Author Topic: February is CURT HENNIG MONTH:  (Read 73330 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: February is CURT HENNIG MONTH:
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2015, 04:09:16 PM »
I'll bet..they were great friends in real life.

This thread is your thread Monte  ;D Mean't for you bro.

The only worker I mark out for harder than Billington is Hennig.
 8)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2015, 04:22:32 PM »

The only worker I mark out for harder than Billington is Hennig.
 8)
I wish he had a world title run...shame on that shit. They couldv'e done it in WCW during the latter part of his career.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2015, 03:11:08 AM »
I wish he had a world title run...shame on that shit. They couldv'e done it in WCW during the latter part of his career.

Hennig wasn't the only misused talent in WCW, but he was the biggest, IMO.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »

Hennig wasn't the only misused talent in WCW, but he was the biggest, IMO.

He was the biggest. Fuck the rest. If anyone couldv'e been a great heel champ at that time it would have been Curt....not David Arquette....Jesus Christ almight...Vince Russo is a joke....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2015, 04:20:13 AM »
Rest in peace, Curt.

Thanks for the memories!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2016, 09:00:17 AM »
Some of you know that work, training, and other "personal stuff" has lead to me not spending the kind of time on this site I used to. As such, it is very unfortunate that I neglected to bump this deserving thread devoted to a performer worthy of at least an annual salute.

Below is a letter apparently written by Curt Hennig shortly after the death of probably his best friend in the business, Rick Rude.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the source that originally published the letter. I only know/understand that it appeared in a wrestling magazine. If anyone knows the magazine, please post it here so that I can give credit.

Enjoy!!

By Curt Hennig

.....When my best friend Rick Rude died, wrestling really lost one of the greatest artists in our business. The guy had everything it took to be the No. 1 man. He had the body, the psychology, and the look. He had no flaws as far as I'm concerned.

.....I knew Rick Rude for more than 25 years. We met in eighth grade in Robbinsdale, Minn. Rick and I were so alike, always scheming. I remember one time I stole a pair of hockey skates from this kid. I told Rick that I got these skates, and if he sells them for me we would split the money. Rick thought that was one heck of a deal. He took the skates and sold them - back to the kid I stole them from! When he got caught, he never told on me. That's the kind of friend he was. From that moment on, we knew we were best of friends. When someone doesn't stooge you off at that early of an age, that's really something.

.....Through the years our friendship grew, and we went on many hunting trips, outings, and had lots of memorable personal and professional years together in the WWF. I was Mr. Perfect, and he was Ravishing Rick Rude. Rick arrived in the WWF first. I had never worked a territory with him. We lost touch and hadn't talked in about two years. My initial appearance was to be in Tacoma, Wash., in 1988. When I found out that Rick was staying at the same hotel as me, I called him when I checked in earlier in the day. I told him, "Rick Rude, I'm here to kick your ass!". He said, "Who's this?" I told him that I was in the lobby and I was starting in the WWF today. He wanted to know whose spot I was taking. I told him "Yours!" We had a damn good laugh!

.....Rick's character inside the ring was one of a mean person who went for the women. Outside the ring, he was pretty much the same. If you even looked at him wrong or checked out the girl he was with, or something like that, he would want to fight. Some guys like to fight like I like to play golf. Rick Rude was an all-around son-of-a-bitch!

.....The last time I talked to him was the day before he died. He had just started with this shoot fighting interest. He had been taking some classes in it and had two sparring matches. He said he did really well and figures he might be able to compete. He wanted to perform so badly. He couldn't wrestle because of some insurance reasons. He thought when he came back to WCW he'd have a chance to at least manage me or be involved in some way, shape or form, but it didn't happen. He came home shortly after the session and told me he was having some trouble breathing. Keep in mind, 10 days before this he had been in a car wreck. He cracked three ribs and was put in the hospital. Fluid had accumulated in his lungs, and yet had fought that day.

.....When I got home from the funeral and the live Nitro in Fargo, N.D., I checked my answering machine. There were two messages from him. In the final one he asked me if I had Eric Bischoff's telephone number, that he needed to call him about something. Then he said, "I'll see you later." I still hear those words, "I'll see you later". I've kept that tape and will never let anything happen to it.

.....I don't want anyone to lump him in with those stories about wrestlers abusing drugs and steroids. Rick Rude was not on anything heavy duty. He may have been taking some pain pills for his ribs. I've heard some people say his death was a suicide. No way. He was too much of a man to do that. If he had a problem, he would face it. He would look death in the eye. He wouldn't coward out of anything he did in his whole life. He was he most standup guy I ever knew. I learned so much from him about being a man. He was a man's man, 100 percent!

.....My friend Rick Rude lived five lifetimes. In that respect, if God decided to flip the switch on me right now, I could probably just say thank you. We lived it up and had a great time. I just feel so sorry for his wife and three kids.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2016, 04:33:56 AM »
Many interviews I have heard from wrestlers i:e Hall, Waltman etc said he had the best mind in the business. Hall said he learned alot from Henning.

Waltman said Henning named him "kid"

Definitely a great that died too young..

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2016, 03:20:10 PM »
I actually remember when Hall and Hennig were a tag team. We had just gotten cable and ESPN would show AWA wrestling once a week.

Easy to forget what a beast Hall was when he was young:

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2016, 04:12:07 AM »
Has Henning ever done a shoot interview? I would love to see it if he has.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2016, 02:28:20 AM »
Has Henning ever done a shoot interview? I would love to see it if he has.

The closest I've ever found is this interview from 2000:

Although, I did run across something a month or two ago that caught my attention. As usual, I can't remember the details of the interview, or where it was - but I know I have it saved somewhere.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2016, 04:33:45 AM »

The closest I've ever found is this interview from 2000:

Although, I did run across something a month or two ago that caught my attention. As usual, I can't remember the details of the interview, or where it was - but I know I have it saved somewhere.
Oh nice! I have to check this out. Aside from Henning due to his untimely death, I would love to hear a Rick Rude shoot if he had one too.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »
Oh nice! I have to check this out. Aside from Henning due to his untimely death, I would love to hear a Rick Rude shoot if he had one too.

I know of no such interview.

Rick was a die-hard Kayfaber, and died before the advent of the "shoot" interview.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »

I know of no such interview.

Rick was a die-hard Kayfaber, and died before the advent of the "shoot" interview.
Ya, his time was way too soon. henning too. From what I understood, Rude was in for a major push in WCW shortly before his death.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »
Ya, his time was way too soon. henning too. From what I understood, Rude was in for a major push in WCW shortly before his death.

I have heard similar.

He and Hennig were both collecting on a Lloyd's of London policy. I want to say that Curt somehow violated the terms of his payout, disqualifying his eligibility.

Supposedly, though, Rude was being pretty careful adhering to his terms.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
Yesterday marked 15 years since we lost this legend:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
A deserving bump...

16 years today.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2019, 07:22:26 AM »
A deserving bump...

16 years today.
Miss watching him wrestle. He was such a great performer.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
Miss watching him wrestle. He was such a great performer.

Obviously, it gets increasingly harder to find new material to post concerning these guys the more time passes.
But, here's something I don't think has appeared on our wrestling board before.
In fact, I only just found it myself not that long ago:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »
Missed it by two days... LOL

The video below is a recording of the Bruce Prichard podcast in which he discusses (along with co-host Conrad Thompson) in great detail his memories of Curt Hennig. I thoroughly enjoyed this "shoot" conversation because it sheds additional light on many things we've discussed in this thread over the last decade.

Please enjoy!!!