Author Topic: Why did you start watching wrestling ?  (Read 2745 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Why did you start watching wrestling ?
« on: February 05, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Me because of my old mans career, and my older brother was a huge fan. I when I was a kid I could not imagine doing anything eles.  I would walk around in my little tights and my dads wrestling shoes and wrestle my ultimate warrior wrestling buddy.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
Re: Why did you start watching wrestling ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
I was at junior school, about 8 or 9 years old, when the other kids started bringing the trading cards to school.  After that, I tried to follow it as best I could, but TV coverage in the UK was garbage.  I went to a live event in Sheffield for my 12th birthday as well.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:56:52 PM »
Me because of my old mans career, and my older brother was a huge fan. I when I was a kid I could not imagine doing anything eles.  I would walk around in my little tights and my dads wrestling shoes and wrestle my ultimate warrior wrestling buddy.

Not sure if you've answered this already, but have you done any work in the ring?  You could be the next member of Randy Orton's little group.   ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »

Gay boy in second & third grade + beefy men in trunks pawing all over each other = me watching.  :D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »
I started watching wrestling in Northern Ca sometime around 72-73 because we only got a couple channels that came in clear back then and the ones from Sacramento came in the clearest...

Rocky Johnson/Pat Patterson/Peter maivia/pepper martin/Ray Stevens.......San Fran/Nor Cal circuit guys

watched if for about 2 years and then never thought about it again until the mid 90's

back in the 70's sometime a mexican channel would come in and there would be wrestling from the olympic in L.A.....Ernie Ladd/Victor Rivera and a bunch of other Mexicans....

the shiek was my favorite,used to love when he'd throw fire into the other guys eyes....I had no idea he was probably 50 back then

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:14:42 PM »
Not sure if you've answered this already, but have you done any work in the ring?  You could be the next member of Randy Orton's little group.   ;D

Not really I helped teach at school for a while. My brother does the TV commentary for a Indy Organization.    

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 04:47:33 AM »
My older brothers and my dad always watched it.  We used to go to Mid-Atlantic shows on a pretty regular basis.  Always had a great time.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 09:07:26 AM »
My older brothers and my dad always watched it.  We used to go to Mid-Atlantic shows on a pretty regular basis.  Always had a great time.

I have a lot of old Mid Atlantic shows on tape.  There did some good stuff back then. 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:18:58 AM »
I started watching religiously when the NWO was formed.  Couln't get enough of that stuff. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »
I have a lot of old Mid Atlantic shows on tape.  There did some good stuff back then. 

Oh man, those were classic wrestling days.  Blackjack Mulligan, Wahoo, Flair, the Andersons, Paul Jones, the Baron, Steamboat, Youngblood, Greg Valentine, Piper, Brisco's ...I could go on forever!!!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »
Oh man, those were classic wrestling days.  Blackjack Mulligan, Wahoo, Flair, the Andersons, Paul Jones, the Baron, Steamboat, Youngblood, Greg Valentine, Piper, Brisco's ...I could go on forever!!!

I started watching regularly in 1977 when I was eight.  One of my first memories was Greg Valentine breaking Wahoo's leg...and also Blackjack Mulligan ripping Ric Flair's robe to shreads (face turn for Blackjack).  I went to a bunch of events at the Roanoke Civic Center.

I watched both NWA/WCW and WWF until about 1991, when I got married.  I would watch it after that for a few weeks at a time, but I haven't watched it at all in about five or six years.
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 02:46:40 PM »
I started watching regularly in 1977 when I was eight.  One of my first memories was Greg Valentine breaking Wahoo's leg...and also Blackjack Mulligan ripping Ric Flair's robe to shreads (face turn for Blackjack).  I went to a bunch of events at the Roanoke Civic Center.

I watched both NWA/WCW and WWF until about 1991, when I got married.  I would watch it after that for a few weeks at a time, but I haven't watched it at all in about five or six years.

you and I grew up watching the same stuff.  I remember when Valentine broke Wahoo's leg and had the t-shirt made...I always like Blackjack and Flair, so I hated their fued.  I went to the Asheville Civic Center, sometimes to Charlotte when visiting family, but mostly to the HS events.  It was so amazing to me to get that close to the "TV stars" hahaha, had a great time doing it.  I haven't watched on a regular basis since around 2000.  In the 90's it was more about getting together with buddies and having a few beers and watching.