Author Topic: Obama names Gregg for Commerce secretary  (Read 3974 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama names Gregg for Commerce secretary
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:14:07 PM »
Good pick. 

Obama names Gregg for Commerce secretary
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama nominated Republican Sen. Judd Gregg to be Commerce secretary today, a bipartisan gesture that the Democratic president stressed was necessary with the economy in a virtual free fall.

"Clearly Judd and I don't agree on every issue, most notably who should have won the election," Obama said in the White House's grand foyer with Gregg and Vice President Joe Biden at his side. "But we do agree on the urgent need to get American businesses and families back on their feet. ... We know the only way to solve the great challenges of our time is to put aside stale ideology and petty partisanship and embrace what works."

Gregg, in turn, praised Obama's $800 billion-plus proposal to stabilize the economic slide and pull the country out of recession as an "extraordinarily bold, aggressive, effective and comprehensive plan."

"This is not a time for partisanship," the New Hampshire senator said. "This is not a time when we should stand in our ideological corners and shout. This is a time to govern, and govern well."

If confirmed by the Senate, Gregg would take over a sprawling Commerce Department tasked not just with job creation, but also with conducting the 2010 Census. The department includes the Patent and Trademark Office, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, whose duties include weather forecasting and climate research.

Gregg would be the third Republican in Obama's Cabinet, joining Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.

The president initially had tapped Bill Richardson for the Commerce job, but the New Mexico governor withdrew his nomination amid a grand jury investigation into a state contract awarded to his political donors.

After a monthlong search, Obama settled on the 61-year-old Gregg, a former New Hampshire governor who previously served in the House. Gregg has been in the Senate since 1993 and currently serves as the top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee.

Gregg said in a conference call with reporters he will remain in the Senate until he is confirmed.

Financial records show that in 2007, Gregg was worth between $3.1 million and $10.5 million, not out of line with others in the Senate. He owns stock in blue chip companies such as Verizon, Exxon, drugmaker Bristol Myers, General Electric, Citicorp, Microsoft, Heinz, Capital One and Bank of America. Some of his larger assets include real estate in New Hampshire, Florida, New York and Massachusetts. He also owns stakes in several software makers. And he's a trustee of the Hugh Gregg Family Foundation, a charitable trust.

New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch, a Democrat, has agreed — in a deal struck with Gregg — to name a Republican to fill the Senate seat.

Democratic officials say Lynch intends to select Bonnie Newman, Gregg's former chief of staff, and that she intends to step down rather than run in 2010 for a full term. That would create the possibility of a highly competitive race for a seat that long has been in Republican hands.

Choosing a Democrat would have expanded the party's majority in the Senate, moving it closer to a filibuster-proof majority. Gregg had indicated he wouldn't leave the Senate if his departure disrupted the balance of power.

The White House's exact role in the deal that led to Gregg's nomination is unclear.

In a statement, Lynch said the White House was at least directly aware that a deal had been made: Gregg would only become Commerce secretary if he was replaced by a Republican in the Senate.

Yet before Gregg's nomination had become official, Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said the White House has no part in "picking senators in states that need new senators."

Gregg himself mentioned the deal as he stood with Obama today, saying: "I also want to thank the governor of New Hampshire for his courtesy and courage in being willing to make this possible through the agreement that we have relative to my successor in the Senate."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090203/BREAKING/90203028

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: Obama names Gregg for Commerce secretary
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »
This is what we hoped for from Obama...at least some bipartisanship.  Not sure how Gregg thinks the stimulus bill is effective.
Hope he is paying his taxes. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:38 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »
He needs someone right of center in his cabinet.  Gregg has great qualifications and a solid record. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:31:23 PM »
He needs someone right of center in his cabinet.  Gregg has great qualifications and a solid record. 
does that just go for dems in office?  apparently it doesn't work the other way around.  I sure never heard you mention anything about Bush having any balance ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:30 PM »
does that just go for dems in office?  apparently it doesn't work the other way around.  I sure never heard you mention anything about Bush having any balance ::)

::)  Who cares?  Bush isn't president anymore.   

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:05:42 PM »
Bush probably didn't listen to many around him besides Cheney anyway.
A president needs to lead but also needs to listen to multiple opinions.  Thats a positive about Obama, I believe he does listen to multiple opinions.  We just need more conservative opinions around him  ;D

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »
Bush probably didn't listen to many around him besides Cheney anyway.
A president needs to lead but also needs to listen to multiple opinions.  Thats a positive about Obama, I believe he does listen to multiple opinions.  We just need more conservative opinions around him  ;D

He's already more conservative than Bush at least.  8)
S

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:21:13 PM »
It applies to your comment that he needs someone right of center in his cabinet.  You brought it up as part of the reasoning why he's a good pick, not me.  That opens the door for my criticism and if you don't like it maybe you shouldn't display your double standards so openly ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »

lol... I like that answer.  I'm going to use it from now on.

Random Getbig poster: "Bush squandered trillions and endorsed amnesty.
ME:

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:38:10 PM »
lol... I like that answer.  I'm going to use it from now on.

Random Getbig poster: "Bush squandered trillions and endorsed amnesty.
ME:
It's a great answer when you're stuck in that, "oh fuck, I got nothing" moment :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »
It's a great answer when you're stuck in that, "oh fuck, I got nothing" moment :D

Yep.  Too bad we didn't think of it when cons were blaming Iraq war and repubs losing congress in 06 on bill clinton.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
It applies to your comment that he needs someone right of center in his cabinet.  You brought it up as part of the reasoning why he's a good pick, not me.  That opens the door for my criticism and if you don't like it maybe you shouldn't display your double standards so openly ;)

No it doesn't.   ::)  I could care less about your "criticism."  It has nothing to do with whether Gregg was a good pick.  And I'll display whatever the heck I want, when I want, as often as I want.  :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:39:04 PM »
No it doesn't.   ::) 
shut the fuck up, yes it does.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
shut the fuck up, yes it does.

Ah shaddap.   ::) 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »
Ah shaddap.   ::) 

right so you say Obama "NEEDS" someone right of center and I call you on your hypocrisy having never given a shit about Bush's nominations all being solid right despite even narrower victories and you just announce Bush isn't president anymore then you go off that you don't care.  epic.  Good thing you live in a cozy paradise down there.  I have a hunch you would have been a Darwin Award candidate living anywhere tougher.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »
right so you say Obama "NEEDS" someone right of center and I call you on your hypocrisy having never given a shit about Bush's nominations all being solid right despite even narrower victories and you just announce Bush isn't president anymore then you go off that you don't care.  epic.  Good thing you live in a cozy paradise down there.  I have a hunch you would have been a Darwin Award candidate living anywhere tougher.

Blah blah blah.  Who the heck cares what you think? 

And it's not exactly paradise right now.  Overcast and a little rainy.  But I will be eating Mexican food tonight, so life is good.   :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
Blah blah blah.  Who the heck cares what you think? 

And it's not exactly paradise right now.  Overcast and a little rainy.  But I will be eating Mexican food tonight, so life is good.   :)
you sound bitter.  Don't worry, you're not the only hypocrite around here so at least you have your company of losers.  BB, you're just a sour rightwing douchebag, the only people who care what you think are your fellow rightwing hypocrites and I shouldn't have to tell anyone, I don't give a rats ass if you fools care what I think or not ;)   Oh and Obama doesn't "NEED" to have anyone right of center.  Like you shitheads will give him a speck of anything for it.  You'll take but there will be no give, typical of you jackasses.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
Gregg Voted to Kill Commerce Before He Agreed to Lead It

President Obama's new candidate to run the Commerce Department voted in favor of abolishing the agency as a member of the Budget Committee and on the Senate floor in 1995.

Sen. Judd Gregg , R-N.H., whose nomination was expected to be announced Tuesday, also worked in the Senate to trim the department's budget as head of the Commerce-Justice-Science Appropriations Subcommittee.

Gregg's 1995 votes were cast for the fiscal 1996 budget resolution, a nonbinding blueprint that outlined the GOP's fiscal priorities after Republicans won full control of Congress for the first time in 40 years.

The Senate version of the controversial measure envisioned spending cuts of more than $960 billion, almost half of it from Medicare and Medicaid. Democratic efforts to amend it were uniformly rebuked by a united GOP majority on the Budget Committee.

Ultimately, the Commerce Department survived, and Gregg has since shown more interest than most of his Republican colleagues in funding some of its agencies, particularly the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Gregg also fought President Bill Clinton's efforts to increase funding for the Commerce Department to administer the 2000 census. Indeed, Gregg's commitment to basic functions of the department has been questioned at times.

"He was generally pretty harsh on them and not really interested in their programs, especially the commerce side of things," said a Democratic appropriations aide.

The aide also called Gregg "really smart and hard-working" and said he would work well within Obama's Cabinet.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
Ah shaddap.   ::) 

LOL!!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA A :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 06:02:47 PM »
LOL!!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA A :)
So you see no problem with BB saying Obama needs to have people right of center after 8 years of not giving a shit about Bush having any balance?  Obama even won by a bigger margin than Bush.  Double standard much?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
So you see no problem with BB saying Obama needs to have people right of center after 8 years of not giving a shit about Bush having any balance?  Obama even won by a bigger margin than Bush.  Double standard much?
Not sure that this is what Beach is saying, but I do applaud the president's selection of someone known very well in Washington to be extremely frugal when it comes to spending our money. 

I really wouldn't talk about double-standards if I were you...particularly when you consider what would have taken place had a conservative been outed for not paying taxes.  Take Gregg for instance.  How would you see Judd Gregg in the same situation that Tom Daschle found himself?  Be honest!  You would have been all over it, just like the monkey media! 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »
Not sure that this is what Beach is saying, but I do applaud the president's selection of someone known very well in Washington to be extremely frugal when it comes to spending our money. 

I really wouldn't talk about double-standards if I were you...particularly when you consider what would have taken place had a conservative been outed for not paying taxes.  Take Gregg for instance.  How would you see Judd Gregg in the same situation that Tom Daschle found himself?  Be honest!  You would have been all over it, just like the monkey media! 
wrong, I have been critical of dem wrongdoing on many occations.  I didn't mention much about Dachle just because I didn't, not because I was giving it a pass.  I've never liked Tom from the start, although for different reasons but I was never much of a fan and I did cringe when I heard his name mentioned at the start so no, I would not have approved of Tom or his tax problem had I posted on his nomination.
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=225283.msg3161716#msg3161716

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »
you sound bitter.  Don't worry, you're not the only hypocrite around here so at least you have your company of losers.  BB, you're just a sour rightwing douchebag, the only people who care what you think are your fellow rightwing hypocrites and I shouldn't have to tell anyone, I don't give a rats ass if you fools care what I think or not ;)   Oh and Obama doesn't "NEED" to have anyone right of center.  Like you shitheads will give him a speck of anything for it.  You'll take but there will be no give, typical of you jackasses.

Bitter?  LOL!  That would be you.  lol . . . . Oh that was funny.   :)  Go back and hide in your bunker and wait for the end of the world.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 02:14:41 PM »
Too bad. 

Republican Gregg withdraws as commerce secretary nominee
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Republican Sen. Judd Gregg of New Hampshire abruptly withdrew his nomination as commerce secretary today, citing "irresolvable conflicts" with President Barack Obama's handling of the economic stimulus and 2010 Census.

"We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy," Gregg said in a statement released by his Senate office.

Gregg, 61, is a former New Hampshire governor who previously served in the House. He has been in the Senate since 1993 and currently serves as the top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee, where he is known as a crusader against big spending.

He was Obama's second choice to fill the Commerce portfolio.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson withdrew several weeks ago in the wake of a grand jury investigation into alleged wrongdoing involving state contracts. He has not been implicated personally.

In his statement, Gregg thanked Obama for the nomination, and said, "I especially admire his willingness to reach across the aisle."

In citing the stimulus and Census, he said, "Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090212/BREAKING/90212077