Author Topic: Bodybuilding is not going to progress?  (Read 6544 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Bodybuilding is not going to progress?
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »
Chick, Larry and Dan on PBW talking about how bodybuilding is not going to progress, when the top competitors of the bodybuilding sport only competes in ONE show per year.

This is actually a very big topic in terms of marketing, and more.

AVBG

Re: Bodybuilding is not going to progress?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:16:09 PM »
I agree, if it's too brutal in terms of prep..design a proper season/schedule.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »

Chick, talking about how bodybuilding is not going to progress, when the top competitors of the bodybuilding sport only competes in ONE show per year.

Well, they do the Grand Prix shows....but those are an afterthought and a joke as it's just an auto-paycheck for the Mr. Olympia. All of the other shows don't pay all that much (big surprise) and the athletes need to pump more and more drugs into their bodies to compete. No money in the lower shows, no interest and crooked supp. companies that hold far to much sway over who wins the big shows all have an effect Ron.

They big names have their contracts, they are guaranteed to place well b/c of the companies backing etc etc. They have no reason to show up to many shows.

Have 4-5 big shows with big money spread throughout the year and that might do it. Of course, no one wants to let any other show have a bigger payout than the Olympia...and the Wieders made it very clear that the prize money WILL NOT CHANGE.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:27 PM »
I have covered this extensively in years past.  You fools seem to turn a deaf ear.  It is only your own Waterloo in time.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:56 PM »
I have covered this extensively in years past.  You fools seem to turn a deaf ear.  It is only your own Waterloo in time.

::)

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »
Chick, talking about how bodybuilding is not going to progress, when the top competitors of the bodybuilding sport only competes in ONE show per year.

The prep for each show (food aas etc) is way too much, and the prizes aint a biggie either so, i dont think most can afford it

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »
Chick is right, make everyone re-qualify for the Olympia, including Mr. Olympia.  Then, all top guys will have to compete at least twice a year.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:20:49 PM »
Athletes are controlled by sponsors and conditions of their contract, i would think it would be easy to get them to compete more often, i believe the relationship or lack of a relationship between the pro league and sponsors is a big reason behind Athletes doing more shows, a lot of sponsors dont really have a high regard for the way the pro league conducts its dictatorship, i mean business.

Spicy Shushi

• Getbig III
  • KNOW HOMO?
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 05:21:13 PM »
The pros can't afford to "supplement" more.   :-\

Enjoy your dish...

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:21:26 PM »
I agree with the Mr. Olympia not competing to defend his title, but everyone else needs to requalify.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:23:10 PM »
maybe for all ifbb shows in a year or say pick 6 big ones points for placing in top 6. 1st=6 points 6th=1 pt etc...then on olympia before olympia result anounce the league champ or something .

i dont know who gives a fuck bbuilding is gay

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »
I agree with the Mr. Olympia not competing to defend his title, but everyone else needs to requalify.

You should know that MR O aint a big thing these days, the past 2 shows lacked of decent competitors, it looks more now like new york pro, even the ironman is better.

speak on this big ron

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »

Only when you or Vince G are commenting about something.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 05:27:31 PM »
Chick, Larry and Dan on PBW talking about how bodybuilding is not going to progress, when the top competitors of the bodybuilding sport only competes in ONE show per year.

Sponsors need to make prize money higher...and yes they need to compete more than once a year...if that happens..bodybuilding fixes itself...

dustin

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 05:27:53 PM »
I agree, if it's too brutal in terms of prep..design a proper season/schedule.

I anticipated doing a small local show but I never understood how crazy contest prep is. I have dieted down to low single digits twice and can't imagine how tough it'd be to peak for a show. Honestly, I don't have the time, patience or drive to do that and possibly spill over because I had a few too many ounces of water or grams of carbs. And all that for a plastic trophy and bragging rights should I end up placing.

The fucking sad thing is that only the very top tier pros make any appreciable amount of money. Local show = shitty plastic trophy, most pro shows = shitty plastic trophy and embarrassing pay check. That's fucked up. Those embarrassingly shitty paychecks usually don't even equate to the amount of money spent on "super supplements" for the fucking contest prep to begin with. :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »
They discussed this on PBW and it seems like a valid issue.  Bodybuilding is the only sport where the best guys (with the most fans) only compete one time each year.  Jay, Dexter, Heath, Wolf will only do one contest.  Seems like these guys should have to compete more often to give bodybuilding a chance to survive/grow.  Bob said its becoming a big problem when most of the big names are skipping the Arnold, despite all of the prize money in that show.

they should at least do two shows per year.  Really, it's a win-win.  They make more $ from endorsements than they do from shows - and the fans get cheated.  PLUS, if you had dex, heath, and others doing other shows, and they lost now and then, then the top 6 at the O might loosen up a bit.  As it stands right now, I think most of us could call the 09 top six, pretty easily based upon expectation.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »
Maybe make the prize money requirement for each show $50k minimum.  That would reduce the number of shows and allow the IFBB to line them up in consecutive weeks, culminating with the Olympia.  Top guys would compete in each show.  

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »
I have covered this extensively in years past.  You fools seem to turn a deaf ear. 

Doesn't that tell you how impressed people were with whatever it was that you advocated? ;D

Anyway, I for one missed it and am keen to hear what your brilliant mind has to say on the topic, Adonis. Do you mind posting the basic tenets of what you suggested in the first place?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 05:45:41 PM »
year tru adnoiz since u fink u r such intillectual go ahed and tell us

Drama Queen

• Getbig IV
  • "Silence is argument carried on by other means''
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »
Bodybuilding is not going to progress because the IFBB's strict drugs policies.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
Maybe make the prize money requirement for each show $50k minimum.  That would reduce the number of shows and allow the IFBB to line them up in consecutive weeks, culminating with the Olympia.  Top guys would compete in each show.  

and if they competed all year long, that would make this 'sport' interesting.. imagine them going from show to show competing for points? i personally am not interested much in pro bodybuilding, because you see a guy for a few days then thats it.. theres no excitement or any reason to stay interested..

solida

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 06:00:36 PM »

i dont know who gives a fuck bbuilding is gay

Was BGIII a bodybuilding competition ?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 06:34:28 PM »
Add in the BBers that cater directly to schmoes and those involved in G4P AND the ones who dance around on stage in gay costumes like they are at a gay strip club.

This shit doesn't fly with the public at large.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »
Its a symptom of how diseased the sport really is------how taxing and unhealthy it is to beat your body up to get prepared for a pro show :-\

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »
Its a symptom of how diseased the sport really is------how taxing and unhealthy it is to beat your body up to get prepared for a pro show :-\

About as taxing as any other sport....athletes know the sacrifice, and expect to get beat up preparing