Author Topic: B.J. Penn Mulling Retirement After Loss to Georges St Pierre  (Read 1817 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
B.J. Penn Mulling Retirement After Loss to Georges St Pierre
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:16:02 AM »
B.J. Penn Mulling Retirement After Loss to Georges St Pierre
  by Kid Nate on Feb 2, 2009 1:41 PM EST in News
From Josh Gross:

Priority No. 1, according to sources in his camp, remains whether or not to lodge a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission alleging Georges St. Pierre's corner knowingly and illegally used Vaseline on the UFC welterweight champion's body to gain an unfair advantage Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Should Penn decide to move forward and attack the integrity of St. Pierre and his camp, chances are the Hawaiian will want to fight again. That, surprisingly, is not an automatic. Though the answer seems obvious considering Penn, who is only 30, appears perfectly capable of carving himself a meaningful legacy at 155, no one close to "The Prodigy" knows for certain if he'll return.

"Before we got to Vegas we were talking," Penn's chief trainer, Rudy Valentino, said Sunday evening after returning to Hilo. With a win over St. Pierre "he wanted this to be his last fight."
w

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: B.J. Penn Mulling Retirement After Loss to Georges St Pierre
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
He should hang it up, the fans will never forget this incident. He will be the most hated man in the sport now. Plus, he has no heart.
E

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
he's still young.this is just a ploy.I'm not a fan of his but at a lighter weight he's still one of the best.
DAWG

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
he's still young.this is just a ploy.I'm not a fan of his but at a lighter weight he's still one of the best.

One of the best shit talkers for sure. Problem is he can't back up his talk and the fans are sick of him, trust me on this. This backlash is not going to go away.
E

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
real men dont weigh 155 so unless they get him some girls to fight  he should just die
I

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:33:43 AM »
real men dont weigh 155 so unless they get him some girls to fight  he should just die

LMAO!
w

jbflift

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »
Why would you talk retirement right before one of the biggest fights of your career.  That is very demotivating, probably just thee weed talking.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »

He'll be back. This is the post fight self-doubt stage. He did a lot of trash talking and utterly embarrassed himself. Right now he probably wants to dig a hole and bury himself to avoid all the post fight analysis. Give him a few weeks and he'll be back in the gym training.

Hopefully he learnt something from this humiliating loss and reevaluates his training. Kenny Florian must have gotten a nice boost of confidence following BJ's loss. BJ needs to put this loss behind him and start getting ready for Florian.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
He is good to go, kid is an heir to the Penn fortune, should sit back and chill before he gets brain damage.
I am a big baby

zimanu

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 09:18:52 PM »
he'll make at least 200K just defending his title, even if he looses, so unless he really doesn't want this money, he'll be back

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:56:58 PM »

Well you just made it then at 160.  Good job moron

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:04 AM »
penn is the most dominant 155 lb fighter out there,he still has alot to offer imo at that weight class.bj just lost to one of the/if not the most dominating fighters in the world in his weight class and is prolly the best lb for lb fighter in the world.thats not nothing to be ashamed of imo,i even got alittle turned off by bj,s shit talking before the fight and im a bj fan,i think he went overboard.but to say hes washed up and stuff is nonsense,bj,s still one of the best fighters out there with great natural talent.bj has beaten some decent opponants over the years,he beat sherk,pulver,hughes,lost to machida by decision but machida outweighed him by 30lbs,beat bang ludwig,dismantled gomi and beat serra.not to shabby imo.if bj would just take a chill pill and not talk as much shit before fights i dont think fans would be as hard on him after a loss or for that matter a win,i like bj but when he started saying hes gonna kill gsp and all that crazy stuff it was leaving a bad taste in my mouth,maybe this loss will mature him alittle and humble him also.im always gonna be a bj penn fan but im praying that he cools out on the shit talking
R

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:52:58 AM »
penn is the most dominant 155 lb fighter out there,he still has alot to offer imo at that weight class.bj just lost to one of the/if not the most dominating fighters in the world in his weight class and is prolly the best lb for lb fighter in the world.thats not nothing to be ashamed of imo,i even got alittle turned off by bj,s shit talking before the fight and im a bj fan,i think he went overboard.but to say hes washed up and stuff is nonsense,bj,s still one of the best fighters out there with great natural talent.bj has beaten some decent opponants over the years,he beat sherk,pulver,hughes,lost to machida by decision but machida outweighed him by 30lbs,beat bang ludwig,dismantled gomi and beat serra.not to shabby imo.if bj would just take a chill pill and not talk as much shit before fights i dont think fans would be as hard on him after a loss or for that matter a win,i like bj but when he started saying hes gonna kill gsp and all that crazy stuff it was leaving a bad taste in my mouth,maybe this loss will mature him alittle and humble him also.im always gonna be a bj penn fan but im praying that he cools out on the shit talking

BJ is not a bad guy but his attempts at PR sucks. This "kill GSP" routine he did was way over the top.

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 03:08:54 AM »
It was a very humbling experience for BJ that is for sure, especially after all the smacktalk and the inability to back that shit talk up. To see him go would be a waste especially as he has a lot to offer however this was a perfect example of be careful what you wish for or you just might get it.

Dball

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 04:28:28 PM »

Truest post ever.  Although I hate the way BJ presents himself before a fight (and Keith, don't give me all the crap about hyping himself up, you look at guys like Fedor and GSP, arguable the two most popular fighters today, and they don't have to do that crap.) he is a killer at 155.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 04:39:19 PM »
It was evident that BJ didn't train enough for the biggest fight of his life.

If he cannot find it in his heart to get up in the mornings and run for a fight against GSP - when will he?

Put a fork in him - he's done. :'(
As empty as paradise

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
seems to me like training to make 155 lbs lights a fire under his ass that training for fights @ 170 dos'nt....

he needs to just concentrate on lightweight because he suck dick @ 170

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 10:52:07 PM »
alot of guys are forgetting that guys like hughes and bj have alot of natural talent,and pat militich himself said hughes wouldnt train for most of his fights until 3 weeks before the fight.mfs guys said the same thing,hughes would be working on the farm instead.the thing is guys like hughes can get away with barely training for most guys,but gsp aint most guys and thats where the begining of the end was for hughes.hughes was never the same after gsp beat him down the first time,momentum and beliefe in ones self are huge tools for a champion to stay dominant.i think when your in bj,s position and you got a whole island kissing your ass you start to believe you could win fights with minimal training, bj dusted everyone in 155 div with minimal training and felt he could do the same at 170.as ive always said,weight and strength with no skills mean little against great a smaller guy with great technique,problem was gsp is much bigger naturally then bj and has awesome skills just like penn.penn gave up almost 30 lbs on fight night according to joe rogan,rogan said rumor has it gsp was in the mid to high 190,s on fight night,penn was reportedly weighing 163.imo thats a huge difference when considering your opponant is a extremely talented fighter like gsp.im hoping bj takes this loss as a learning experiance and stops the crazy shit talking cause hes to good of a fighter to leave the sport now.its like gsp moving up to fight fedor and losing,people would still like gsp cause he doesnt trash talk,fans can accept thier fav fighter losing but no one likes a big trash talker even if its thier fav fighter,i like bj and hope he humbles himself and doesnt talk that crazy crap anymore
R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 05:24:50 AM »
I like BJ regardless if he talks thrash or not.

What I think is complete bullshit is how he shows up like a fatboy on fight night.

Making an ass of himself.

If BJ trains hard - he beats GSP.

But the kid doesn't have the heart.
As empty as paradise

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
I like BJ regardless if he talks thrash or not.

What I think is complete bullshit is how he shows up like a fatboy on fight night.

Making an ass of himself.

If BJ trains hard - he beats GSP.

But the kid doesn't have the heart.

even if he trained as hard as GSP, he still wouldn't beat GSP.  GSP is bigger, stronger and more athletic.
w