Author Topic: Republicans Pick Steele as Next Party Chairman  (Read 7253 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Republicans Pick Steele as Next Party Chairman
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
Good choice. 

Republicans Pick Steele as Next Party Chairman
Michael Steele, the former Maryland lieutenant governor, wins the chairmanship after six rounds of voting in which five candidates were competing. 

FOXNews.com

Friday, January 30, 2009

The Republican National Committee has picked Michael Steele, a black man from a traditionally Democratic state, to be the new face of the party as the GOP forges a revival following a second straight electoral drubbing.

Steele, a former Maryland lieutenant governor, won the chairmanship Friday after six rounds of voting in which five candidates were competing. He becomes the first black chairman of the Republican Party just days after President Obama became the nation's first black president.

Steele delivered a rousing speech after winning the race, pledging to re-establish the Republican presence in the northeast and win elections in regions across the country.

"It's time for something completely different, and we're gonna bring it to them," he said. "Get ready, baby. It's time to turn it on."

Steele said he would work to build the party to an unprecedented level and warned: "For those of you who wish to obstruct, get ready to get knocked down."

Outgoing Chairman Mike Duncan dropped his bid for a second term after the third round of voting. South Carolina GOP Chairman Katon Dawson had emerged as Steele's top challenger, but Steele won with 91 votes to Dawson's 77.

Voting lasted for hours because no candidate was able to rack up the majority of votes necessary. A candidate needs 85 of 168 votes to win, which Steele eventually attained.

Ken Blackwell, Ohio's former secretary of state, and Saul Anuzis, Michigan GOP chairman, dropped their bids before the final round of voting.

Steele ran unsuccessfully for Senate in Maryland in 2006, and later headed up GOPAC, the Republican recruiting arm. He is a frequent media commentator, on FOX News and other outlets, and has touted that experience as one of his credentials. In a recent interview with FOXNews.com, he also said his political upbringing in a liberal stronghold of Maryland had toughened him.

The results in the early rounds Friday signaled that many Republicans were eager for new leadership, after suffering double-digit losses in congressional elections for the second time in a row in November and losing the White House. Steele lagged Duncan by just six votes in the first round Friday, but the second round had them tied and Steele led Duncan 51-to-44 votes in the third round, after which Duncan dropped out.

"Obviously the winds of change are blowing," Duncan said as he withdrew from the race and got a standing ovation. The Kentucky Republican thanked former President George W. Bush and said of his two-year tenure: "It truly has been the highlight of my life."

Another candidate, former Tennessee GOP Chairman Chip Saltsman, dropped out of the race on Thursday with little explanation, saying only in a letter to RNC members: "I have decided to withdraw my candidacy."

Saltsman, who ran former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee's failed presidential campaign last year, was considered a long-shot candidate who several Republican officials said likely wouldn't have had enough support even to be formally nominated had he continued his bid.

It faltered in December after he drew controversy for mailing a 41-track CD to committee members that included a song titled "Barack the Magic Negro" by conservative comedian Paul Shanklin and sung to the music of "Puff, the Magic Dragon."

Steele had criticized Saltsman for the mailing.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/30/republicans-pick-new-party-chief/

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Republicans Pick Steele as Next Party Chairman
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »
All I can say is ROFL!
S

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
All I can say is ROFL!

He is too milquetoast for my liking.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:44:18 PM »
........... ::)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »
hahahahahaha

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
I don't know if they are trying to fight "Black with Black", but trust me, M. Steele is NO One's dummy. You may just be looking at a future President right there.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »
Steele is an idiot douchbag. Beachbum likes him, so I proved my point.

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
I don't know if they are trying to fight "Black with Black", but trust me, M. Steele is NO One's dummy. You may just be looking at a future President right there.

Now THAT would be a great choice.

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:29:38 PM »

Why? Because you love to pay taxes out the ass, put National security at risk? you love to be forced to give your money away? (I could go on forever)

Que the lib meatheads on here to try to dig up dirt on Steel and take it out of context like the lib media.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:35:35 PM »

Trust me he's no idiot, yeah so his sister married Mike Tyson.  But when Erhlich picked Steele he was making a shrewd move. So much so that Dems voted for Erhlich and Steele, instead of Martin O'malley (who was entrenched in a scandal involving a Baltimore News reporter who was almost killed for alledgedly being preggers with O'malley's Child---he's in Baltimore, she's in New York, and was almost hit by a  Lincoln Town Car-witha reinforced bumper).

Steele as Md Lt. Governor was VERY active in Policy, unlike the current black Lt. Gov. who was used as ploy to garner black votes.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:09 PM »
Why? Because you love to pay taxes out the ass, put National security at risk? you love to be forced to give your money away? (I could go on forever)

Que the lib meatheads on here to try to dig up dirt on Steel and take it out of context like the lib media.

Ok Coach, you convinced me. He's swell.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »

O Rly?  And what makes him an "idiot douchbag"? 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »
O Rly?  And what makes him an "idiot douchbag"? 

I don't think he's any different than any of the other Republican that helped put the party in the situation it's in now. He's a NEO CON shill.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
I don't think he's any different than any of the other Republican that helped put the party in the situation it's in now. He's a NEO CON shill.

And your opinion is based on what? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 11:44:15 PM »
steele is clean as a whistle, record-wise.  He'll win senate seat in 2010 without blinking.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 12:25:36 AM »
steele is clean as a whistle, record-wise.  He'll win senate seat in 2010 without blinking.

Yep, and he's a moderate.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 05:34:56 AM »
The GOP needs to stop thinking it can pander to racial groups to get votes.  That is what the RATS do. 

The GOP needs to rename itself the 1776 party or freedom party and get back to small govt, small taxes, and freedom.

Its plainly obvious that the RATS only offer shackles and chains at this point and the GOP will do not good offering slavery-light.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 06:54:31 AM »
333...I had to look that damn word up!  Nice.

I really like to Steele.  He has more of a laid back approach, which I like, but I understand your criticizm.

I listen Steele on Friday mornings on the radio.  He is excellent.  Extremely positive person and very humble, smart and rational.  He is NOT a Rush Limbaugh so will be attractive to more moderates like myself.  He is a conservative principled guy but not the typical GOP person we've seen in the past.  Steele is an excellent speaker and can communicate well, unlike many in the party.

Overall, excellent choice.  I hope this man goes far.  Love his positive and non-militaristic partisan attitude.  We have too much shouting in politics.  Steele is will help the party.  I hate pandering too but hope he will attract more blacks to the party.  Principles are color blind and republicans need to get back to the defining principles of limited government and protecting personal freedoms (ie Ron Paul).  Enough pandering to the far right.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 09:47:02 AM »
333...I had to look that damn word up!  Nice.

I really like to Steele.  He has more of a laid back approach, which I like, but I understand your criticizm.

I listen Steele on Friday mornings on the radio.  He is excellent.  Extremely positive person and very humble, smart and rational.  He is NOT a Rush Limbaugh so will be attractive to more moderates like myself.  He is a conservative principled guy but not the typical GOP person we've seen in the past.  Steele is an excellent speaker and can communicate well, unlike many in the party.

Overall, excellent choice.  I hope this man goes far.  Love his positive and non-militaristic partisan attitude.  We have too much shouting in politics.  Steele is will help the party.  I hate pandering too but hope he will attract more blacks to the party.  Principles are color blind and republicans need to get back to the defining principles of limited government and protecting personal freedoms (ie Ron Paul).  Enough pandering to the far right.

If any of you guys watched all the debates during the elections, you would know which positions he endorses and which ones he doesnt through his commentary. You want more years of a Bush type presidency or a McCain in the White House, than go for it, he had no porblems endorsing those types of positions during that time. If he's talking another story now, than he isnt  anything but a politican changing his stripes to spots to win votes.

This is like Palin all over again. Trust me he aint Ron PAul, seeing as he got a good laugh outta Ron with a Hannity mockfest a while back but then tried to turn it around and win support by giving props to Ron. Bullshitter.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 06:35:59 AM »
bwahahahahahahahaaaaa

GOP are such hypocrites.  The nation elects a black man and it is all because of the "race vote".   ::)  (loser ass excuse)
The RNC elects a black man and it is about "best qualified."

RNC seems to be having their own YES WE CAN! moment.  bunch of tards.  Having to copy the Dems at every corner.

Steele is all about Steele.  He puppets to no one but himself, which isn't a good thing.  But I support him for no other reason than he isn't down with the conservative crowd and the Jesus Zombies don't like him.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 06:48:29 AM »
I don't know everything about the guy but when I listen to him he makes a lot of sense and is very likeable.  Some of the recent republicans in the national spotlight aren't very good with communicating, he is.  Most republicans back the republican candidate when its down to election time.

A great communicator can make potentially harmful ideas sound much better...ie our new president.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 08:07:07 AM »
They are headed in the right direction.  ::) What a lost cause.

Steele to appoint anti-Ron Paul hack Anuzis to RNC position.

Michigan party chairman Saul Anuzis said he will circulate a petition among Republican National Committee members to ban Paul from more debates. At a GOP candidates’ debate Tuesday night, Paul drew attacks from all sides, most forcefully from former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, when he linked the terror attacks to U.S. bombings.

..."I think he would have felt much more comfortable on the stage with the Democrats in what he said last night. And I think that he is a distraction in the Republican primary and he does not represent the base and he does not represent the party,” Anuzis said during an RNC state leadership meeting.

“Given what he said last night it was just so off the wall and out of whack that I think it was more detrimental than helpful.”

Anuzis said his petition would go to debate sponsors and broadcasters to discourage inviting Paul.

That attitude is why the republican party is where it is today.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »
I dont like Steele that much.  He is too moderate for my liking.

I would like to see a Goldwater type of person in there.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »
Neo-conservatism is a frankenstein monster of idiocy combining the worst of the conservative movement with the worst of self greed. Bush expanded social welfare programs, grew government while nation building and claiming deficits don't matter.  The RNC obviously saw what a failure it would be to continue in this direction.

Steele is against federal amendment to ban gay marriage, supports stem cell research, pro-Affirmative Action, against over-turning Roe vs Wade, against abortion ban, pretty much against everything the cons and the jesus freaks expect from a party member.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:09 AM »
In other words, because he is a liberal you like him.