Author Topic: Reluctant Republicans 'swoon' over Obama after meeting  (Read 1089 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Reluctant Republicans 'swoon' over Obama after meeting
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »
Update: Boehner tells press he thinks Obama was sincere in wanting to find common ground and wanting to hear ideas

President Barack Obama put his vow to govern without partisan rancor on the line Tuesday, after holding exclusive talks with increasingly truculent Republican lawmakers about his massive stimulus plan.

And strangely enough, Congressional Republicans are aflutter over the "respect" being shown to them by President Obama, even as they continue to criticize the economic stimulus plan.

"If [the] President carries this on it does open door for a new tone!" wrote Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-Mich.) on his Twitter page as the negotiations progressed.

"Swooning," said The Hill of the unexpected outpouring of GOP appreciation.

"The statistics every day underscore the urgency of the economic situation, and the American people expect action," said President Obama between mettings with House and Senate Republicans, as quoted by the Associated Press. "I don't expect 100 percent agreement from my Republican colleagues, but I do hope we can put politics aside."

But it's what leaked out on the edges of the mainstream press that might best explain the surprised reaction from Republicans.

"I will be judged by the legacy I have left behind," an unnamed source cited Obama as saying, in a post by US News and World Report's Washington Whispers blog. "I don't want to leave our children with a legacy of debt. I am inheriting an annual yearly debt of over $1 trillion.'"

Other tipsters told Whispers:

- "Obama said the he would 'like not to have to spend the stimulus money.'"

- "He also said that he has 'no interest in increasing government just to increase the size of government.'"

- On GOP complaints, "he said that 'there will be time to beat him up and a time for politics. He said I understand that and I will watch you on Fox News and feel bad about myself.'"

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Reluctant Republicans 'swoon' over Obama after meeting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »
I wonder if the Repugs told Obama about their one and only idea they have to fix any and all economic problems

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:51:34 AM »
I wonder if the Repugs told Obama about their one and only idea they have to fix any and all economic problems

They have one?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 05:33:12 AM »
They have one?

Ok genius - how does a trillion dollars in new welfare spending stimulate new jobs where people actually pay taxes???????????????

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »
Ok genius - how does a trillion dollars in new welfare spending stimulate new jobs where people actually pay taxes???????????????

Exactly.What are these fools going to do when the non-workers are larger then the workers and the money drys up.I guess just like true democrats they just print more.Yeah,lets get contraception in there THAT will save our jobs.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:41:11 AM »
Unreal...I don't want to here dick about the war....where is all this cash going. How about a simple one...cut taxes on everybody from business to private citizen...those that ACTUALLY PAY TAXES...and suspend the payroll tax for anywhere from 6-18 months. Let those businesses fail that will fail and weed out the weak.  Obama and more so the Dems appear looking more to reeelection and power building then actually fixing anything. Typical Lib victim mentality at its best.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 06:48:53 AM »
This is really disgusting what Obama and Pelosi are doing.  A Trillion dollars in new welfare spending!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »
Pelosi is pushing the welfare spending, which has never worked as a stimulus historically.  She is so obsessed with her own initiatives and values that she denies history and reason.

I don't agree with Obama's huge stimulus plan but at least he seems to be reasonable enough to understand that some of the non-stimulus shit the dems & Pelosi put in there are their agenda, not stimulus, and he has removed it. 
Have they removed the ACORN funds yet?  Appauling.  And Pelosi crying for more food stamps...idiot.

Guys, this is our money...the largest sum of gov spending ever!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »
We need private sector jobs not a bunch of government jobs.  Stimulate the private sector and cut spending...that is a concise and most logical idea.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 09:19:16 AM »
They have one?

haven't you heard - tax cuts for the wealthly in the hope that they create jobs combined with a reduction in social services for the rest of the poor working schlubs.   Even better, increase social security withholding to create a surpus which the govt. can then borrow to plug up the holes in the budget left by the tax cuts.

That's been their one and only idea for the last 25 years

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »
Taxes are too high on everyone, businesses included.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 09:28:37 AM »
We need private sector jobs not a bunch of government jobs.  Stimulate the private sector and cut spending...that is a concise and most logical idea.

Creating government jobs doesn't count. Gvt jobs usually equate to regulation and administration jobs that do little except cost the taxpayers more $$$.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »
Wait - I forgot Repugs have one other favorite idea - PRIVATIZE everything.

The public roads, the public parks, our natural resources, our government services (think Walter Reed), our wars, etc... 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »
Wait - I forgot Repugs have one other favorite idea - PRIVATIZE everything.

The public roads, the public parks, our natural resources, our government services (think Walter Reed), our wars, etc... 

You liberals must be in your glory with a trillion in new welfare spending.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »
You liberals must be in your glory with a trillion in new welfare spending.

you mean the bank bailout?

that's the only spending that's happened so far

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
you mean the bank bailout?

that's the only spending that's happened so far

I was dead set against that.  The bailout was treason as far as I am concerned.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
I was dead set against that.  The bailout was treason as far as I am concerned.   

I think it was the Repugs last chance to fleece the American Taxpayer before getting out of town.

Olberman was calling this out months ago

If you remember Paulsons original proposal was about 2 pages long and we had to act IMMEDIATELY because the problem (which they never saw coming) was so terrible that we had no time to delay.  It's also included this nifty little sentence:

"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 10:07:42 AM »
I think it was the Repugs last chance to fleece the American Taxpayer before getting out of town.

Olberman was calling this out months ago

If you remember Paulsons original proposal was about 2 pages long and we had to act IMMEDIATELY because the problem (which they never saw coming) was so terrible that we had no time to delay.  It's also included this nifty little sentence:

"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Paulson should be in jail.  Read what Sen. Inofe said about Paulson, theat he threanted everyone with martial law, riots etc.

I care more about freedom and liberty than a meltdown of the banks. 

I would rather be broke and free than at subsistence level and a slave to the government.  But that is me.  Many here seem perfectly happy to be slaves. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »
Paulson should be in jail.  Read what Sen. Inofe said about Paulson, theat he threanted everyone with martial law, riots etc.

I care more about freedom and liberty than a meltdown of the banks. 

I would rather be broke and free than at subsistence level and a slave to the government.  But that is me.  Many here seem perfectly happy to be slaves. 

I'm with you on Paulson and a bunch of his cronies too

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »
I'm with you on Paulson and a bunch of his cronies too

Im not kidding, GWB and Paulson committed an absolute fraud on the nation with TARP.