Author Topic: Food stamps, not tax cuts, stimulate the economy - Rep. Pelosi.  (Read 1856 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Food stamps, not tax cuts, stimulate the economy - Rep. Pelosi.
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:12:15 AM »
Food Stamps Will Stimulate the Economy More than Tax Cuts, Pelosi Says
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
By Ryan Byrnes

Rep, Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), speaker of the U.S. House (AP photo)(CNSNews.com) – Food stamps and unemployment insurance will provide more economic stimulus than tax cuts, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Tuesday during a telephone press conference.

“(F)ood stamps and unemployment insurance, which affect the people in the states, are necessary at this time when funds are short and the economy is down, (and) actually have the most stimulative effect on the economy,” Pelosi said. “Food stamps first, unemployment insurance next, infrastructure after that, and it goes on from there.”

“Actually, those investments bring a bigger return than the tax cuts,” she said, adding: “but tax cuts where we have them – to the middle class – we think will give us our biggest return.”

During the press conference, Pelosi laid out the contents of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which is expected to be passed in the House Wednesday.

The 20-minute news conference also included Govs. Edward Rendell (D-Pa.) and Jim Douglas (R-Vt.).

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act will devote $20 billion to “provide nutrition assistance to modest-income families and to lift restrictions that limit the amount of time individuals can receive food stamps,” according to a summary of the plan released last week by the House Appropriations Committee.

“It’s about jobs, tax cuts and accountability,” Pelosi said of the legislation.

Economists said Pelosi’s remark regarding food stamps is accurate if it is assessed in the right context.

“I think the statement is correct, as far as it goes,” said Alan Viard, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research.

“It’s important to realize that it is a statement about how food stamps vary over the business cycle instead of what the overall level should be,” Viard said. “It’s also important to realize you are never going to get a large amount of stimulus from food stamps, just because it’s not a very large program.”

Traditionally, governments raise interest rates and cut spending to stop inflation -- cutting down on “demand” – but they cut interest rates and raise spending to reduce unemployment – or “boost demand.”

“The only purpose to boosting demand is to stabilize the economy,” he said. “When you boost demand, what you get is an upfront economic gain. But later you will have a payback once output goes down.” Viard said this is why a stimulus needs to be timed as well as possible.

“You can’t really boost food stamps all that much,” he said. “There are only so many dollars you can put into that.”

A vote in the House on the president’s economic stimulus bill is expected Wednesday.

________________________ ________________________ _________________

This woman knows less than a 5th grader about the economy.

She is a joke and a disgrace.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: Food stamps, not tax cuts, stimulate the economy - Rep. Pelosi.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:50:21 AM »
She needs to go.  She is a plague to this country. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:52:05 AM »
Does she not understand who drives the economy...anybody here work for a poor person.  She is an epic moron....maybe this will force her out.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:53:14 AM »
She needs to go.  She is a plague to this country. 

This is the CHANGE all the clowns voted for.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »
Does she not understand who drives the economy...anybody here work for a poor person.  She is an epic moron....maybe this will force her out.

Drive her out??????????

The left wing and democrats loves this woman!

Like i said, she is a disgrace to my ancestors.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »
I have a sliver of Italian in me and that part is very ashamed as well.

People need to restore balance to the senate and house in 2010.  Get Pelosi the f-ck out.  She tries to do 1 stupid thing after another. 

I have an open mind about Obama, he wasn't my choice but could turn out to be a decent president...if we can get some of these far lefties out of office.  2010 is very important.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:08:42 AM »
I just emailed her....I expect u guys to do the same. This is absurd.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:16:28 AM »

Screw that, im calling her myself right now.  I will give you guys the number to call later.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »

I just called:

Washington, D.C. Office - 2371 Rayburn HOB - Washington, DC 20515 - (202) 225-4965

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24:21 AM »
Ok rachet it up.....post the phone call......i can just imagine what they said to u.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
Ok rachet it up.....post the phone call......i can just imagine what they said to u.

I got some obviously gay male on the phone and let him have it and he threw me into voicemail.

Ha ha.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:41:07 AM »
Imagine that, if anybody else calls ask her how she likes being responsible for sinking the US auto industry with that ridiculous state by state emmision stands and now the economy standards. Great job dems...people will hold on to more pollution friendly cars and Detroit will go out of business permanently.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
Tax Cuts have worked great so far

Why is the only Repug "solution" to every problem more tax cuts?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 08:54:02 AM »
Tax Cuts have worked great so far

Why is the only Repug "solution" to every problem more tax cuts?

Tax cuts did not cause the mess we are in fool. 

Its about giving money back to people who create jobs and buy stuff.

Taxing people more to fund welfare is a horrible idea.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 08:58:31 AM »
Tax cuts did not cause the mess we are in fool. 

Its about giving money back to people who create jobs and buy stuff.

Taxing people more to fund welfare is a horrible idea.   

lol - you seem angry

Tax cuts have been the Repugs only answer to every problem for the last 25 years.

Tax cuts won't help people put food on their table and it won't help people pay their rent.

Tax cuts, out of control borrowing and spending by Repugs have greatly contributed to our current global shitstorm (oh yeah and the sink hole of money in Iraq that was supposed to be wrapped up in the first six months and pay for itself too - that hasn't helped)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 09:04:09 AM »
lol - you seem angry

Tax cuts have been the Repugs only answer to every problem for the last 25 years.

Tax cuts won't help people put food on their table and it won't help people pay their rent.

Tax cuts, out of control borrowing and spending by Repugs have greatly contributed to our current global shitstorm (oh yeah and the sink hole of money in Iraq that was supposed to be wrapped up in the first six months and pay for itself too - that hasn't helped)

If you take less money out of peoples check each week that does help put food on the table. 

How do you stimulate new jobs with food stamps?  How does that work?

This whole plan is a lie and is not a stimulus plan, it is a welfare plan and they should be honest about it. 

But they wont because Obama, Pelosi, and the rest of thieves in DC are liars, frauds, cheats, crooks, and con artists.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »
If you take less money out of peoples check each week that does help put food on the table. 

How do you stimulate new jobs with food stamps?  How does that work?

This whole plan is a lie and is not a stimulus plan, it is a welfare plan and they should be honest about it. 

But they wont because Obama, Pelosi, and the rest of thieves in DC are liars, frauds, cheats, crooks, and con artists.

you've got to attack the problem on multiple fronts and in ways that address both immediate concerns and long-terms solutions.  Tax cuts are fine but so are things like Food Stamp and even free contraception for poor people.  It's all part of the solution.   There are LOT's of things we can do besides giving rich people tax cuts and then hoping somehow they will solve all the problems

Personally, I think the bank  bailout plan is a big scam (and in reality probably even worse) and whatever solutions we try to implement there should be complete oversight and transparency and no sacred cows

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
Soooo.... How does food stamps and unemployment stimullate the economy??

Paying people to not work is a stimulus???

Sounds like more liberal bullshit to me...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »
Soooo.... How does food stamps and unemployment stimullate the economy??

Paying people to not work is a stimulus???

Sounds like more liberal bullshit to me...

it doesn't stimulate the economy - never said it did.  It ameliorates accute problems.  It's only 1 part of the proposed solution.

Personally, I've paid into unemployment my entire life but I've never collected it once, even when my business was so slow that I was effectively unemployed.   I've had times in early adult life when I collected my spare change to buy food but I've never been on food stamps.  Still I don't look down my nose at people who need these things.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »
Very, Very few people 'need' foodstamps and welfare. You tell me why those 10 mexican women in line in front of me 'need' foodstamps.

Certian people will always 'need' handouts until you make getting a job and supporting yourself more preferable than being useless. Few in this class anymore have any personal integtrity of pride, and welfare pays more than most jobs 'the type' can get, so there is no reason to not take the freebee cash.

I'd bet you 85% of people on continous welfare could make their way if they absolutly had to....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »
I am so sick of this pity party.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »
Wow.  This is hands down one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a politician say. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »
Wow.  This is hands down one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a politician say. 

Dude, I am self employed, and things are tough, but I would NEVER take welfare.  I will grab my rifle and go hunt for food before taking food stamps.

Its just an overall mentality.

I have been through lean times, and it sucks, but perseverance, toughness, and grit are what works in the long run, not welfare and a collective "oh woe is me" by a bunch of wimps.

Of course things suck, but toughen up, man up, and get it done.   

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Look at the class of people your dealing with.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 10:27:14 AM »
Look at the class of people your dealing with.

Its really disheartening to see how pitiful many of these people are on this board.  they would rather go on welfare and food stamps than man up and knock on doors for employment.