error in what your sayin.the idea is to have the best possible line up on the olympia stage, t have the best show, to let te best in the world go pose-for-pose and to find out whos truly the champ. 

if dexter or victor or phil or kai or dennis w ort any of these top guys for some reason had to miss half a year, or fucked up their prep.... it would suck it they couldnt c ompete in the mr.o...   because we know they will bring one of the top packages..or at least the have the potential too..

Could have a policy that any of the top 5 from the previous years Olympia that don't qualify for an olympia spot get a wild card into the Olympia that year.  As long as they compete at least once during the year.
then theres the other end...fairness to the athletes... 'best man wins'...well...some truth in that.... but... these guys who have already qualified dont take anyone elses place...the top 5 at the iron man arnold and whatever else qualifying shows...they all get into the mr.o..... and just because someone didnt qualify this year, doesnt mean they will place ahead of anyone who did qualify this year. the fact they get a "full season bye"  wont effect the judging of the mr. o ... or at least it shoudlnt.. so its not really "unfair"...

The_Leafy_Bug

The problem i see with this is if you had bodybuilders dieting year round you would get kind of a downgrade in the quality and standards of what a top olympian physique would look like.... But then again we are already seeing this at some of the smaller pro shows. You just don't see super shredded conditioning anymore it seems.

Mons Venus

Incorrect. Tiger must play 15 offical events per yr to maintain his Tour Card.

Mons Venus

Reasons bodybuilding will never go mainstream
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »
Recently at a very large public event and NOTHING BUT FAT SLOBS EVERYWHERE! Bodybuilding will forever remain is a Cult 'sport'. :-*

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: REASON BODYBUILDING WILL NEVER GO MAINSTREAM
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »
not enough musclebears there for your taste, "mons"?

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »
It's because;
1. Their freaks who everyone believes is on drugs (my point here is that the drug use
is no different to other sports but the public doesn't see that)
2. So it's a Freakshow and people don't see it as a sport
3. It's not exciting, there's no last minute win, come from behind win (even those arn't interesting)

The fat slob arguement is true, people don't work hard at themselves at all. But the athletes on the football or Baseball field arn't fatasses and they still watch those sports.

I train in another sport, outrigging, they had to change it this season to make it more exciting because it was hard to get people to join to race 16km as it's fucking hard. They had to do more shorter races. That's life most people sux and are lazy ;)

Bodybuilding.com Webmaster

• Getbig II
  • The World's Most Visited Bodybuilding Site
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »
or if could be because of stuff like this that happens at the shows:

Just my two cents...

ww
Most Popular BB Site Online!

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 04:03:31 PM »

Just my two cents...

ww

Well at least BayGBM got a wank out of it.

Always look on the positive side!
from incomplete data

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »
Recently at a very large public event and NOTHING BUT FAT SLOBS EVERYWHERE! Bodybuilding will forever remain is a Cult 'sport'. :-*

i like it that it's a underground type thing

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Reasons bodybuilding will never go mainstream
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 04:31:14 PM »
Recently at a very large public event and NOTHING BUT FAT SLOBS EVERYWHERE! Bodybuilding will forever remain is a Cult 'sport'.

Correct, bodybuilding is not going to go mainsteam like football, basketball, baseball.  Duh - it is a niche sport, like many others we have in the world.  But there is a large enough audience out there that mainstains the expo and more.

While many of us will never be like a huge pro bodybuilder, the fact is that building up, body building(weights, cardio, nutrition) and more is mainstream.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Correct, bodybuilding is not going to go mainsteam like football, basketball, baseball.  Duh - it is a niche sport, like many others we have in the world.  But there is a large enough audience out there that mainstains the expo and more.

While many of us will never be like a huge pro bodybuilder, the fact is that building up, body building(weights, cardio, nutrition) and more is mainstream.

i think that it being an underground thing is what appeals to a lot of people, i know most bb'ers i know tend to be more antisocial and introverted so they and myself included like the exclusivity that bbing brings.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 09:43:42 PM »

Ron, it's not a sport, but a male pageant. Regardless, yes, eating and cardio/training are mainstream. The problem is, most of those people CANNOT relate to the drug abusers in this industry. They want to look good and they want to be in shape. Hell, they may even want to be healthier. Sadly, competitive bbing is as far as you can get from that these days.

Btw, people show up to the "expo's" for free stuff. Most are already there cause they have to be or cause they are schmoes (hoping to grope on their favorite muscle hero). It is after all, a trade show.....
HAHA, RON.....

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »

Been sayin that for years. BB will NEVER be main stream, but so what anyway.

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »

I heard the Expo was very small this year? Any feedback. It seems like over the last 4-5 years supplements companies arent giving away anything anymore. At least you can go to a Expo and chill and shoot the shit. If you go to a MMA event I swear to god every single person there thinks they are fighting that night.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 04:03:34 AM »
Ron called it a sport again. LOL.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 04:08:08 AM »

Just my two cents...

ww
::)

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 04:14:53 AM »

Just my two cents...

ww

Could be because we have former and current convicted criminals writing articles for MD or in the past under the guise of Undercover Pro

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 05:10:20 AM »
Mainstream? Never.

Overhaul of rules way overdue, though.

Like less pros from North America, and more from the rest of the world, maybe? Or even it out.

There's a lot of shows available for USA & Canadian bbers to enter to automatically acquire pro card, and other ways of making the World Champs. In the rest of the world (South America, Africa, Asia, Australasia, Europe) you gotta kill/blow someone to get noticed.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 05:21:13 AM »
bodybuilding mainstream?  ;D ;D ;D

Somehow I don't think oiled up-juiced up- men in thongs flexing their muscles ever is going to be of any interest for the everyday normal person......  :P

big14

• Getbig III
  • Big muscles are so cool
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 05:50:50 AM »
Bodybuilding is going Gaystream.
Poor hetero people that walk into a BBshow.
B

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 05:57:27 AM »
will happen when all drug laws are eviscerated from the statutes

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 06:03:32 AM »
Look at the public outcry over drug use in mainstream sports.

Now, take a sport where drugs are one of three major components.

If it didn't go mainstream in the 90s when the physiques were more top quality and less was known about steroid use, it'll never go now with the blobs that are put onstage today.
Y