Author Topic: Haldron Collider.......LMAO! Epic waste of money!  (Read 843 times)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Haldron Collider.......LMAO! Epic waste of money!
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:35:43 AM »
The new director of Europe's Big Bang machine signalled in an interview published Sunday that he will be more cautious than his predecessor, following a major breakdown that marred its multi-billion dollar launch.

The giant atom-smasher, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), broke down only days after being switched on by CERN in September 2008, causing more than 30 million Swiss francs of repairs (20 million euros, 26 million dollars).

Rolf-Dieter Heuer, director-general of the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, told the Swiss newspaper Sonntag that the bill could even reach 40 million Swiss francs.

Heuer, who succeeded Frenchman Robert Aymar at the beginning of this month, said the LHC will be double checked by outside experts before any attempt is made to switch the machine back on, probably in July.

"I want to be sure that everything works," said Heuer of the six billion Swiss franc particle accelerator that runs through a 27-kilometre (17-mile) tunnel under the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva.

"So I'll also let an external group make additional checks on the accelerator," he added.

The German particle physicist explained that he did not mistrust the 10,000 staff at the organisation and underlined that it was easier to act with hindsight.

"But when you have been working on something for so long, with time you can become blinded by the system and don't find all the faults," he added.

After more than a decade of painstaking work, the first beams were fired down the new accelerator in a blaze of publicity on September 10, 2008 only to break down due to a helium leak from its cooling system nine days later.

Heuer said he was inclined to make less of a fuss when the LHC, which is designed to help unravel the secrets of the origins of the universe, is switched on again, probably next summer.

"That'll only come when everything is working. I'm a bit more careful in that respect than my predecessor."

The LHC is meant to be ramped up progressively and Heuer has said that he does not want to push for a full energy beam until 2010 at the earliest, after new protection systems have been added.

The exact schedule for the experiment is due to be discussed by scientists early next month at a meeting in Chamonix, France.

The LHC is the most powerful in a series of atom-smashers at the 20-nation research organisation that have successfully helped advance knowledge of particle physics and the workings of the laws of nature since CERN was founded in 1954.

(c) 2009 AFP

Dan-O

• Getbig V
Re: Haldron Collider.......LMAO! Epic waste of money!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:41:15 AM »
It's apparent that you really don't appreciate what the LHC is all about, from a couple of things you said--you wrote "Haldron" when no such thing exists--it's called a "hadron" which is a subatomic particle, or more precisely, a bound state of quarks.

And also, you referred to the LHC as the "Big Bang Machine" which is also inaccurate.  Are you one of those people who worries that a rogue black hole will arise from the collider and devour the whole earth or something?  To put it simply, that would not, could not ever happen.

The LHC is important to deepen our understanding of physics beyond what has been possible heretofore, making possible great advances in science and technology.  By necessity it's extremely sophisticated so of course there's a huge potential for failure in any number of its systems.

There are many people on here with a far greater understanding of physics than myself who could probably state the case for the LHC far more eloquently, but suffice it to say that it's not an "epic waste of money."  At least not IMO.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »
When dealing with theoretical physics, its difficult to make any certain statements.  When you say its impossible for a black hole to form, that is a very ignorant statement.  We know so little about science its unbelievable. 

It's apparent that you really don't appreciate what the LHC is all about, from a couple of things you said--you wrote "Haldron" when no such thing exists--it's called a "hadron" which is a subatomic particle, or more precisely, a bound state of quarks.

And also, you referred to the LHC as the "Big Bang Machine" which is also inaccurate.  Are you one of those people who worries that a rogue black hole will arise from the collider and devour the whole earth or something?  To put it simply, that would not, could not ever happen.

The LHC is important to deepen our understanding of physics beyond what has been possible heretofore, making possible great advances in science and technology.  By necessity it's extremely sophisticated so of course there's a huge potential for failure in any number of its systems.

There are many people on here with a far greater understanding of physics than myself who could probably state the case for the LHC far more eloquently, but suffice it to say that it's not an "epic waste of money."  At least not IMO.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
When dealing with theoretical physics, its difficult to make any certain statements.  When you say its impossible for a black hole to form, that is a very ignorant statement.  We know so little about science its unbelievable. 

Certainly not a black hole on a macroscopic scale as most imagine it.  If they did form, they would be microscopic and exist for a tiny fraction of a second.  But not in the form that most people would imagine them to be.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
Certainly not a black hole on a macroscopic scale as most imagine it.  If they did form, they would be microscopic and exist for a tiny fraction of a second.  But not in the form that most people would imagine them to be.

Even if they were microscopic, they could potentially lead to a lot destruction.  We know very little about black holes.  We barely know anything about things we can study and observe first hand, let alone something that we have only observed from millions of miles away.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:48:20 PM »
Even if they were microscopic, they could potentially lead to a lot destruction.  We know very little about black holes.  We barely know anything about things we can study and observe first hand, let alone something that we have only observed from millions of miles away.

Well let's put it this way--even if I were living directly above the LHC I wouldn't lose any sleep over black holes.  And regardless, I don't consider it a waste of money.  Call me crazy.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:56:59 PM »
Well let's put it this way--even if I were living directly above the LHC I wouldn't lose any sleep over black holes.  And regardless, I don't consider it a waste of money.  Call me crazy.

I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I think its useful.  I cant remember what the hell the name of the term is, but I heard they were studying it.  Basically two atoms collide and the electrons, for lack of a better term, are teleported.  Maybe cluster scattering?  It's been a while since I took a class on this shit.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
It will provide new information and technology in the coming decades.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »
It will provide new information and technology in the coming decades.

And where does technology get us?  People aren't any happier, don't work any less, don't spend any more time with their families, don't live longer, etc.  Fuck technology.  It's overrated. 

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:41:20 PM »
And where does technology get us?  People aren't any happier, don't work any less, don't spend any more time with their families, don't live longer, etc.  Fuck technology.  It's overrated. 

The "Singularity" will ensure that no one will ever have to work again.
That everyone will have the opportunity to be happy.
That everyone can spend as much time as they want with their families.
That everyone will live FOREVER if they want.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »
The natural world i.e. rivers, mountains, jungles, animals etc. is the most fun, exciting, adventurous, soulful experience a human being could ever imagine.  Iphones, computers, flat screens, navigation, blah blah blah.  People are for the most part lazy and boring.  Id rather be out hiking and backpacking and rock climbing than sitting home masturbating over technology.  It gets old.  WHen is enough enough?  There is a point of diminishing returns.  I mean how much more fucking shit does humanity need?  The world is already polluted enough as it is.  So we solve cancer?  Then something else will come along because we are destroying nature and a new virus or sickness pops. 

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »
The natural world i.e. rivers, mountains, jungles, animals etc. is the most fun, exciting, adventurous, soulful experience a human being could ever imagine.  Iphones, computers, flat screens, navigation, blah blah blah.  People are for the most part lazy and boring.  Id rather be out hiking and backpacking and rock climbing than sitting home masturbating over technology.  It gets old.  WHen is enough enough?  There is a point of diminishing returns.  I mean how much more fucking shit does humanity need?  The world is already polluted enough as it is.  So we solve cancer?  Then something else will come along because we are destroying nature and a new virus or sickness pops. 

When food or material objects can be materialized instantly at your home from nano-bots, and there is no longer a need to work for a living, then you can spend all day outside hiking and doing what you want to do.
When this sort of technology is here, mostly due to nanotechnology, there will be few problems. Population won't even be an issue since most people don't want to have children, and sterilization (temporary or not) will be easy and painless and could be done instantly for free.

This is what the goal is.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:53:31 PM »
When food or material objects can be materialized instantly at your home from nano-bots, and there is no longer a need to work for a living, then you can spend all day outside hiking and doing what you want to do.
When this sort of technology is here, mostly due to nanotechnology, there will be few problems. Population won't even be an issue since most people don't want to have children, and sterilization (temporary or not) will be easy and painless and could be done instantly for free.

This is what the goal is.

::)  Yeah sounds amazing!