Author Topic: Individual wrestler stories requests for Karl  (Read 5745 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Individual wrestler stories requests for Karl
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:32:37 AM »
Hey Karl, I thought it might be cool for us to bounce names off of you and you can just pass along things about individuals....

How about Wahoo McDaniels?

Any info on the Gino Hernandez/Tully Blanchard early years?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Re: Individual wrestler stories requests for Karl
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »
Hey Karl, I thought it might be cool for us to bounce names off of you and you can just pass along things about individuals....

How about Wahoo McDaniels?

Any info on the Gino Hernandez/Tully Blanchard early years?

According to my old man Wahoo was very tuff.  He used to play for the Jets, which made most of the boys respect him, the same with Ernie Ladd.  Him and my old man caused a riot one night.  They did a angle where this real Indian Chief presented Wahoo with this beautiful Indian head dress mad of feathers.  During the ceremony my old man came out and destroyed it.  Tore it to pieces.  Wahoo seat in the ring a cried.  The fans were so angry my dad could barley get back to the locker room.  I think Wahoo did that same angle with a few guys in diffrent territories.  I remember when he died a few years back of some kidneys problem I think my old man was real upset.

Gino Hernandez was a big name in Dallas, but he never really impressed me.  There were rumors with the boys that he was gay, not sure how true they are.  His gimmick to me was kinda a rip off of what the 4 horsmen represented. There was a lot of controversy around his death.  He supposedly Over dosed, but some think he was givin a bad needle full of shit cause he owed some one money or something.  The whole World Class Locker room at the time was into heavy drugs. That really sad.

Tully Blanchard on the other hand I think was very under rated. He was great on the mic and in the ring.  but he too had a drug problem.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:11:40 AM »
bump

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:43:17 AM »
Has your dad have any stories on the following guys

Terry Funk

Harley Race

Stan Hansen

Bruiser Brody

Also does he have any stories of any tours abroad?

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »

Stan Hansen was a very stiff worker in the ring, partly because he was pretty much blind without his glasses,so it was hard for him to gauge his shots. If I did this link correctly this match between him & Vader in Japan was one of the stiffest matches I've seen. Around 2:20 mark Hansen nails Vader several shots to his eye & a min or two later Vader takes his mask off (big no-no in Japan) & his eye almost pops out.Later Vader lifts Hansens arm & hits him low in the ribs & if you listen carefully, you can hear the rib snap over the roar of the crowd. One of the stiffest matches I've ever seen.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »
Has your dad have any stories on the following guys

Terry Funk

Harley Race

Stan Hansen

Bruiser Brody

Also does he have any stories of any tours abroad?

I have a shoot interview on tape that a guy did whith my old man when I find it I'm gonna post it, he tells a lot of stories about being on the road with Funk.    I'm gonna ask him about those guys and post it.

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 01:41:45 PM »
That will be absolutely awesome - cant wait to see it.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »
 I asked my old man this stuff really quick just cause I never have.

Nicest person in the bussines  -  Everyone was nice back then we all liked each other with the exception of a few.  We were like a big family.

Best Promoter - Eddie Graham, and Giant Baba.

Best paying Promoter - Bill Watts.  (He told me a funny story which I will post soon about Watts.)

Worst Paying Promoter -  Fritz Von Erich

Biggest Ass Hole of a promoter - Fritz Von Erich. ( I did not expect him to say antthing diffrent)

Best Friend in the Business - Dick Murdoch and Mark Lewin

Best Match - I had so many. I took great pride in having a good match. I loved it when I would get back in the dressing room and everyone would come up and say hey man good match.  Theres just too many.

Strongest Person in the Ring - everyone I was week ( he laughed) I would say Murdoch. The bastered did not realize how strong he was. He would throw me around like a bail of hay.

Who did you dislike the most - Abdulah The Butcher

Best in ring performer from your time - Funk, Murdoch, Rhodes, Jack Brisco, Flair was just coming up but he surpassed us all I think.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »
I've never seen anything nice said or written about Fritz.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »
I've never seen anything nice said or written about Fritz.

I know thats kinda sad. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 04:18:09 PM »

I know thats kinda sad. 

What do you think about Trevor Murdoch? When I first saw him I figured he was Dickie's son. Then I wikied him and it turns out he isn't related. Apparently, it was Vince's idea.

Seems wrong to me.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »
What do you think about Trevor Murdoch? When I first saw him I figured he was Dickie's son. Then I wikied him and it turns out he isn't related. Apparently, it was Vince's idea.

Seems wrong to me.

Yeah but I don't think they ever said it was Murdochs son.   Murdochs son who looks a lot like Tevor I don't think has ever wrestled.  he is in one of the pics I posted from Murdochs ranch when I was a kid.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 09:20:19 AM »
Story About Watts my old man told me yesterday :

Watts would fly  Murdoch and my dad to Tennessee every Weekend to film TV.  One day after the matches Watts wanted them to come to his house so they could see his new pool.  When they got there my dad said he immediately went to over  the diving board walked out to the end and started pissing in the pool.  Watts said  "hey what are you doing"?  My old man replied  " all the money I have made you, I payed for it, I will pee in it if I want to. "

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »
Thats funny as hell ;D

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »
Story About Watts my old man told me yesterday :

Watts would fly  Murdoch and my dad to Tennessee every Weekend to film TV.  One day after the matches Watts wanted them to come to his house so they could see his new pool.  When they got there my dad said he immediately went to over to the diving board walked out to the end and started pissing in the pool.  Watts said  "hey what are you doing"?  My old man replied  " all the money I have made you, I payed for it, I will pee in it if I want to. "

I spat out my orange juice on my screen there  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 01:22:32 PM »
hahaha great story about your dad.  He had/has to be a trip to be around.  Very cool.

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 01:31:17 PM »
Id have given anything to have worked in that era instead of the bullshit political scene that is wrestling today. In the indy scene now there is no businessmen or very few honourable workers, just a boatload of egotistical wankers who only give a shit about what moves they can do in the match and sucking promoters cock to make sure they go over....pathetic.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
Id have given anything to have worked in that era instead of the bullshit political scene that is wrestling today. In the indy scene now there is no businessmen or very few honourable workers, just a boatload of egotistical wankers who only give a shit about what moves they can do in the match and sucking promoters cock to make sure they go over....pathetic.

I hate that for you Ruffneck.  I think the wrestling business is hurt by a number of things today...over exposure, corporate interests, the "high-spot" fests replacing a match that tells a story, are just a few.
I always thought I would love to do it, but I'm too old a broken down now!  haha Maybe I could start a Randy the Ram career?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »
What about Chyna? What went wrong with her? How come She never came back or went to TNA?

Cause she is a drug addict and a alcoholic.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »
Any stories on Rick Martel

Tom Zenk

Superstar (he mentions your dad in his book)

Jesse Ventura?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 11:13:08 PM »
Any stories on Rick Martel

Tom Zenk

Superstar (he mentions your dad in his book)

Jesse Ventura?

What did he say in his book ?

One time a little riot broke out (not sure where) and who ever was wrestling could not get back to the dressing room from the ring.  My old man and Jessie Ventura were watching it all from behind the curton. My old man was smoking a cigarette. There was a fat reded headed guy that was there week after week that my dad wanted to get his hands on.  After watching the security lose control of the crowd my old man had had enough.  He flicked the cigarette and walked out the curton and grabbed the fat red head and punched him right in the face. It cleared the way for the other wrestler to get threw.  When my old man got back Ventura said   
" just like John Wayne . "

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 05:55:30 AM »

One time a little riot broke out (not sure where) and who ever was wrestling could not get back to the dressing room from the ring.  My old man and Jessie Ventura were watching it all from behind the curton. My old man was smoking a cigarette. There was a fat reded headed guy that was there week after week that my dad wanted to get his hands on.  After watching the security lose control of the crowd my old man had had enough.  He flicked the cigarette and walked out the curton and grabbed the fat red head and punched him right in the face. It cleared the way for the other wrestler to get threw.  When my old man got back Ventura said   

haha, awesome.  I'm sure Ventura loved it.  The old school guys were cut from a different cloth for sure.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »

He was at some event as a spectator before he got into the business and your dad was trying to get through the crowd and bumped into some pregnant woman who fell and Supertar took exception to this and tried to get into it with your old man and almost got arrested (cops arrested him then let him go with a warning)...later that night he saw your old man in the back and looked at him and your dad didn't have the slightest clue who he was...he says something like looking back he was a huge "mark"

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »
He was at some event as a spectator before he got into the business and your dad was trying to get through the crowd and bumped into some pregnant woman who fell and Supertar took exception to this and tried to get into it with your old man and almost got arrested (cops arrested him then let him go with a warning)...later that night he saw your old man in the back and looked at him and your dad didn't have the slightest clue who he was...he says something like looking back he was a huge "mark"

Lots of spectators tried my old man they always went to jail either before or after a ass whipping.   If the cops graped somebody for throwing something at a wrestler they would always take them into the dressing room first to see if any of the wrestlers wanted a piece of them.  haha

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »
Your dad ever work with Dr. Jerry Graham? I heard he was just about the craziest wrestler to ever live