Author Topic: What carbs should i be eating to avoid gluten?  (Read 1573 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
What carbs should i be eating to avoid gluten?
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:57:59 PM »
As we are all bodybuilders of some sort on this board, we eat carbs.

What carbs should I be sticking with if I can't eat my oatmeal!!?!?!   

My general sources are plain instant oatmeal,  and instant brown rice. 

Any help?   What carbs should i be turning to?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: What carbs should i be eating to avoid gluten?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »

I'm sure oatmeal isn't your issue, rice either.  WHEAT gluten is a likely suspect.  You could do a search on "gluten free diets".  You could have a food allergy  :-\ ??? Who knows.  A lot of people are allergic to dairy too.
:

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »

my first questions is = why do you assume all bodybuilders eat carbs ?

my second question is = why cant you eat oatmeal?

my third question is = what are you looking for by changing your source of carbs?

my fourth question is = what are you trying to do with your body at the moment, and what is your fat and protein intake?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:44:53 AM »
Beans of all kinds (except the kind in brown sugar & tomato sauce).  Dry is cheaper but canned is easier.  Chick peas and similar large sizes never seem to rehydrate well for me so I always get them canned.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:48:32 AM »

I'm sure oatmeal isn't your issue, rice either.  WHEAT gluten is a likely suspect.  You could do a search on "gluten free diets".  You could have a food allergy  :-\ ??? Who knows.  A lot of people are allergic to dairy too.

so you think i can still eat the oatmeal and brown rice, both instant?  Just concerned about complexion and breakouts. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:27:26 AM »
so you think i can still eat the oatmeal and brown rice, both instant?  Just concerned about complexion and breakouts. 

Some people with celiac get bad reactions to things other than gluten, although it's rare.  Maybe time to talk to a doc?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:29:39 AM »

Acne is often times caused by food allergies. The only way you're ever going to know if you have food allergies is by seeing an allergist.  Short of that, you might want to experiment for a week or two and see what happens.  Eliminate suspecting foods and then slowly introduce them back in one by one.

Post your basic daily diet.  Maybe we will see something glaring.
:

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »

Acne is often times caused by food allergies. The only way you're ever going to know if you have food allergies is by seeing an allergist.  Short of that, you might want to experiment for a week or two and see what happens.  Eliminate suspecting foods and then slowly introduce them back in one by one.

Post your basic daily diet.  Maybe we will see something glaring.

My diet, which doesn't stray much ever:

meal one:  a few packets of instant oatmeal (eaten raw) and 2 scoops of whey with water
meal two:  can of tuna, instant brown rice, green veggies (either spinach outta a can or some other raw veggie)
meal three:  either chicken tenderloins (boiled) and eaten plain, instant brown rice, olive oil
meal four:  post workout drink--2 scoops whey, 12oz grape juice, creatine
meal five:  either cottage cheese and some sort of fat, either avocado or peanut butter. 

I know i need to up my fat intake...  my diet is basic and plain and has more veggies added in most meals.. just didn't list.  They are cooked plain. 

When i eat the oatmeal, it is usually about 4 packets...   sometimes my rice gets subbed for the oatmeal too... so somedays i may eat up to 12 packets of raw instant oatmeal.. but raw i mean i don't cook it... just drink it down with some water.

my supps:  4g arginine in morning, multivitamin, whey, creatine, garlic caps..

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »
Just grasping at straws here  :-\ Could be a zinc deficiency  ??? Eating raw grains can cause some minerals not to be absorbed very well.  While dry oatmeal isn't totally raw (it's steamed), the amount your eating could be inhibiting nutrient absorption and also be causing an imbalance of eicosanoids. Just a little more variety (fruits, vegs, sweet potato, legumes, etc.) and some fish oil might help.  Might want to try cooking at least some of the oatmeal too.

Remember, skin is an organ...
:

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 01:01:36 PM »
Just grasping at straws here  :-\ Could be a zinc deficiency  ??? Eating raw grains can cause some minerals not to be absorbed very well.  While dry oatmeal isn't totally raw (it's steamed), the amount your eating could be inhibiting nutrient absorption and also be causing an imbalance of eicosanoids. Just a little more variety (fruits, vegs, sweet potato, legumes, etc.) and some fish oil might help.  Might want to try cooking at least some of the oatmeal too.

Remember, skin is an organ...

truly great advice.  I am going to start incorporating some different carb sources, namely sweet pots..  it's just the oatmeal is quick and easy, and i can take it with me.. i'm an attorney who is in and out of court..  this is the easiest way in not having dishes! 

I do take ZMA at night re your thoughts on zinc def. 

Thank you so much.  People should really respect the fact that FREE advice is given on this site and appreciate that. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »
sweet potatoes
DAWG

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »
coltrane you should add some fats to meal one or two or both.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 06:43:39 AM »
coltrane you should add some fats to meal one or two or both.

i have been.  Trying to up fats..  I find myself really neglecting them.  I've been doing more mixed nuts and avocadoes..   sex drive has been down.. and i think this may have a lot to do with it... although i'm 30

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »
i have been.  Trying to up fats..  I find myself really neglecting them.  I've been doing more mixed nuts and avocadoes..   sex drive has been down.. and i think this may have a lot to do with it... although i'm 30

give this a read =
http://www.muscle-building.com/anabolic_diet.html

heres a snippet =
Monday through Friday

Eat a diet consisting of 60% fat, 35% protein, and only 5% carbs. You'll get the fat and protein mainly from steak, hamburger, eggs, and fish. Turkey, chicken, and tuna are all okay, but the password here is red meat. You'll also eat full-fat cheeses, pepperoni, sausage, and certain nuts. The key is to generally avoid carbohydrates, eating only around 30 grams a day.

As for calories, the Anabolic diet has three phases—maintenance or start-up, mass, and cutting. We'll focus here on the start-up phase, which allows a person to gain some muscle and lose some fat. During this phase, which lasts about three to four weeks, you keep the macronutrient ratios above and eat calories equivalent to 18 times your bodyweight. In other words, a 200-pound male would consume 3,600 calories per day. The next two phases will simply manipulate those numbers while keeping the same 60/35/5 ratios. The start-up phase ends once your body has adjusted—in other words, you can shit without Metamucil and small pieces of plastic explosives—and has gone through the "metabolic shift."

Saturday and Sunday

Switch gears. On the weekends, eat 30% fat, 10% protein, and a whopping 60% carbs! Bring on the pizza, beer, and cheap sluts!

Note: Cheap sluts were suggested by TC, not Dr. DiPasquale.

Almost anything goes on the weekend. DiPasquale only cautions against taking this carb-loading period overboard and making yourself sick. The weekend food festival is important for many reasons, but the best thing is that it allows you to go out and be sociable like you normally would on the weekend, instead of sitting back and watching your friends have fun while you scan the pathetic "lite" section of the menu. This has a powerful psychological effect. For one, you know that you'll get to satisfy any craving you have during the week on the weekend, making it much easier to stick with the diet.

you can download the book... "the anabolic diet" by mario dipasquale

you should try out this diet sometime....very good for building muscle naturally and keeping testosterone and gh naturally high

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »
Thanks Tbombz/candi.  Your advice is well appreciated.

Being 30, i'm kinda switching gears.  In your early to mid 20's, most of us want to be strong and big.   Now, being a little older, i want to stay lean and look good.  Not some much concerned about being super strong.  Just wanna look good for 30.  I have a good deal of muscle mass.. but instead of using it for strength, i wanna use it just to look good.

That is why my diet is kinda low in cals.  Trying to keep off those extra pounds (that one would want if trying to stay strong).  Follow?   

Thanks for your advice bud!

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »
my first questions is = why do you assume all bodybuilders eat carbs ?

Everyone eats carbs.  :P
S

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 01:14:04 AM »
give this a read =
http://www.muscle-building.com/anabolic_diet.html

heres a snippet =
Monday through Friday

Eat a diet consisting of 60% fat, 35% protein, and only 5% carbs. You'll get the fat and protein mainly from steak, hamburger, eggs, and fish. Turkey, chicken, and tuna are all okay, but the password here is red meat. You'll also eat full-fat cheeses, pepperoni, sausage, and certain nuts. The key is to generally avoid carbohydrates, eating only around 30 grams a day.

As for calories, the Anabolic diet has three phases—maintenance or start-up, mass, and cutting. We'll focus here on the start-up phase, which allows a person to gain some muscle and lose some fat. During this phase, which lasts about three to four weeks, you keep the macronutrient ratios above and eat calories equivalent to 18 times your bodyweight. In other words, a 200-pound male would consume 3,600 calories per day. The next two phases will simply manipulate those numbers while keeping the same 60/35/5 ratios. The start-up phase ends once your body has adjusted—in other words, you can shit without Metamucil and small pieces of plastic explosives—and has gone through the "metabolic shift."

Saturday and Sunday

Switch gears. On the weekends, eat 30% fat, 10% protein, and a whopping 60% carbs! Bring on the pizza, beer, and cheap sluts!

Note: Cheap sluts were suggested by TC, not Dr. DiPasquale.

Almost anything goes on the weekend. DiPasquale only cautions against taking this carb-loading period overboard and making yourself sick. The weekend food festival is important for many reasons, but the best thing is that it allows you to go out and be sociable like you normally would on the weekend, instead of sitting back and watching your friends have fun while you scan the pathetic "lite" section of the menu. This has a powerful psychological effect. For one, you know that you'll get to satisfy any craving you have during the week on the weekend, making it much easier to stick with the diet.

you can download the book... "the anabolic diet" by mario dipasquale

you should try out this diet sometime....very good for building muscle naturally and keeping testosterone and gh naturally high

That diet sounds delicious. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
That diet sounds delicious. 
oh, i think so too.  im doing the same thing now, except i drink carbs before and during my workout.   but lots of eggs, cheese, steak, high fat beef and hamburgers, did i mention cheese? melted cheese?,  lots of cashews and macadamiun nuts, sausages, bacon, yum yum yum

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »
oh, i think so too.  im doing the same thing now, except i drink carbs before and during my workout.   but lots of eggs, cheese, steak, high fat beef and hamburgers, did i mention cheese? melted cheese?,  lots of cashews and macadamiun nuts, sausages, bacon, yum yum yum

That's definitely my type of food man.  Do green veggies like brocolli count as carbs in this diet?