Author Topic: who do you think is the best Boxer of all time.. HW  (Read 4739 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
who do you think is the best Boxer of all time.. HW
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »
okay so we don't talk much boxing on here.. so lets talk. I know that someone will say Tyson, but defend your point. WHY Someone might say Ali, but defend your point why? Here are a few things to go with the discussion... VIDEOS are always welcome, open debate is always good as well............ BUT....

Don't start arguing calling others fucktards and other shit. I want some real conversation... I'll add my two cents as the conversation gets started. Hope this thread goes 5 pages fella..

p.s. we will delve into other weight classes next week, but lets bring the heavies for the first!

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: who do you think is the best Boxer of all time.. HW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:51:57 AM »
a 21 year old tyson had it all imo,speed,great power,head movement,great footwork,great chin and most of all drive and heart,somewhere along the way he lost much of those attributes that made him great
R

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:40:13 AM »
Tyson when he beat Spinks in AC was the best fighter that have ever walked on Earth ...
Ali was the best boxer, some of the old cassius clay stuff is amazing, how he just moved and juked away from foes punches...eg vs Paterson, looked like he was skating on ice in the olympics and his punches rained down like Katrina.
The Number 2 in Scranton

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »
Tyson in his prime

he was an unstoppable freight train

pity his prime lasted about a year
T

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:58:50 AM »
1. ali
2. marciano
3. tyson

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:16:12 AM »
I hate HWs. ;D

Its Ali because of the resume.

Joe Louis had 25 title defenses so he is in the conversation. But Louis is so small that the Klits bros would ice his ass.

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 11:07:32 AM »

One of, if not the best heavyweight performance.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »

One of, if not the best heavyweight performance.

Ali was insane in his prime. Would have wiped out all heavies past and present no problem

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »
a 21 year old tyson had it all imo,speed,great power,head movement,great footwork,great chin and most of all drive and heart,somewhere along the way he lost much of those attributes that made him great

Exactly what I was gonna write.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »
holyfield
DAWG

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 07:38:48 PM »
okay my issue with Tyson is that half of his resume is all hype. Guys were scared of Tyson before they got in the ring. If you watch Tyson's fights no one got up on him until Buster. Then Buster showed the world how to beat Mike. It was bully him around and get up on him, Ala Holyfield and Lewis. Tyson is great no questions, but to claim the best HW is hard for me and he is one of my favorite fighters.

Lots of the old school HW's were real small, so I don't know if they would last, but Ali fought some tough comp. and always came to fight.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
okay my issue with Tyson is that half of his resume is all hype. Guys were scared of Tyson before they got in the ring. If you watch Tyson's fights no one got up on him until Buster. Then Buster showed the world how to beat Mike. It was bully him around and get up on him, Ala Holyfield and Lewis. Tyson is great no questions, but to claim the best HW is hard for me and he is one of my favorite fighters.

Lots of the old school HW's were real small, so I don't know if they would last, but Ali fought some tough comp. and always came to fight.

That may be all good and true, but that doesn't take away from his victories...it doesn't change his record or his knockouts.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 08:25:13 PM »
Tyson never fought anyone with any kind of movement,nobody ever gave the guy angles.....

Spinks was the first guy that could have given him some and he took the fight with basically a blown out knee (could'nt turn down the money) so he stood right in front of mike !

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:04:41 AM »
Larry Holmes without a doubt.  Technical fighter with deadly accuracy.  Reined longer as champion than anyone ever will again.  He never ducked opponents.  It was a shame he went on too long like most do.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:26:47 AM »
not that i will say Tyson was the best or not, but its strange that as the years pass, more and more people say that he didnt have enough competition, that he fought only 'so and so' fighters.... really strange

the same as Fedor today... well, you cant please everyone

I just dont see how Ali in his prime would beat Tyson in his prime.... If someone can see how he could use his style to win i would like to hear
!

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:27 AM »
Larry Holmes without a doubt.  Technical fighter with deadly accuracy.  Reined longer as champion than anyone ever will again.  He never ducked opponents.  It was a shame he went on too long like most do.

Boom right here.  I think Holmes and Ali were the two greatest heavyweights. 

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 05:04:03 AM »
Thought marciano would have got more votes than i gave him simply on the basis that he beat everyone who faced him.

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 08:47:04 AM »
Larry Holmes in his prime was sick definitely. He maybe had the nicest jab of all time; speed, power, and accuracy to the max.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »
Tyson never fought anyone with any kind of movement,nobody ever gave the guy angles.....

Spinks was the first guy that could have given him some and he took the fight with basically a blown out knee (could'nt turn down the money) so he stood right in front of mike !

at his best tyson

was lightning quick

with knockout power from both hands and a variety of angles
T

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:01:11 PM »
Larry Holmes in his prime was sick definitely. He maybe had the nicest jab of all time; speed, power, and accuracy to the max.

Hell yeah.  Held the belt for over 7 years and fought way more than they do nowadays dude was averaging 4-5 fights a year during his championship reign against all top contenders.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »
Thought marciano would have got more votes than i gave him simply on the basis that he beat everyone who faced him.

he has my vote. i don;t think he would do well today because of his lack of size BUT who knows with nutrition, training and supplements he would probably be a lot bigger. i don;t think ali, rocky marciono or tyson could deal with the 7ft monsters that fight today though

on a side note i do think rock m was the best boxer of all time (for his size) and i do think he would have beaten ali
irongearco.com

w8m8

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 05:52:08 AM »

I just dont see how Ali in his prime would beat Tyson in his prime....

I saw an interview and Tyson said Ali woulda beat him  :-\  he wasn't just paying lip service to Ali either he was genuine , he has respect for the man

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 06:30:09 AM »
I just don't see how Ali in his prime would beat Tyson in his prime.... If someone can see how he could use his style to win i would like to hear

Easy...he'd take mike into deep waters and drown him. Mike was a great machine with great tools during his prime but he never ever in his life faced an active body even close to Ali in his prime.

Mike would literally be chasing this guy trying to corner him and apply pressure while at the same time getting jab and crossed to death. Ali stamina at heavy was supreme...15 rds no prob. I can't see Mike past 7 or 8 at ali pace he'd set.

Plus remember...mike was known to concede within himself and make "silent contracts" when he fought the guy that fought back even in his prime...ask tony atlas.

prime Ali would literally destroy a prime mike inside out IMO

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 11:13:45 AM »

I remember watching this when it aired
DAWG

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »

he has my vote. i don;t think he would do well today because of his lack of size BUT who knows with nutrition, training and supplements he would probably be a lot bigger. i don;t think ali, rocky marciono or tyson could deal with the 7ft monsters that fight today though

on a side note i do think rock m was the best boxer of all time (for his size) and i do think he would have beaten ali

Im a big fan of marciano but I just have a feeling that Marciano at his best would have not been able to handle Ali at his best. I think it would go the distance but Ali would have been to clever for the Rock.