Author Topic: When did Kamali jump the shark?  (Read 1780 times)

ag2

• Getbig III
  • President of the Peanut gallery.
When did Kamali jump the shark?
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
Ok we all know about the fat offseasons, huge gut, ruined physique, gay robot dances etc etc, but what I want to know is when did Kamali truly ruin his credibility?  please discuss, for me it was when Kamali went on radio saying he was going to expose Shawn Ray...but when the time came he didn't have the guts to say anything and left us hanging. Epic Fail ! and from that point forward he became a joke.  :P

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
Re: When did Kamali jump the shark?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »
Ok we all know about the fat offseasons, huge gut, ruined physique, gay robot dances etc etc, but what I want to know is when did Kamali truly ruin his credibility?  please discuss, for me it was when Kamali went on radio saying he was going to expose Shawn Ray...but when the time came he didn't have the guts to say anything and left us hanging. Epic Fail ! and from that point forward he became a joke.  :P

Imho, when he first stepped on the pro stage. Seriously, though. I have an old issue of FLEX where he's talking shit ... and I DO believe it was one of his first shows. It was at least his first year of competing. At that time, Shawn Ray and Craig Titus were his primary targets.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:54:29 AM »
The moment he opened his big fat donut inhaling mouth of his.
from incomplete data

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »
He totally went off the rails when he threatened to sue 240.     S-O-O-D!   

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »

Birth!

I called it first.

Hope this helps.    :D

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:43:58 AM »
Nasser addressed this earlier in a classic, informative post:

A few guys were discussing on my last thread why guys like Nasser and King lose the edge at a younger age compared to some of their peers. I asked Nasser for his view.

D

Here it is....Nassers answer:

Iranian born King Kamali moved at a young age to Western Europe and from there to the East Coast, USA. He won the Nationals Heavyweight division in October 1999 and turned pro. However Kamali did not win the Overall NPC title. Aaron Madron did. But again, in contrast to Aaron, Kamali showed more longevity and is still competing (as of the year 2008) and he has also competed in several Olympia contests. Personally I think that Kamali is a good bodybuilder but he became less so over the last couple of years. I also think this will continue into the future. He reached his peak some years ago. I can see this tendency in many bodybuilders.

At the beginning of the Amateur phase, everyone improves. Then with greater workouts, more muscle maturity, more discipline and more ambition, there is another phase of improvement, which is often rewarded with a pro card. From that point on, however, some people reach their potential like, for example, "drug free" Hawaiian Chris Faildo, welterweight and overall winner of the 2007 Team Universe, for whom it would have been a catastrophic mistake to enter the pro ranks, because there he would be, simply speaking, a nobody. The same also counts also for "drug free" Skip LaCour, overall Team Universe winner for 2002.

After their bodies peak, many guys begin stagnating physically, then they begin going slowly but surely, and sometimes faster, downhill. The descent is unstoppable.

I can name so many high caliber people it happened to: Arnold Schwarzenegger (former Mr. O and undeserved 1980 Mr. O winner), Samir Bannout (former Mr. O), or former Mr. O runner-up Ricardo Gaspari, known as the " Dragon killer ", or Dorian Yates’ descent in his last three out of six Mr. O wins. And the same happened to Ronnie Coleman in his last two Mr. O competitions (in 2006 and 2007). And now I see the exact same descending tendency in the reigning Mr. O, Jay Cutler, who seems to be increasingly coming in at less than his best shape. And this tendency was also reflected by my own physique in my last couple of shows.

The reason for the physical descent of former good or great physiques can have one specific reason or can be the result of a syndrome, if you will a combination of the following points:

1. The body is no longer responsive to anabolic steroids – the response has declined due to long-term (many years of) use. One of the very first prime examples from my personal observation would be Ricardo Gaspari).

2. The bodybuilder has simply had enough of the injustices committed by the judging panel, due to whatever reason.

3. The bodybuilder developed a dependency on recreational drugs which:
a. Made him mentally, psychologically and physically weaker in the long run, or
b. The recreational drugs caused multiple tears (as I do assume happened to characters like Dorian Yates).

4. The regular ageing process, which can make the bodybuilder lazier and also physically weaker.

5. The bodybuilder is mentally and psychologically burnt out from training, dieting, and competing, which can cause
a. A general lack of motivation and ambition due to injustices committed by the judging panel
b. External injury or injuries because of the "wear and tear" over many years.
c. A lack of caution while handling (heavy) weights, which can also cause muscle tears.

6. The body builder has experienced private turmoil, such as:
a. A split or divorce from his or her partner, and with this less support is available in many aspects.
b. Incarceration.
c. Dysfunctional lifestyle due to dysfunctional relationships.
d. An accident.

7. The bodybuilder has less money available for food, anabolic steroids and not enough money just for daily life due to:
a. Cancellation of his or her contract.
b. An expanding family (kids or additional kids).
8. The more genetically gifted bodybuilders have hit the pro ranks and the former great bodybuilder has now lost the edge.

9. Other priorities take over, such as:
a. Additional or better business adventures/opportunities.
b. Family / family issues
c. Different influences for different people – e.g.: sects/cults/religion.

10. Illness can be a huge factor as well:
a. The body becomes insulin resistant due to years of drug abuse or otherwise.
b. Cancer, leukaemia, kidney dysfunction and many other illnesses, diseases and conditions like:
- Alcoholism.
- Cardiovascular problems.
- Nerve damage.

I leave it up to the reader to form his or her own thesis regarding what happened to who and why.
In (Shahriar) Kamali’s case, however, I would say that his placements over the last couple of years were worse than before because of his body was “maxed-out" (point 1.)
Also point 10. a seems to be a factor from my point of view.

Kamali’s smack talk towards guys like the Chihuahua, Craig Titus and many others gave and are giving him just more fuel to stay in pro bodybuilding. Also it is quite entertaining to hear him talking. And I do not mean this in an ironic way at all.
I do think that ecstasy-loving party-animal King is also a hard training person and an intelligent man with a great sense of humour.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 04:39:41 PM »
...but when the time came he didn't have the guts to say anything and left us hanging.

That's pretty much ANY time he opens his mouth.... :-\

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:13:34 PM »

The day he started working with Chad.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
The day he moved out of his parents basement...

Hunter86

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »
The day he  out of his parents basement...

The day he moved moves out of his parents basement...

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 10:03:13 PM »
He totally went off the rails when he threatened to sue 240.     S-O-O-D!   

He threatened to sue the "240" off of here...getbig
D

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 10:13:46 PM »
The moment he made the mistake of thinking his "Pro" tag protected him on Getbig.

The photoshops followed about a nanosecond after that, and the rest is history!
Ron: "I am lazy."

jojo2371

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 03:14:36 AM »
How many spotters did he use to actually jump the shark ?

ag2

• Getbig III
  • President of the Peanut gallery.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
How many spotters did he use to actually jump the shark ?

;D