Author Topic: need a new rifle  (Read 2235 times)

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
need a new rifle
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »
so I have the opportunity to either buy a 7mm Remington or a 300 Ruger I am not sure what I want I am going to use it for hunting deer and bear in the NC mountains. any suggestions? both have a nice scope and I can get either for about 600$. any hunters here what do you suggest?Which will be better for long range and shorter shots gotta have something that will do both b/c of the terrain I am in.  I have shot a lot of guns but neither one of these for some reason

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: need a new rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
so I have the opportunity to either buy a 7mm Remington or a 300 Ruger I am not sure what I want I am going to use it for hunting deer and bear in the NC mountains. any suggestions? both have a nice scope and I can get either for about 600$. any hunters here what do you suggest?Which will be better for long range and shorter shots gotta have something that will do both b/c of the terrain I am in.  I have shot a lot of guns but neither one of these for some reason
what model remington is it? im not sure about the ruger i dont have really any experience with rugers.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »
pass on both and go get a 300 win mag.. that is my opinion.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
pass on both and go get a 300 win mag.. that is my opinion.

sorry I didnt indicate a 300 win mag. I know there is a difference but I just didnt mention it. The 7mm is an ultra mag aswell not sure about either model. Is the 7mm ultra mag that much different from the 7mm? I just got into hunting last year and really dont know all the differences I hear the recoil on the 7mm ultra is about 50% more than the 7mm but the knock down power is about 25% greater. and if you know the diff. between a 300 and a 300 win mag would be good as well. This is a tough decision for me because it will be the only rifle I buy this year

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:14:51 PM »
sorry I didnt indicate a 300 win mag. I know there is a difference but I just didnt mention it. The 7mm is an ultra mag aswell not sure about either model. Is the 7mm ultra mag that much different from the 7mm? I just got into hunting last year and really dont know all the differences I hear the recoil on the 7mm ultra is about 50% more than the 7mm but the knock down power is about 25% greater. and if you know the diff. between a 300 and a 300 win mag would be good as well. This is a tough decision for me because it will be the only rifle I buy this year
i would definitly find out the models that each gun is before you make a decision i have a friend who hunts with a 7 mag im not sure what model rifle he shoots but he really likes it. I wouldnt worry about recoil that much if its real bad you can put a muzzle break on it and a pad to lessen the recoil. Ive never hunted bear before so im afraid i could tell you much about that the 7 mag is definitly enough to take down any white tail though.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »
both are good, however i think you will have more options with the 300 when it comes to the choices in weight.  7mm doesn't give you as many options.

rkw1969

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:50:14 PM »
get ya a short action type rifle in .308. get somethin around 7 to eight lb rifle. you gonna get tired of humping a heavy ass rifle in that terrain. bigger aint always better and they wont know they was shot with anything different.

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »
one question

does bear meat taste any good?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »
one question

does bear meat taste any good?
good question

get ya a short action type rifle in .308. get somethin around 7 to eight lb rifle. you gonna get tired of humping a heavy ass rifle in that terrain. bigger aint always better and they wont know they was shot with anything different.
Iono about hunting bear but the only thing ive ever hunted that ive had to carry my gun around for extended periods of time is turkey. Deer in general is hunted from a stand or blind or some stationary place, if your running round making noise unless you are some distance off the deer is gonna get spooked and run off.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:33:55 AM »
i have a 30-06 that i use with a tripod mount.  I like the 30-06 because i can take out deer and just increase the bullet weight to be able to take down certain bear.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »
all things being what they are both rifles have there pluses. I think both will have 23" barrels, If its the older 700 Rem BDL, its a wonderful rifle, and if its last years or newer Rugar its also a great rifle. i would see which ones fits you better. Place the buttstock in the crook of your elbow and see where you finger rests- the second fold of your trigger finger should be on the trigger but it can be adjusted since both guns will have a thick recoil pad.

Off the top of my head the 7mmUM throws a 150gr bullet about rought 3500fp of muzzel energy and the 300Winmag about about 4000fp with a similar weight. The advantage goes to the 300 in choice of bullet  weights. To be honest both are a bit of an over kill for deer and the average black bear but if you can get one at a good price I might take the 7mm for lesser recoil. I have only shot the 300win mag 3 times and it kicks like a mule.
X

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »
guns kill people and are dangerous so go buy a nice vegan sandwich... ;D

Really the remington 700 is the base model for the m40a1 marine corp sniper rifle and you can't go wrong with a fine scope and something in the 300 win mag power range. To many people buy to much weapon then never think of what could be behind there target when they punch through at 100-200 yards. better to take less power and price and upgrade the scope and spend the extra on range time to practice getting the correct dope on the weapon.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 06:57:24 PM »
all things being what they are both rifles have there pluses. I think both will have 23" barrels, If its the older 700 Rem BDL, its a wonderful rifle, and if its last years or newer Rugar its also a great rifle. i would see which ones fits you better. Place the buttstock in the crook of your elbow and see where you finger rests- the second fold of your trigger finger should be on the trigger but it can be adjusted since both guns will have a thick recoil pad.

Off the top of my head the 7mmUM throws a 150gr bullet about rought 3500fp of muzzel energy and the 300Winmag about about 4000fp with a similar weight. The advantage goes to the 300 in choice of bullet  weights. To be honest both are a bit of an over kill for deer and the average black bear but if you can get one at a good price I might take the 7mm for lesser recoil. I have only shot the 300win mag 3 times and it kicks like a mule.

thanks I heard the 300 win is a beast. I am leaning towards a 7mm because it fits me better not that heavy and good range.

someone ask about bear meat, its not bad real greasy, very good in a a stew or soup dont think I could eat it by its self. Elk is very good a buddy of mine brought some back from a hunt, super lean and you can eat it rare which is good for m.e had me a good, about 14oz steak rare ;D

I will let you know what I get and post a pic. soon I hope, I think I am going to buy one next week when I go to GA

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 07:36:35 AM »
Can't go wrong with a Savage in 30-06.  Not the prettiest rifle but it gets the job done, and is very light. 

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »
Scooter, have you thought about the 7mm.08? Same power as the 7mm but with a little less kick.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
Scooter, have you thought about the 7mm.08? Same power as the 7mm but with a little less kick.

no I havent but looking at it looks like good muzzle velocity and energy. I am worried because I want something bigger than my 30-30 with more knockdown power it looks like the 7mm.08 is about twice a powerful at 200yds (which is prob. the longest distance I will be shooting) and about 1/4 more muzzle velocity. do you hunt with this how is it if I want to hunt larger game? or longer shots?  How much should I expect to pay for one?

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 05:20:22 AM »
I havent hunted with it but I have a good friend who has one and he loves it. He uses the 139GR Hornady rounds and says its great for deer. Im not sure how it would be for bigger game. Its a Model 7 but I have no idea what he paid for it. Sorry.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »
I have a 7mm.08 in a Remington 700BDL and its a great gun the only gripe I had was the lack of bullet choices ( same with my beloved .270). Very similar to the .280 (7mm express some call it) I would hardly call the 7mm.08 a light kicking gun since its recoil is about that of a 30/06. It is a dependable and accurate casing

If you're looking for a nice long range caliber the 270WSM is very nice. Velocity and muzzle energy are both well over 3000 fps/fp and its a very light kicking gun and highly accurate. Of course the old stand by is hard to beat 30/06 great caliber lots of cartridge choices!
X