Author Topic: Are Income Taxes Voluntary?  (Read 558 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Are Income Taxes Voluntary?
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
Senator Harry Reid says "yes." 

I already thought this guy wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box, but geeze. 

Post by Stella in another thread.

And voluntary  ???

I know you guys have probably seen this a long time ago but someone just sent this to me.

Is there a thread on this vid here anywhere?  If so can someone please link me (I searched but couldn't find one)?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Are Income Taxes Voluntary?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
All Harry was saying is that the onus is on the taxpayer to pay and that is refered to as a voluntary system.  He put what he was saying into context by comparing it to countries that automatically take the tax.  It's called voluntary compliance, like paying your speeding tickets, that's voluntary compliance too but what happens if you don't?  That's the single dumbest exchange I've seen in a month. With the background to this, it's not all Harry's fault, it's government wide.

This puts some better persepective to the real problem.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »
All Harry was saying is that the onus is on the taxpayer to pay and that is refered to as a voluntary system.  He put what he was saying into context by comparing it to countries that automatically take the tax.  It's called voluntary compliance, like paying your speeding tickets, that's voluntary compliance too but what happens if you don't?  That's the single dumbest exchange I've seen in a month. With the background to this, it's not all Harry's fault, it's government wide.

This puts some better persepective to the real problem.

no doubt, however it was amazing that he couldnt understand what the man was asking and refused to see the point that it isnt voluntary in the sense that the man was asking about.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »
no doubt, however it was amazing that he couldnt understand what the man was asking and refused to see the point that it isnt voluntary in the sense that the man was asking about.
what I'm saying is that's the answer you're going to get out of most politicians, republicans too.  Harry's response there is typical with the exception of a few like Ron Paul.  So do we accuse all of them for this style of answer or just pin up Harry's response and call him dumb?  It's dumb to put up Harry's response and call him the lone idiot when they're all doing it.  What Harry is saying is true to the system they think is true and/or are forced to follow.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »
what I'm saying is that's the answer you're going to get out of most politicians, republicans too.  Harry's response there is typical with the exception of a few like Ron Paul.  So do we accuse all of them for this style of answer or just pin up Harry's response and call him dumb?  It's dumb to put up Harry's response and call him the lone idiot when they're all doing it.  What Harry is saying is true to the system they think is true and/or are forced to follow.
still how hard is it to say that the term voluntary is being defined differently by the 2 of us and go on to explain or you voluntarily choose to live in the US and by doing so agree to abide by its laws or pay the consequences so yes its voluntary?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »
still how hard is it to say that the term voluntary is being defined differently by the 2 of us and go on to explain or you voluntarily choose to live in the US and by doing so agree to abide by its laws or pay the consequences so yes its voluntary?
Call up a dozen politicians, you'll either get no answer from them or the same and I will be shocked if one varies.  That's the facts for anyone who's looked into this.  Welcome to the machine.  Harry is a cog in it, that's all.