Author Topic: AOL News - Angry voters flooding Capital with calls against Stimulus Bill  (Read 626 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Angry Voters Flood Capitol with Calls Against Stimulus
By Mark Impomeni
Feb 5th 2009 7:00PM
Filed Under:eSenate, House, Economy, Obama Administration

President Barack Obama's presidential campaign prided itself on being a grassroots effort. Obama aimed to inspire millions of Americans to engage in the political process, some for the first time, to help bring about change. But the Obama Administration and Congressional Democrats may be learning now that there is a flip side to inspiring Americans to action. If they don't get what they want, they will let their elected officials know about it.

Switchboard operators at the Capitol say that frustrated voters are jamming phone lines with calls to Senators and Congressmen against Obama's and the Democrats' proposed economic stimulus plan. Some Senators report that calls to their offices about the plan are running in the hundreds per day, up from just a handful last month. Voters are upset both at the cost of the plan, which is at over $900 billion currently, and the recent tax troubles of Obama Administration nominees, which is feeding the perception that there are different sets of rules for the well connected and the ordinary citizen.

Government and fiscal policy groups say they have seen an increase in calls, e-mails, and web site traffic from voter anger at the stimulus bill and the tax issues. David Williams, vice president of Citizens Against Government Waste, said that people are feeling like "suckers" for paying their taxes while so many Obama nominees have been shown to have not paid theirs. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington Deputy Director agreed, saying that frustration among the electorate is palpable.

"I think the average American is looking at their taxes during tax time and saying 'Wow, I pay my taxes. Why aren't these guys?'"
________________________ ________________________ _

I called my Senators and voiced my opinion.

So should all of you.

This is a disgrace.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: AOL News - Angry voters flooding Capital with calls against Stimulus Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:36:08 AM »
Absolutely, thank you for your efforts man.  I emailed as well.

The #s supporting the spending package have been dropping every week...and I believe there is some overestimation in some of the polling samples.  very few people I know are in support of the current bill.  Even fewer people (in both parties) are for the bill once they have read some of the details.
I am really dissapointed in the non-blue dog democrats on this one and dissapointed that Obama is not doing enough to reign them in.  I am loosing the mediocre hope I had in Obama.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:04:13 AM »
Absolutely, thank you for your efforts man.  I emailed as well.

The #s supporting the spending package have been dropping every week...and I believe there is some overestimation in some of the polling samples.  very few people I know are in support of the current bill.  Even fewer people (in both parties) are for the bill once they have read some of the details.
I am really dissapointed in the non-blue dog democrats on this one and dissapointed that Obama is not doing enough to reign them in.  I am loosing the mediocre hope I had in Obama.

Obama is going to be a miserable failure if he lets Pelosi run the show.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »
I placed a polite and quick call to Senator Voinovich's office to ask for him to vote no to the current stimulus package...they said ok quickly and hung up.  Didn't seem like they were logging calls or really cared.  Nonetheless, if many people are calling, his staff will be talking about it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »
I placed a polite and quick call to Senator Voinovich's office to ask for him to vote no to the current stimulus package...they said ok quickly and hung up.  Didn't seem like they were logging calls or really cared.  Nonetheless, if many people are calling, his staff will be talking about it.

I remember when they pushed amnesty.  I was on the phone daily.  I called both the offices in DC and my states as well as faxed them letters.

These people work for us, not the other way around.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:51:11 AM »
Just called his washington office and got a much better reception.  The staff member said he is still opposed to the bill in its current state.