Author Topic: DASCHLE KNEW ABOUT TAX ISSUES IN JUNE - NYT - CHANGE & HOPE!!!!!  (Read 5412 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Daschle Knew of Tax Issues Over Car Use Last June
New York Times ^

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 6:17:55 AM by Sub-Driver

Daschle Knew of Tax Issues Over Car Use Last June By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG and ROBERT PEAR

WASHINGTON — President Obama’s choice for health secretary, Tom Daschle, was aware as early as last June that he might have to pay back taxes for the use of a car and driver provided by a private equity firm, but did not inform the Obama transition team until weeks after Mr. Obama named him to the health secretary’s post, senior administration officials said Saturday.

As Senate Democrats rushed to save the nomination of Mr. Daschle, their former leader, the White House spent the day trying to explain how he survived its vetting process despite his failure to pay $128,000 in taxes.

The White House would not say when the president himself learned of the tax issue, but said Mr. Obama is standing by his nominee.

“The president believes that nobody is perfect, but that nobody is trying to hide anything,” Robert Gibbs, the president’s press secretary, said in an interview, adding, “I think Senator Daschle rightly is going to have to answer questions, but I think members will be satisfied with the answers that he gives and will understand that he’s the right man for the job.”

At least six leading Democratic senators have come out in support of Mr. Daschle, but the fate of his nomination is unclear. The Senate Finance Committee, which is charged with holding a confirmation hearing on Mr. Daschle’s nomination, will meet behind closed doors Monday to discuss his taxes. After Timothy F. Geithner, Mr. Obama’s Treasury secretary, faced similar issues, some senators may have little appetite for confirming another nominee with tax problems.

“It’s totally shocking,” an aide to a Democratic senator said Saturday.

(Excerpt) Read more at nytimes.com ...

________________________ ________________________ _____

You people who voted for Obama are true suckers if you thought any real change was coming to Washington DC.

We are going from horrible (GWB) to even worse ( Obama ) very quickly.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: DASCHLE KNEW ABOUT TAX ISSUES IN JUNE - NYT - CHANGE & HOPE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »
I'll be shocked if the doesnt get a pass.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »

This really is getting disgusting.  The democrats are proving themselves to be far more corrupt than the GOP.

The GOP sucks, the democrats just suck far worse. 

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
Does anyone in the Clinton Flunkie Obama administration pay their taxes?

Is this the change we can all believe in?  An administration full of Clinton Flunkie tax cheats.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »
Does anyone in the Clinton Flunkie Obama administration pay their taxes?

Is this the change we can all believe in?  An administration full of Clinton Flunkie tax cheats.

No wonder they want to raise our taxes!  They have no intention of paying them!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »
Just bizarre.

Is it true that Rangel didn't pay his taxes also?

What the ???
R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 11:27:45 AM »
Rangel Tries to Explain Back Taxes on Villa

“I really don’t believe making mistakes means you have to give up your career,” Representative Charles B. Rangel said at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday.

By DAVID KOCIENIEWSKI
Published: September 10, 2008
WASHINGTON — Representative Charles B. Rangel said on Wednesday that “cultural and language barriers” had hindered him from understanding the finances of his Dominican Republic beach house, and vowed to repay several thousand dollars in federal taxes he owes after failing to report $75,000 in rental income from the villa.

At a Capitol Hill news conference, during which he was by turns remorseful and combative, the congressman said that he had not been aware of the income and unpaid taxes in part because he had trouble getting detailed financial statements from the resort’s managers in the Dominican Republic.

“Every time I thought I was getting somewhere, they’d start speaking Spanish,” Mr. Rangel said.

The explanation was greeted with skepticism and surprise by some people in his district, where Spanish is the primary language in nearly half the households and even Mr. Rangel’s own Congressional Web site can be instantly translated to Spanish with just two clicks of a computer mouse.

The congressman brushed aside calls that he step down as chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, and accused Republicans who have demanded that he do so of trying to exploit his financial missteps.

“I really don’t believe making mistakes means you have to give up your career,” said Mr. Rangel, a Democrat from Harlem.

Mr. Rangel, a lawyer who has been a member of the tax-writing committee for three decades, has found himself on the defensive in recent months because of disclosures about the villa, his use of Congressional stationery to solicit financial support for a City University center that will bear his name and his rent-stabilized apartments in Upper Manhattan.

At the news conference, Mr. Rangel said that he had asked the House ethics committee to investigate the issues surrounding the villa, which include his failure to pay taxes on the rental income and the resort developer’s decision to waive the interest on a mortgage extended to him to buy the home. He had previously requested that the committee examine his rent-stabilized apartments and his fund-raising for the City University center.

The congressman also released copies of documents he has submitted to the committee and pledged to apologize to the public and fellow members of Congress if he was found to have violated House rules.

“I personally feel I have done nothing morally wrong,” he said. Pressed by reporters about how, given his position and background, he could be ignorant of the tax rules, he answered: “I never had any idea that I got any income.”

Mr. Rangel bought the beachfront house at the Punta Cana resort and club in 1988. The resort, with tennis courts, a 1,500-acre nature preserve, golf and a marina, has emerged as one of the most desirable in the Caribbean, attracting celebrity investors like Oscar de la Renta and Julio Iglesias and high-profile guests like former President Bill Clinton.

Mr. Rangel said on Wednesday that he had never used the home more than four days in any calendar year. He said he had occasionally let other members of Congress stay at his villa for honeymoons or holidays, but declined to name them.

The news conference, which drew about 50 reporters, lasted for more than an hour, and while Mr. Rangel was contrite in accepting responsibility for his errors, he also displayed some of the cantankerousness that has marked his four decades in office,

When a reporter asked whether his errors had undermined his credibility to the point that he should step down as leader of the committee, he responded by asking the reporter how long he had been in journalism.

“I wouldn’t judge whether it’s time for you to leave,” the congressman said.

According to the letter Mr. Rangel had previously sent to the ethics committee and that he released on Wednesday, he bought the villa for $88,900, putting $28,900 down and taking out a mortgage for the balance from the resort owner.

While the resort made payments to Mr. Rangel every six months for his share of the rental income, and stopped charging interest on his mortgage after two years, the congressman said he paid little attention to the transactions — and was unaware that the interest had been waived — because the money was never sent directly to him or his wife but was instead used to pay down his mortgage and cover other fees he owed the development.

Elaborating on his difficulty with the language barrier, Mr. Rangel said that at various times over the past two decades, he tried to get the resort to send financial statements more regularly, and asked for help from Theodore Kheel, the prominent New York labor lawyer, who was a principal investor in the project.

Mr. Rangel said he was stymied by the company’s impenetrable bureaucracy and his inability to speak Spanish. He said it took a bilingual team assembled by his lawyer, Lanny Davis, to sort the villa’s finances out in recent days.

Mr. Rangel conceded on Wednesday that he had been “irresponsible” in failing to gather the information needed to report the income on his taxes or financial disclosure forms, and acknowledged that as a member of Congress and chairman of the Ways and Means Committee he should be held to a higher standard of conduct.

Asked to release his tax returns, however, he declined, saying that might infringe on the privacy of others. Mr. Davis, his lawyer, has said that Mr. Rangel’s wife, Alma, handled the family’s finances.

Mr. Rangel said that his accountants were still calculating the total he owed in unpaid taxes over the past five years, but that it was unlikely to exceed $5,000 to the Internal Revenue Service. Mr. Davis said that Mr. Rangel would probably owe another $5,000 to New York State and New York City combined.

Republican leaders in Congress, who demanded on Tuesday that Speaker Nancy Pelosi strip Mr. Rangel of his chairmanship, were unmoved by his explanation on Wednesday.

Ken Spain, a spokesman for the National Republican Campaign Committee, said Mr. Rangel should “go on a permanent vacation and trade his powerful committee chair in for his favorite lounge chair on the beach.”

Mr. Rangel also defended his advocacy on behalf of CUNY, which is trying to raise millions of dollars to open the Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service to train students for careers in government. Mr. Rangel acknowledged using his Congressional letterhead to ask leaders of charitable foundations and businesses to support the project, but said he had asked only that they meet with CUNY officials to discuss the project.

“I never asked for one nickel,” he said. “I asked for a meeting.”

Mr. Rangel did concede, however, that the ethics committee might find that he had improperly used his Congressional stationery, and he said he would abide by the committee’s rulings.

The congressman nonetheless said it was unfair to judge his long career in public service based on the ethics complaints. Hours before the news conference, he was included on a list of the 20 most corrupt members of Congress released by the group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, an action he called “sad and unfair.”

Mr. Rangel also dismissed the notion that he could be viewed as receiving an improper gift from his New York City landlord, the Olnick Organization, because the company allowed him to lease four rent-stabilized apartments, one of which he used as a campaign office.

Mr. Rangel has since agreed to relinquish the campaign office, but says there is nothing improper about keeping the others.

www.nytimes.com
R

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »

I'll bet my life he'll get the nod.

Double standards to the max.
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:42:14 AM »
He's done. 

Daschle withdraws as HHS nominee 

(CNN) -- Former Sen. Tom Daschle has withdrawn his nomination to head the Department of Health and Human Services, according to a statement Tuesday from the White House.

Daschle had been fighting to save his nomination as HHS secretary following controversy over his tax records and questions over his work in a field that some consider lobbying.

In a statement announcing his withdrawal, Daschle said it was an honor to be chosen to lead the reform of America's health care system.

"But if 30 years of exposure to the challenges inherent in our system has taught me anything, it has taught me that this work will require a leader who can operate with the full faith of Congress and the American people, and without distraction," he said.

"Right now, I am not that leader, and will not be a distraction. The focus of Congress should be on the urgent business of moving the President's economic agenda forward, including affordable health care for every American."

The Obama administration had stood by his side, and fellow Democrats lined up behind him, but Daschle's problems, coupled with other nominees' issues, gave critics ammunition to question President Obama's call for a "new era of responsibility."

The president said Tuesday he accepts Daschle's decision "with sadness and regret."

"Tom made a mistake, which he has openly acknowledged. He has not excused it, nor do I. But that mistake, and this decision, cannot diminish the many contributions Tom has made to this country, from his years in the military to his decades of public service. Now we must move forward, with our plan to lift this economy and put people back to work," Obama said in a statement.

. . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/03/daschle/index.html

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
This is neither here nor there but I just about died laughing when Roger Hedgecock was subbing for Rush a few years ago and accidentally-on-purpose mispronounced the former Senate Majority Leader's last name as "Dash-hole."

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 05:57:02 PM »
333386, Obama went on the News and told people he screwed up with Daschle.  Now contrast that with Bush who would never admit a mistake.  For me, I'm happy to have a president that will look things over, admit wrongs and shoot to correct.  After 8 years of Bush policy of running with the error and trying to spin it to a right, Obama is looking good.  How about you give some credit for him at least admitting a mistake?  Somehow I doubt you can.  You just took an example that shows Obama to be better than Bush and said Obama is going worse than Bush... LOL, WTF?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »
333386, Obama went on the News and told people he screwed up with Daschle.  Now contrast that with Bush who would never admit a mistake.  For me, I'm happy to have a president that will look things over, admit wrongs and shoot to correct.  After 8 years of Bush policy of running with the error and trying to spin it to a right, Obama is looking good.  How about you give some credit for him at least admitting a mistake?  Somehow I doubt you can.  You just took an example that shows Obama to be better than Bush and said Obama is going worse than Bush... LOL, WTF?

enough with the comparing obama to bush bro its irrelavent, could compare him to clinton as well...that being said im glad he owned up to it, doesnt explain why he was ok with the first guy who didnt pay taxes but still glad to see him taking responsibility for it gained points in my book.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »
enough with the comparing obama to bush bro its irrelavent, could compare him to clinton as well...that being said im glad he owned up to it, doesnt explain why he was ok with the first guy who didnt pay taxes but still glad to see him taking responsibility for it gained points in my book.
enough of you saying it's not relevant.   That just fucking stupid, stop.  Of course it's relevant!  When you're passing from one person with X wrong policy where that policy became standard practice and an all around annoyance to all and the next president shows he's not following in the set precedent, it's relevant!!!! It becomes even more relevant when people like BB and others here didn't give a shit about Policy X under Bush but are there to slap Obama's hands.  And most of all, it's relevant because the initial post brought it up!!!!!!! Oh yea, huh, duh...  How the fuck can you say it's not right to bring Bush into it when the initial post did?  That is beyond stupid bubba.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 06:47:51 PM »
enough with the comparing obama to bush bro its irrelavent

ahahaha we've spent the last 8 years here, comparing bush to clinton.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »
enough of you saying it's not relevant.   That just fucking stupid, stop.  Of course it's relevant!  When you're passing from one person with X wrong policy where that policy became standard practice and an all around annoyance to all and the next president shows he's not following in the set precedent, it's relevant!!!! It becomes even more relevant when people like BB and others here didn't give a shit about Policy X under Bush but are there to slap Obama's hands.  And most of all, it's relevant because the initial post brought it up!!!!!!! Oh yea, huh, duh...  How the fuck can you say it's not right to bring Bush into it when the initial post did?  That is beyond stupid bubba.
the lasts presidents policies stopped when the new president came in what does comparing the two do? bush was out of office no matter whether obama won or not...I believe 333386 made that comment b/c of how ppl here bashed bush and believed obama to be the new coming of you know who...at either rate again its irrelevant comparison, compare mccain and obama if you would like at least that has some bearing.

ahahaha we've spent the last 8 years here, comparing bush to clinton.

not me sir

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 07:44:33 PM »
this forum is very fun and combative lately.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
this forum is very fun and combative lately.

hahah very much so far less left as it was during the election it has moved back to fairly center or even.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 07:48:57 PM »

yeah, I think he handled this well too and it's f'ng refreshing to see a President who can quickly admit mistakes and resolve them quickly

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »
yeah, I think he handled this well too and it's f'ng refreshing to see a President who can quickly admit mistakes and resolve them quickly

very much so although i dont know if he resolved it from what i hear daschle asked to be withdrawn, obama didnt say get lost for all we know daschle could still be in the running if he hadnt have pulled out.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
very much so although i dont know if he resolved it from what i hear daschle asked to be withdrawn, obama didnt say get lost for all we know daschle could still be in the running if he hadnt have pulled out.

no one knows except Daschle, Obama and maybe Rahmbo and/or Biden

I don't think it really matters

it's out of the news and on to the next story

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
the lasts presidents policies stopped when the new president came in what does comparing the two do? bush was out of office no matter whether obama won or not...I believe 333386 made that comment b/c of how ppl here bashed bush and believed obama to be the new coming of you know who...at either rate again its irrelevant comparison, compare mccain and obama if you would like at least that has some bearing.
not me sir
haha, epic.  333386 gets a pass and I can't can't bring up Bush in making a comparison that refutes his from horrible to worse assertion.  You and BB are such fucking hypocrites.

Lets not forget as 240 mentioned, how long was Clinton relevant for Bush and company to use for a scapegoat?  And I didn't see many of you having a problem with that?  More hypocrisy.  Bush and the rightwing in general went for years blaming Clinton for problems and here we are just barely into Obama's term and you're like, "stop mentioning Bush! waaaa!! waaaaa!!..." Now that's douchebaggery taken to an extreme.  Climb on down pal, you're looking really bad on this one.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »
That's not what resolve means here ::)  It means not making the same mistake again.  How can that not be clear to you ::) Oh I know because as usual you take what people say and put your own special meaning to it.  You always do it and here you go again.  Clue in pal, Obama pointed out his mistake and why it was wrong.  The correction is to not do it again.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 08:05:39 PM »
haha, epic.  333386 gets a pass and I can't can't bring up Bush in making a comparison that refutes his from horrible to worse assertion.  You and BB are such fucking hypocrites.

Lets not forget as 240 mentioned, how long was Clinton relevant for Bush and company to use for a scapegoat?  And I didn't see many of you having a problem with that?  More hypocrisy.  Bush and the rightwing in general went for years blaming Clinton for problems and here we are just barely into Obama's term and you're like, "stop mentioning Bush! waaaa!! waaaaa!!..." Now that's douchebaggery taken to an extreme.  Climb on down pal, you're looking really bad on this one.
not me sir
Brain child i gave nobody a pass try reading instead of letting your blind hate for me get in the way next time.

blaming bush/clinton for problems is different then comparing the two wouldnt you agree? If a problem is legitimately the past presidents fault then by all means talk away...dont be ignorant enough to not look at all the facts but by all means go right ahead

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »
That's not what resolve means here ::)  It means not making the same mistake again.  How can that not be clear to you ::) Oh I know because as usual you take what people say and put your own special meaning to it.  You always do it and here you go again.  Clue in pal, Obama pointed out his mistake and why it was wrong.  The correction is to not do it again.
uh no bro resolved as straw used it in context means that he resolved the situation by having daschle step down you could of course extend that to whatever your want.

no one knows except Daschle, Obama and maybe Rahmbo and/or Biden

I don't think it really matters

it's out of the news and on to the next story
straw seemed ok with the way i interpreted his post  ;)

by the way i agree with you straw.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »
Brain child i gave nobody a pass try reading instead of letting your blind hate for me get in the way next time.

blaming bush/clinton for problems is different then comparing the two wouldnt you agree? If a problem is legitimately the past presidents fault then by all means talk away...dont be ignorant enough to not look at all the facts but by all means go right ahead
Look fool, I pointed out a quality in Obama in regards to this case that refuted 33's going from horrible to worse.  How in the fucking hell do you really have a problem with that you fucking idiot?