Author Topic: powerlifting, strongman question?  (Read 5670 times)

young guns

• Getbig IV
  • being mortal sucks...
powerlifting, strongman question?
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »
hey guys its been awhile since last ive been on here...in my absence ive been focusing on my comp status in life.i started my first strongman event in october 07, came in 2nd place it was promoted by willie wessels from north american strongman society inc.it was awesome, but my weak point is the tire flip...and ive been competing in darrell latch's sonlight power powerlifting.he has one in conway arkansas next saturday, and the next strongman is promoted by eric todd in turney missouri in april. so my question is, is it smart to be balancing two lifting sports. or should i just concentrate on one sake of injury, fatiuge etc.   

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: powerlifting, strongman question?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:44:33 AM »
hey guys its been awhile since last ive been on here...in my absence ive been focusing on my comp status in life.i started my first strongman event in october 07, came in 2nd place it was promoted by willie wessels from north american strongman society inc.it was awesome, but my weak point is the tire flip...and ive been competing in darrell latch's sonlight power powerlifting.he has one in conway arkansas next saturday, and the next strongman is promoted by eric todd in turney missouri in april. so my question is, is it smart to be balancing two lifting sports. or should i just concentrate on one sake of injury, fatiuge etc.   
Darrell is a good guy, promotes a lot of meets around my hometown of STL and the Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas areas, if i were you i'd concentrate on one at a time, where are you from?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
Darrell is a good guy, promotes a lot of meets around my hometown of STL and the Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas areas, if i were you i'd concentrate on one at a time, where are you from?

I'm kinda on the other side of thinking..i do alot of GPP and supplemental powerlifting work that carries over well into strongman and vice versa... i have a big tire I play with, i do sled and sledgehammer work, I do farmer's, etc but i don't do alot of over head work due to my pressing. Just sticking to a powerlifting format has won me my first strongman with little effort. HOWEVER I would suggest starting out slowly and seeing where to go from there. Going gung ho really burned me out on it for awhile and fucked up my training..

L4S and others here do it. I'm not a strongman expert but  I do love doing the implements and feel they have their place in powerlifting. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
Using a hybrid training schedule works best for strongman. I and many others I know will do 2 days of PL for speed/reps and use the weekend for strongman implement training. One thing I can say for Strongman is that if you arent using the implements at least once a week you will have a hard time come the competition. You CAN compete in both if you choose but you must be smart about it.

I know one guy (just one) who competes in both PL and Strongman on a regular basis. He only recently took up PL meets after 5 years of Strongman only. He did so because his lift numbers were stagnant but he was incredible with the implements. When he started staggering in PL meets between Strongman comps, he really did well. PL meets really seem to help him get excited in the gym, which helps his numbers immensely and makes him perform better in Strongman. He still uses the implements but only on the side on heavy days. Maybe 2 events a day, twice a week, for a couple sets. When it comes time to train for a comp though he goes almost 100% back to Strongman. This led him to win Californias Strongest Man this year. Big accomplishment!

Its a delicate balance really. One definitely helps the other though. Just make sure you have a couple months in between each competition/meet so you can redirect your training properly.

Then theres the people, like Derek Poundstone, who would tell you to get good at powerlifting and then get into Strongman. If you are on as much gear as that guy you dont need to worry about how you train too much, just go heavy. ;D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:15:20 PM »
Using a hybrid training schedule works best for strongman. I and many others I know will do 2 days of PL for speed/reps and use the weekend for strongman implement training. One thing I can say for Strongman is that if you arent using the implements at least once a week you will have a hard time come the competition. You CAN compete in both if you choose but you must be smart about it.

I know one guy (just one) who competes in both PL and Strongman on a regular basis. He only recently took up PL meets after 5 years of Strongman only. He did so because his lift numbers were stagnant but he was incredible with the implements. When he started staggering in PL meets between Strongman comps, he really did well. PL meets really seem to help him get excited in the gym, which helps his numbers immensely and makes him perform better in Strongman. He still uses the implements but only on the side on heavy days. Maybe 2 events a day, twice a week, for a couple sets. When it comes time to train for a comp though he goes almost 100% back to Strongman. This led him to win Californias Strongest Man this year. Big accomplishment!

Its a delicate balance really. One definitely helps the other though. Just make sure you have a couple months in between each competition/meet so you can redirect your training properly.

Then theres the people, like Derek Poundstone, who would tell you to get good at powerlifting and then get into Strongman. If you are on as much gear as that guy you dont need to worry about how you train too much, just go heavy. ;D

i remember Jamie Reeves saying that to be at the top levels in Strongman that you had to be able to do at least a good raw 1900 pound total on the powerlifts to have the requisite strength to compete at that level, sounds about right to me.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
From seeing guys training both strongman and powerlifting, I definitely think you should pick one of the two and focus 100% on it.

And if it is powerlifting, don't even consider doing a strongman event, because as a powerlifter, you're not trained to deal with those types of lifts and can easily get injured.

The other way around is easier. A strongman won't get injured IMO if he competes in the occasional powerlifting meet.

So I suggest focusing on strongman. That means no benchpress training with a shirt, eg.

And, of course, much more shoulder pressing.

That is one of the the biggest differences between the strongmen and powerlifters.

The shoulder strength.

Also, doing 10-12 rep sets fairly often would help getting that needed stamina.
As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
i remember Jamie Reeves saying that to be at the top levels in Strongman that you had to be able to do at least a good raw 1900 pound total on the powerlifts to have the requisite strength to compete at that level, sounds about right to me.

I would say thats about right but the bench really has no place in strongman. Maybe incline bench but its the push press that is most important.

We DO train the Oly lifts from time to time. Snatches help and clean & jerk is imperative to strongman success. You can get away with continental cleans and push press but practicing the clean and press is ideal.

young guns

• Getbig IV
  • being mortal sucks...
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »
i really appreciate the advice guys, i seem to be inclined to compete more in powerlifting due to my location.i live in springfield missouri, and in this area their seems to be more powerlifting events then strongman ones...son light power holds atleast 3 powerlifting events a month, but NAS holds 1 or 2 every 3 months.i want to gain experience in strongman but the only gym that caters to strongman with stones, fingle fingers, log press, tire flip etc.. is in west plains which is a town 120 miles away from where i live, my passion is strongman but it seems unattainable due to location and proper training.

anyways this saturday at my second powerlifting meet im going for a 630 pull and a 450 push, it has a curl comp but i havent the foggiest what im going to try for since im not used to maxing out with biceps.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »
i really appreciate the advice guys, i seem to be inclined to compete more in powerlifting due to my location.i live in springfield missouri, and in this area their seems to be more powerlifting events then strongman ones...son light power holds atleast 3 powerlifting events a month, but NAS holds 1 or 2 every 3 months.i want to gain experience in strongman but the only gym that caters to strongman with stones, fingle fingers, log press, tire flip etc.. is in west plains which is a town 120 miles away from where i live, my passion is strongman but it seems unattainable due to location and proper training.

anyways this saturday at my second powerlifting meet im going for a 630 pull and a 450 push, it has a curl comp but i havent the foggiest what im going to try for since im not used to maxing out with biceps.

I didnt start doing strongman in a gym full of equipment. I just did PL stuff in the gym I went to and accumulated/built implements from time to time. It will get you by and could even get your own crew started in your area. I always had guys asking if they could come and try the stones and stuff. I just didnt have the time to put together a crew and all that (moved away).

Go to http://www.slatershardware.com/stonemolds.html and pick up a stone mold.

Then go to Home Depot and make some farmers out of iron pipe.
***You can even make a kettle bell or DB's in the same fashion.

Grab a 2" OD pipe while you are there and use that as an axle. Use pinch clamps to hold the weight.

Large tires are FREE bro. The store that changes them would have to pay recycling but you can do them a favor and just take one home!

There are a million things you can make yourself and if you use these "makeshift" implements, the contest will be much easier.

Also, check Craigslist.com in your area because people are always selling off old fitness equipment (plates, racks, etc...). I picked up a rack, adjustable bench, two bars, a curl bar, and 300lbs of weights for $180 once. I later sold it for $300 no problem.

Good luck with your lifting!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention. Before my first comp I had never used a real atlas stone, just large cobble stones. Loaded every atlas stone easily. 8)

Head to a local rock yard and pick out a couple good looking stones (no need to be perfectly round) and weigh them on their scale. These stones usually go for around $40/ton. If you got 3 good sized stones you would only be out less than 20 bucks!

I started with a 100lb, 200lb, and 280lb. When I got my hands on a "real" 325lb atlas stone, it was CAKE!

young guns

• Getbig IV
  • being mortal sucks...
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »
thanks bro, this information will not go to waste.

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
I would say thats about right but the bench really has no place in strongman. Maybe incline bench but its the push press that is most important.

We DO train the Oly lifts from time to time. Snatches help and clean & jerk is imperative to strongman success. You can get away with continental cleans and push press but practicing the clean and press is ideal.

Have to disagree here. The last 12 weeks or so I have really focused on my bench with almost zero overhead work. Low and behold, my overhead press is probably at an all time high. So much of bench work is tricep work I got a LOT of carryover. JMO.

Monopoly

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »

Have to disagree here. The last 12 weeks or so I have really focused on my bench with almost zero overhead work. Low and behold, my overhead press is probably at an all time high. So much of bench work is tricep work I got a LOT of carryover. JMO.

Monopoly

Nice bro! What is your OHP nowadays?

Bench just does not transfer to overhead for me or anyone else I know. In fact it brings my OHP down and makes my shoulders too inflexible to push my head through the movement. Wish it worked for me so I could be a bench monster too. ;D

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Nice bro! What is your OHP nowadays?

Bench just does not transfer to overhead for me or anyone else I know. In fact it brings my OHP down and makes my shoulders too inflexible to push my head through the movement. Wish it worked for me so I could be a bench monster too. ;D

Well, pr axle is 300, 280 log. Have recently hit 275 for an easy double on axle and 270 double on log.

This is with no overhead work recently and a fucked up lower back. Both of those PR's were also at about 10lbs higher in bodyweight while running a fair amount of gear.

Maybe the biggest help for me was lockout power. I always have gotten good drive from my legs but always missed at the top. That is probably why all the bench work helped me? Far from a bench moster bro, I'd be happy with 405 right now  :-\

Monopoly

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »

Monopoly

EXACTLY, this is one of the reasons Olympic lifters in the 60's and 70's assisted on their overhead presses when the press was still an official lift because it was a GREAT movement to pile on the weight and really overload the shoulders without stressing the lower back, besides declines flat benches are the pressing movement that you can handle the most weight on so it only makes sense for a strongman to do them heavy.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »
Well, pr axle is 300, 280 log. Have recently hit 275 for an easy double on axle and 270 double on log.

This is with no overhead work recently and a fucked up lower back. Both of those PR's were also at about 10lbs higher in bodyweight while running a fair amount of gear.

Maybe the biggest help for me was lockout power. I always have gotten good drive from my legs but always missed at the top. That is probably why all the bench work helped me? Far from a bench moster bro, I'd be happy with 405 right now  :-\

Monopoly

You are a HW arent you? I thought you already did more than that on overhead 2 years ago? Must have been mistaken.

The only flat benching I do is JM's or close grip. IT IS great for triceps but using the two movements I just listed keeps my shoulders out so they dont "over develop" in the front delt and become stiff.

I talked to Shaw when he was here and he told me he uses banded overhead presses almost exclusively since his showing at WSM. It has brought him to a pretty easy 400lb (IIRC) push press.

Once again though, if it works for you then good. I just cant handle doing both. And for the record, 405lbs is pretty damn good!

EXACTLY, this is one of the reasons Olympic lifters in the 60's and 70's assisted on their overhead presses when the press was still an official lift because it was a GREAT movement to pile on the weight and really overload the shoulders without stressing the lower back, besides declines flat benches are the pressing movement that you can handle the most weight on so it only makes sense for a strongman to do them heavy.

Like I said, if you can use it to your advantage, good. It would probably better for someone "on" as well. I cant handle all the work though.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 05:27:11 AM »
Some good suggestions there from Lift on making some homemade gear,here`s what i`ve just made to raise the plates up to make it easier to slide the next plate on when deadlifting.Its just a steel cylinder that i cut into quarters and welded a small steel block onto it,but because its a different circumference to the olympic plates it raises them off the floor by a couple of inches.Just slide it under,roll the plate back,put the next one on,then roll forward.

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 10:06:26 AM »
You are a HW arent you? I thought you already did more than that on overhead 2 years ago? Must have been mistaken.

The only flat benching I do is JM's or close grip. IT IS great for triceps but using the two movements I just listed keeps my shoulders out so they dont "over develop" in the front delt and become stiff.

I talked to Shaw when he was here and he told me he uses banded overhead presses almost exclusively since his showing at WSM. It has brought him to a pretty easy 400lb (IIRC) push press.

Once again though, if it works for you then good. I just cant handle doing both. And for the record, 405lbs is pretty damn good!

Like I said, if you can use it to your advantage, good. It would probably better for someone "on" as well. I cant handle all the work though.

I wish man, my overhead and my deadlift both suck. I have compteted as a HW, but my bodyweight has been at around 245lbs for those shows. If I was smart I'd cut the water and compete as LW. Ditto on the JM press, just started those and love em!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »
I wish man, my overhead and my deadlift both suck. I have compteted as a HW, but my bodyweight has been at around 245lbs for those shows. If I was smart I'd cut the water and compete as LW. Ditto on the JM press, just started those and love em!

You DL 675 according to your avatar. That does not suck.

Good luck this year. You would tear shit up as a lightweight.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »

shit i wish my deadlift "sucked" that bad. :D

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 07:33:01 PM »

I think that was an 18" pull. Everything is relative. Even 675 from the floor is shitty for a HW strongman. Thanks for the well wishes, I am thinking about doing socals strongest in March. We'll see how the back holds up. You got any shows planned?

Edit: Lift, that avatar is cracking me up.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 01:02:39 PM »
I think that was an 18" pull. Everything is relative. Even 675 from the floor is shitty for a HW strongman. Thanks for the well wishes, I am thinking about doing socals strongest in March. We'll see how the back holds up. You got any shows planned?

Edit: Lift, that avatar is cracking me up.

Im doing SoCals strongest too, if Im healed by then of course. Hope to see you there.

Do you like Phil Collins?